Windows 10: External hard drive doesn't show up in File Explorer

Discus and support External hard drive doesn't show up in File Explorer in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have an external hard drive that doesn't show up in File Explorer. It does show up in the settings area under Bluetooth and Other Devices. I've been... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by LindaNichols1, Jul 18, 2020.

1. External hard drive doesn't show up in File Explorer

I have an external hard drive that doesn't show up in File Explorer. It does show up in the settings area under Bluetooth and Other Devices. I've been reading online how to resolve this and have seen that possibly a drive letter is not assigned so have tried to go to Disk Management to troubleshoot but quite honestly don't know what I'm looking at. Disk Management shows Drive 0, partition 1, Drive 0, partition 4, and Windows C: in the top section and Disk O and CD-Rom 0 in the bottom section. I don't know how to identify which if any of these is the external hard drive. Would appreciate any help as I am not tech savvy at all!

:)

LindaNichols1, Jul 18, 2020
  2. Remon Ont Win User

External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, Jul 18, 2020
  3. File Explorer doesn't show my external hard drive

File Explorer doesn't show my external hard drive even though it does in Device mgr. under USB devices. Upon opening Disk Mgr. it looks like the small partition is "healthy" but the rest of the hard drive says unallocated. When I plugged it in today I
    got an error message that said it was too old for the 3.0 USB port but has been working fine previously. It has a lot of my backups on it so I would at least like to transfer them to a new hard drive. Any suggestions? I've tried it on another computer and
    file explorer doesn't show it on that one either yet does in Device mrg. I'm running Windows 10 64 bit. Can't find a version #.

Thanks in advance!

MichelleLintvedt, Jul 18, 2020
  4. External hard drive doesn't show up in File Explorer

My External Toshiba DVD Drive doesn't show up

Hi Charsmann,

The above issue might occur if a drive letter is not allotted to the external drive.

Please reply, did you try removing and re-plugging the driver to the PC?

Since the drive shows in Device manager, I suggest you to remove the external drive and re-plug to check if the issue is resolved.

If the issue persists, check if you are able to open the drive via
    Disk management
    by following the steps below:

• Connect the external drive to the PC, press Windows logo + X keys on the keyboard and select
      Disk management option from the context menu. Check if the drive is visible in the window.
    • If visible, right click on the external drive and select Open. Check if you are able to open the drive in
      File Explorer.
    • Close the Disk management window, open File Explorer (Windows logo + E keys on the keyboard) and check if the changes are effective.

Write to us with the status of the external drive not showing in File Explorer on the PC for further assistance. Your reply is important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Jul 18, 2020
Thema:

External hard drive doesn't show up in File Explorer

1. External hard drive doesn't show up in File Explorer - Similar Threads - External hard drive

2. Toshiba external hard drive shows up in control panel but not in file explorer.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Toshiba external hard drive shows up in control panel but not in file explorer.: I'm trying to access information on a Toshiba external drive but the drive isn't appearing in file explorer. I've tried plugging it into a few different USB ports, but it still won't appear in file explorer. I know my computer is aware of the external hard drive because it...
  3. Toshiba external hard drive shows up in control panel but not in file explorer.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Toshiba external hard drive shows up in control panel but not in file explorer.: I'm trying to access information on a Toshiba external drive but the drive isn't appearing in file explorer. I've tried plugging it into a few different USB ports, but it still won't appear in file explorer. I know my computer is aware of the external hard drive because it...
  4. External D Drive doesn't show up on file explorer.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External D Drive doesn't show up on file explorer.: I got the 'USB Device Not Recognized' message last week while trying to plug in my external drive, it doesn't show up in file explorer, none of the files have been deleted and as far as I know it is recoverable. Can someone help with this one? Mine is 10586.122 and version...
  5. External Seagate Hard Drive not showing in File Explorer

External Seagate Hard Drive not showing in File Explorer: My Seagate Plus Hard Drive was working fine, I went on a trip and took it with me. It was in a padded case and protected. I tried to plug it into my laptop which is running Windows 10, and it wouldn't show up in File Explorer. I came home and tried it on the computer that...
  6. External hard drive not showing up

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External hard drive not showing up: I just downloaded windows on a flash drive then plugged it into my pc but when i go to select where i want to download windows nothing shows up. Please help...
  7. External Hard Drive not showing up in File Explorer

External Hard Drive not showing up in File Explorer: I have an external hard drive that I can't get to show up in the file explorer, I can see the drive in disk management though. I was thinking the drive doesn't have a letter assigned to it so maybe that's the problem but it won't let me give it one or change it from disk...
  8. external hard drive not showing up in explorer

external hard drive not showing up in explorer: my external hard drive has been dropped from a metere hight and when i connect to laptop It is recognized as a device and showing up in device manager but not appearing in windows explorer. In disk manager its showing as Disk 1 and initialize , i tried to initialize but its...
  9. Hard Drive doesn't show up in file explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hard Drive doesn't show up in file explorer: [ATTACH]My 1 TB hard drive doesn't show up in the file explorer despite me being able to see it in device manager and the defragmenter software in windows 10. I don't want to format my hard drive because it has alot of my personal files and i don't have another computer to...
  10. External Hard Drive Not Showing UP

External Hard Drive Not Showing UP: Hello, I am using a WD external hard drive to transfer files from one Windows 10 machine to others. The first machine saw the disk fine, and I added all of the data. The next two machines saw the disk fine, and I transferred all of the date. The fourth machine does not...