Windows 10: External hard drive crashes windows explorer

Discus and support External hard drive crashes windows explorer in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; My drive is partitioned into two, a 276 gb and a 16gb one. Both had the problem two days ago but I solved it in the big one formatting it. However, it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/alfred_god, Apr 28, 2020.

1. External hard drive crashes windows explorer

My drive is partitioned into two, a 276 gb and a 16gb one. Both had the problem two days ago but I solved it in the big one formatting it. However, it won't let me do the same in the small one, even on third party programs (WBFS manager).
    Disk management doesn't do anything until I unplug the drive, diskpart in CMD does the same, chkdsk too. It still crashes on safe mode.

Has any of you had this problem? Does anyone know how to solve it?

submitted by /u/alfred_god
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/alfred_god, Apr 28, 2020
  2. Remon Ont Win User

External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, Apr 28, 2020
  3. Zero Ice Win User
    Windows Explorer crashes whenever I open my external HDD or thumb drive in explorer..

Windows Explorer crashes whenever I open my external HDD or thumb drive in explorer..

So, I open up My Computer, open my F Drive and boom: "Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and must close". It is really annoying! I am fine everywhere else in explorer, but something just screws up when I try the external HDD (USB) or my thumb drive.

Can anyone help?

Zero Ice, Apr 28, 2020
  4. External hard drive crashes windows explorer

External Hard Drive Crashes Window Explorer

Hi,

A hard drive may crash due to a faulty sector or at times it could also be an issue that is something related to the hardware. That being said, we would need the answers to the following questions for us to identify what troubleshooting steps to apply:

• Aside from performing a test if the external drives are working on other computers, what are the other troubleshooting steps you've performed?
    • Is the issue happening on a different user profile?
    • Have you tried checking if a USB storage device with small memory capacity has the same issue?

In the meantime, you can perform these steps for initial troubleshooting:

Method 1: Running the Hardware troubleshooter

You can run the hardware troubleshooter by clicking on this
    link. For future reference, you can keep this
    article as this also include a list of troubleshooters that you can use.

Method 2: Performing Clean Boot

Perform a clean boot on your computer to ensure that there are no possible conflicting
    programs that may run in the background that could cause the halt when using your external drive.

After performing clean boot, we advise that you enable each services after each restart on your computer while your external drive is connected. This is for us to see if what program might be running on the background
    that may trigger the crash specially when accessing your external drive. If all services are already enabled and still the issue persists, best to perform the next methods.

Method 3: Running the Disk Defrag

You can also do a Disk Defragmentation on your Windows to ensure
    that sectors (Memory on your drive) are organized and would be easy for the system to be read. Doing this won't be affecting your files though it is still a best practice to have all your
    personal files backed up.

Method 4: Updating your USB Drivers

There is still a possibility why your computer crashes when accessing your external drive as the USB drivers might be having a hard time reading your external drive due to possible outdated drivers. We suggest ensuring that all your
    USB drivers are up-to-date by manually downloading the drivers from your computer's manufacturer before uninstalling and reinstalling your drivers and firmware. You can also do these steps to update your
    USB Universal Bus Drivers:

• On your keyboard, press Windows + X and click on Device Manager.
    • Search and expand Universal Serial Bus (USB) host controller.
    • Next, right click on All the drivers and click Update.

Please don't hesitate to get back to us with an update.

Darleen Pen, Apr 28, 2020
Thema:

External hard drive crashes windows explorer

1. External hard drive crashes windows explorer - Similar Threads - External hard drive

2. External Hard Drive Crashes Windows Explorer and Computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Hard Drive Crashes Windows Explorer and Computer: Hello,I’m currently experiencing a problem with my external hard drive, WD My Passport Ultra.When I was transferring a file to the WD drive the wire got disconnected and now the drive does not work.When I connect my drive to the computer, the green bar showing the drive...
  3. External Hard Drive Crashes Windows Explorer and Computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External Hard Drive Crashes Windows Explorer and Computer: Hello,I’m currently experiencing a problem with my external hard drive, WD My Passport Ultra.When I was transferring a file to the WD drive the wire got disconnected and now the drive does not work.When I connect my drive to the computer, the green bar showing the drive...
  4. External Hard Drive Not Appearing in Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Hard Drive Not Appearing in Explorer: Hello -I am trying to access an external hard drive, which is not appearing in explorer. Following some other guides, I am able to see it both under disk management and system > storage > disks and volumes. It is showing up as "Disk 2" and does not have a letter name which I...
  5. External Hard Drive Not Appearing in Explorer

External Hard Drive Not Appearing in Explorer: Hello -I am trying to access an external hard drive, which is not appearing in explorer. Following some other guides, I am able to see it both under disk management and system > storage > disks and volumes. It is showing up as "Disk 2" and does not have a letter name which I...
  6. external hard drive crash issue

external hard drive crash issue: my touro external hard drive crasheswhen i open touro to copy, paste, browse files the crash happens many times after a short timeit starts with my computer not being responsivewhat happens is mouse cursor slowly stuttering across the screen for few secsthen my desktop,...
  7. WINDOW EXPLORER CRASHED WHEN INSERTING EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    WINDOW EXPLORER CRASHED WHEN INSERTING EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE: My hard drive was normal until today. When I plug my hard drive into my computer, the Windows Explorer could not load the hard drive and it turned to be crashed without any error announcement. When I plug the hard drive out, my computer turned to normal. Is there any way to...
  8. Windows explorer crashes can't open external hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows explorer crashes can't open external hard drive: I see so many threads for this issue, yet none of those threads have working answers :. I bought a Toshiba Canvio Advance Portable 2TB External Harddrive about a month ago, and finally got around to using it about a week ago. Used about 500Gb of the memory until it suddenly...
  9. My external Hard Drive is causing windows explorer to crash

My external Hard Drive is causing windows explorer to crash: I need help When I tried to open my external hard drive in the windows explorer, it crashes. Also, the loading in windows explorer takes forever when my external hard drive is plugged in. I different ways to format it but the windows explorer always crushes....
  10. Windows Explore not recognizing External Hard Drive

Windows Explore not recognizing External Hard Drive: So my old computer broke a while back. I've successfully accessed this hard drive before on both of my other computers (Surface 3 and hp pavilion). Today I wanted to see if I had anymore data left that I wanted to move from the drive. I use a sata drive adapter (same one I've...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. win 10 external drive crashes explorer