Windows 10: External hard drive crashing windows explorer in windows 10, command CHKDSK /P does not work

Discus and support External hard drive crashing windows explorer in windows 10, command CHKDSK /P does not work in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I'm trying to format my hard drive, it is a 2TB Seagate expansion drive, and i'm unable to right click/open it because windows file explorer will crash... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by RobbieRatcliff, Nov 22, 2018.

1. External hard drive crashing windows explorer in windows 10, command CHKDSK /P does not work

I'm trying to format my hard drive, it is a 2TB Seagate expansion drive, and i'm unable to right click/open it because windows file explorer will crash immediately after clicking on it. I've tried to run check disk in command prompt but that does not work, and after letting the device troubleshooter run for about 30 minutes I gave up. Does anyone know if I can format the drive without using file explorer?

:)

RobbieRatcliff, Nov 22, 2018
  2. Zero Ice Win User

Windows Explorer crashes whenever I open my external HDD or thumb drive in explorer..

Windows Explorer crashes whenever I open my external HDD or thumb drive in explorer..

So, I open up My Computer, open my F Drive and boom: "Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and must close". It is really annoying! I am fine everywhere else in explorer, but something just screws up when I try the external HDD (USB) or my thumb drive.

Can anyone help?

Zero Ice, Nov 22, 2018
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Nov 22, 2018
  4. jsmin Win User

External hard drive crashing windows explorer in windows 10, command CHKDSK /P does not work

Windows Explorer crashes and thumbnails problem

Hi, I hope you can help me.
    Windows Explorer is no longer showing thumbnails on files played by Windows Media Player. I've run cmd and regsvr32 shmedia.dll and regsvr32 shimgvw.dll. That seemed to solve the problem...but it created a different one. Now when I try to open a folder on an external hard drive it crashes. I read in an old 2008 post it was an avi file causing the problem and suggested the run cmd regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll. That solved the opening problem but recreated the thumbnail problem. Any help to achieve both functions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

jsmin, Nov 22, 2018
Thema:

External hard drive crashing windows explorer in windows 10, command CHKDSK /P does not work

1. External hard drive crashing windows explorer in windows 10, command CHKDSK /P does not work - Similar Threads - External hard drive

2. External Hard Drive Crashes Windows Explorer and Computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Hard Drive Crashes Windows Explorer and Computer: Hello,I’m currently experiencing a problem with my external hard drive, WD My Passport Ultra.When I was transferring a file to the WD drive the wire got disconnected and now the drive does not work.When I connect my drive to the computer, the green bar showing the drive...
  3. External Hard Drive Crashes Windows Explorer and Computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External Hard Drive Crashes Windows Explorer and Computer: Hello,I’m currently experiencing a problem with my external hard drive, WD My Passport Ultra.When I was transferring a file to the WD drive the wire got disconnected and now the drive does not work.When I connect my drive to the computer, the green bar showing the drive...
  4. External Hard Drive crashes Windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External Hard Drive crashes Windows 10: So, I noticed almost identical issues in a Mentioned Thread that I have encountered with my 2TB Seagate External Hard Drive. It worked amazingly when I first got it, and for about 2 weeks it continued doing well. No clicking or signs of anything wrong. Nothing.However,...
  5. WINDOW EXPLORER CRASHED WHEN INSERTING EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    WINDOW EXPLORER CRASHED WHEN INSERTING EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE: My hard drive was normal until today. When I plug my hard drive into my computer, the Windows Explorer could not load the hard drive and it turned to be crashed without any error announcement. When I plug the hard drive out, my computer turned to normal. Is there any way to...
  6. External hard drive crashes windows explorer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    External hard drive crashes windows explorer: My drive is partitioned into two, a 276 gb and a 16gb one. Both had the problem two days ago but I solved it in the big one formatting it. However, it won't let me do the same in the small one, even on third party programs (WBFS manager). Disk management doesn't do anything...
  7. Windows explorer crashes can't open external hard drive

Windows explorer crashes can't open external hard drive: I see so many threads for this issue, yet none of those threads have working answers :. I bought a Toshiba Canvio Advance Portable 2TB External Harddrive about a month ago, and finally got around to using it about a week ago. Used about 500Gb of the memory until it suddenly...
  8. My external Hard Drive is causing windows explorer to crash

My external Hard Drive is causing windows explorer to crash: I need help When I tried to open my external hard drive in the windows explorer, it crashes. Also, the loading in windows explorer takes forever when my external hard drive is plugged in. I different ways to format it but the windows explorer always crushes....
  9. Windows 10 explorer does not find my external hard drives.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 explorer does not find my external hard drives.: Windows 10 explorer does not find my external hard drives. When I go to disk management I find them there! But I can't access them in explorers! I get in touch with them on a portable win 10 machine! What can be done?...
  10. External Hard Drive Crashing Windows 10

External Hard Drive Crashing Windows 10: I am using a WD Elements 3TB hardrive with my Windows 10 PC. Usually, I would plug my external HDD in and it would function normally. However, all of a sudden it is now not working. When plugged in, it shows as Local Disk J: where it would normally show as WD Elements...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. wd elements se causing windows explorer to crash

2. Why do WD Elements crash Windows 10

3. windows 10 explorer crashes external hard drive

4. external hard drive crashing windows explorer