Windows 10: External Hard drive freezes when I connect to Windows 10

Discus and support External Hard drive freezes when I connect to Windows 10 in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have iomega eGo external hard drive, and when I connect it to my PC with windows 10, it freezes and I am not able to copy anything to computer. Any... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Jinal_new, Jun 15, 2020.

1. Jinal_new Win User

External Hard drive freezes when I connect to Windows 10

I have iomega eGo external hard drive, and when I connect it to my PC with windows 10, it freezes and I am not able to copy anything to computer. Any pointers will be really appreciated.

:)

Jinal_new, Jun 15, 2020
  2. Marco Gav Win User

unrecognised external hard drive on Windows 10

Since you already reinstalled the drivers of the External Hard Drive, let's run the
    Hardware and Devices troubleshooter as it can resolve your concern. You can do that by following these steps:

• Press the Start button.

• Type and select Troubleshooting.

• Click on View all on the left panel.

• Select and run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter.

If the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter doesn’t resolve your concern, we suggest that you change the letter of the External Hard Drive. You can do that by following these steps:

• Press the Start button.

• Type and select Control panel.

• Select System and Security.

• Select Administrative Tools, and a new window will appear.

• Double-click Computer Management, and a new window will appear.

• Select Disk Management that is located under
      Storage
      in the left pane.

• Right click on the External Hard Drive that is not showing on the File Explorer.

• Select Change letter and network path, and a new window will appear.

• Select Change, and choose the letter that you want for the External Hard Drive.

After changing the letter of the External Hard Drive, we suggest that you reboot your laptop for the changes to take effect.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Marco Gav, Jun 15, 2020
  3. External hard drive not suppoted after anniversary update windows 10

To isolate the issue, we suggest that you perform the following steps below:

• Connect the external hard drive to the different port and check if the issue persists.
    • Use different external hard drive to connect to the same port and check if same issue happens.

If the same issue happens after using different external hard drive to different ports, try to run
    Hardware and Devices troubleshooter as it checks for common problem and make sure that any new devices or hardware connected to your PC is installed correctly. Here's how:

• Press Windows key from the keyboard, type Troubleshooting and select it.
    • Click on view all option on the upper left corner of Troubleshooting window.
    • Select the Hardware and Device options from the list.
    • Click Next to run the Hardware and Device Troubleshooter.

After that, follow the steps on how to Install and Update drivers
    in Windows 10

Let us know how it goes.

Thank you.

Acelyn Alc, Jun 15, 2020
  4. Remon Ont Win User

External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, Jun 15, 2020
Thema:

1. External Hard drive freezes when I connect to Windows 10 - Similar Threads - External Hard drive

2. External Hard drive freezes computer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External Hard drive freezes computer: Hi, I have this external hard drive that freezes my computer every time I plug it in. Iv had it for about 3 weeks now and would really like to not have to buy a another one. I dont mine if I have to lose data on it to get it back, I have tried to look up how to fix it but...
  3. External Hard drive freezes computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Hard drive freezes computer: Hi, I have this external hard drive that freezes my computer every time I plug it in. Iv had it for about 3 weeks now and would really like to not have to buy a another one. I dont mine if I have to lose data on it to get it back, I have tried to look up how to fix it but...
  4. External Hard drive freezes computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Connecting an old Windows 10 internal Hard Drive as if it was an external hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Connecting an old Windows 10 internal Hard Drive as if it was an external hard drive: I recently bought a new Windows 10 PC but kept the old hard drive from my previous Windows 10 PC. I bought the connector cable to plug it to a USB port in as if it were an external hard drive, but Windows keeps wanting to recognize it as a floppy drive. How do I get Windows...
  6. hard drive gets full when external drive is connected

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    hard drive gets full when external drive is connected: when I leave my laptop turned on my drive C: will gain 100 gigabytes per night if one of my external hard drives are connected!!! I scan the drive for virus and malware and everything seems ok both on my computer and the external drive. laptop: Lenovo Flex 5 OS: Windows...
  7. Connecting external hard drive to windows 10

Connecting external hard drive to windows 10: I have purchased an external hard drive and connected it to my Windows 10 laptop but it does not appear anywhere on the computer. Not in file manager, not in device manager, nowhere. I have tried everything. I have deleted and reinstalled drivers, I have updated drivers, I...
  8. Connecting External hard drive

Connecting External hard drive: How do I connect an external hard drive, with data files https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/connecting-external-hard-drive/b1670bab-3009-4da3-b712-006026fefcfe
  9. External hard drive not showing up when connected

External hard drive not showing up when connected: Hi there - I connected my Seagate 2Tb external HD my laptop and while the drive turns on (light activated and disk spinning), the drive is not showing up as connected to my computer. I've used this drive with this same laptop many times previously without any complication....
  10. Freezing external hard drives

Freezing external hard drives: I've been trying to transfer files to several external hard drives of mine in order to clear up space on my HDD, however every time I do begin a transfer, it will only do so for about 2-3 seconds, and then the transfer rate will drop rapidly until it is 0mb/s. It remains...