Windows 10: External Hard-drive crashes when i try to access it

Discus and support External Hard-drive crashes when i try to access it in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a Toshiba 2TB Canvio USB 3.0 Desktop Hard Drive, it was working yesterday but I am now having problems with accessing it today. I connected it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by leelowry, Dec 16, 2015.

1. leelowry Win User

External Hard-drive crashes when i try to access it

I have a Toshiba 2TB Canvio USB 3.0 Desktop Hard Drive, it was working yesterday but I am now having problems with accessing it today.
    I connected it today and in my computer it shows up as Local Disk (GExternal Hard-drive crashes when i try to access it :), when I click onto it to try and access it file explorer crashes and only sorts itself out when the drive is unplugged.
    I tried uninstalling the driving and had no luck with it, can't access anything that involves the hard drive to format it either

Is there anything else I can try?

:)

leelowry, Dec 16, 2015

2. windows explorer crashes when opening an external hard drive.

Hey David,

Thanks for your answer.

1. The external hard drive I'm trying to access has windows 8.1 installed. The pc I use to access the hard drive runs on windows 10.

2. When file explorer crashes there are no error messages except File Explorer (Not Responding) in the upper left corner of the window. When I disconnect the drive File Explorer unfreezes and works normaly again.

3. I scanned my whole system and there was some malware. I removed the malware but the drive still crashes the file explorer application.

Thanks in advance

GwydionOostvogel, Dec 16, 2015
  3. CERogers Win User
    Can not back up to new external hard drive

I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10. Before doing this upgrade, I backed up my Windows 7 OS to an older, external hard drive. When I upgraded to Windows 10, there was not enough room left in the older external hard drive to back up the new OS and my
    files so I deleted the old hard drive in order to add a new external hard drive.

The new external hard drive plugs into a usb port and is visible in the device manager and is working properly and has the most updated drivers. It has no additional software to use. However, it is NOT visible when I try to access it in the file history
    to back up my files nor is it visible when I try to access it in order to make a system image of my new Windows 10 OS. The only hard drives visible are my main laptop hard drive and the CD/DVD drive if I want to make copies onto a CD or DVD.

How do I access this new hard drive?

CERogers, Dec 16, 2015
  4. philc43 Win User

Hello and welcome to the Tenforums!

Interesting problem. I, too, have the same external drive but when plugged into my USB3 port it shows up as TOSHIBA EXT (E: ).

This suggests to me that your registry has got corrupted in some way because it should not be showing up as a Local Disk. Can you check how it appears in Disk Management (right click on the start button to access this)?

To restore your registry the simplest way would be to restore your system to a restore point before this happened, but that all depends upon whether you set up W10 to create restore points or not. Hopefully you did.

philc43, Dec 16, 2015
  5. leelowry Win User
    I have opened the Disc Management after it finally loads this is what it shows:

External Hard-drive crashes when i try to access it [​IMG]

I did set up restore points on my laptop unfortunately they arn't working when I go to restore my laptop restarts and comes up with a error saying it was unsuccessful, this is the same result when i try other restore points aswell.

leelowry, Dec 17, 2015
  6. philc43 Win User
    I'm not sure what you are using your external drive for but looking at the Disk Management view it shows that there is an EFI system partition on it which I would not expect to see unless you are attempting to boot from it.

If you do not need any of the data on it I would reformat the external drive and have just the one partition, this will sort it out. You can do this via Disk Management.

philc43, Dec 18, 2015
  7. leelowry Win User
    I am trying to access the Disc Management to see if that will work, it keeps freezing on the Connecting to Virtual Disk Service. When I remove the hard drive it loads up, i tried to run it in safe mode but still getting the same issue

leelowry, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. External Hard-drive crashes when i try to access it - Similar Threads - External Hard drive

2. frequent error trying to access external hard drives

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    frequent error trying to access external hard drives: My wife's Windows 11 computer, a Dell Optiplex 7080 micro, has three external USB hard drives connected to it. She uses them for backup of particularly important files.Intermittently, but far too often, when she goes to save a file on one of these drives, she'll get a small...
  3. frequent error trying to access external hard drives

in Windows 10 Gaming
    frequent error trying to access external hard drives: My wife's Windows 11 computer, a Dell Optiplex 7080 micro, has three external USB hard drives connected to it. She uses them for backup of particularly important files.Intermittently, but far too often, when she goes to save a file on one of these drives, she'll get a small...
  4. External Hard Drive Toshiba - Laptop crashes when I try and do anything with it

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External Hard Drive Toshiba - Laptop crashes when I try and do anything with it: I've got a 1TB toshiba external HD. It stopped working, and now when I plug it in / try and reformat or do anything with it my laptop just crashes! I would be grateful of any help or suggestions :...
  5. External Hard Drive Toshiba - Laptop crashes when I try and do anything with it

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External Hard Drive Toshiba - Laptop crashes when I try and do anything with it: I've got a 1TB toshiba external HD. It stopped working, and now when I plug it in / try and reformat or do anything with it my laptop just crashes! I would be grateful of any help or suggestions :...
  6. External Hard Drive Toshiba - Laptop crashes when I try and do anything with it

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. External Hard Drive No Access

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External Hard Drive No Access: My external Seagate Backup Plus Drive shows up as E:\ when I plug it in but is not able to be accessed. I could see under right click properties that it was an NTFS drive and the name but zero for used, free, and capacity. I could get in from the command prompt and got one...
  8. External Hard Drive 100% when accessed

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    External Hard Drive 100% when accessed: Every time I access my external hard drive, it jumps to 100% usage and stays that way for about 15 minutes. Ithink it is windows defender scanning it, but I'm not sure. Also: even after the scan is complete, if I try to copy a file to it from a flash drive, it will jump up...
  9. External Hard drive not accessible

External Hard drive not accessible: My external hard drive was unplugged accidently. When i plugged it back into the computer, it recogonized a previous error with it and was in the process of fixing those errors automatically when it was accidentally unplugged again. Now when i plug in my external drive the...
  10. External Hard drive not accessible...

External Hard drive not accessible...: Hi All, External Hard drive not accessible...? I have 1TB Seagate Backup Plus Slim 200gb cloud Hard Drive. It was working fine on Win 7 earlier, I formatted my desktop and installed win 7 OS since then my exernal hard drive is not initializing. My external hdd was not...