Windows 10: External hard drive has lost most of its capacity

Discus and support External hard drive has lost most of its capacity in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; When I first installed my WD 2.0TB external hard drive 2 weeks ago on my Windows 10 HP Pavilion using my I Insignia docking station, it showed 1.81 TB... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by TomJeffrey1, Apr 14, 2019.

1. External hard drive has lost most of its capacity

When I first installed my WD 2.0TB external hard drive 2 weeks ago on my Windows 10 HP Pavilion using my I Insignia docking station, it showed 1.81 TB of storage space. Now it shows only 34 GB. What did I do wrong? How can I get the full storage back?

:)

TomJeffrey1, Apr 14, 2019
  2. Anon7861 Win User

Capacity of external system image hard drive

In creating a system image, what capacity hard drive the backup must be saved on?
    Should the capacity of the external hard drive equal or exceed that of the source drive?

In the event of a system crash, how is the operating system restored with the system image created?

Anon7861, Apr 14, 2019
  3. Remon Ont Win User
    External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, Apr 14, 2019
  4. External hard drive has lost most of its capacity

Lost storage capacity on external hard drive after recovery setup

Hello Joe,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

We understand the inconvenience you have experienced. Let us know few things to assist you.

• When you say "performing a recovery setup", you mean to say creating a Recovery drive for Windows 10?
    • Is that External drive is empty or does it contain anything?
    • If it contains nothing, then did you tried performing a disk format?
    • How and looking where did you confirm the drive capacity as 32 GB?
    • Did you check the capacity of the drive by connecting to another computer?
    Give us above details to assist you better.

Yashwanth Kotakuri, Apr 14, 2019
Thema:

External hard drive has lost most of its capacity

1. External hard drive has lost most of its capacity - Similar Threads - External hard drive

2. Hard Drive Not Showing Full Capacity

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hard Drive Not Showing Full Capacity: I recently redownloaded windows 11 from a USB onto my PC, but my storage is only showing 13 GBs. I have a 1 TB Hard Drive but it shows the maximum storage as only 13 GBs. All my drivers are updated and there doesn't seem to be any partitions that are hidden. Can anyone help?...
  3. Using an external hard drive to increase storage capacity of internal hard drive in windows 10

Using an external hard drive to increase storage capacity of internal hard drive in windows 10: Hello.I have been trying to extend a volume by using Disk Management in windows 10.But without success. I am not sure I'm doing the right thing.My internal disk is filling up so I connected an external hard drive to extend the capacity. Disk Management does not seem work....
  4. The hard drive Capacity is Wrong.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    The hard drive Capacity is Wrong.: I upgraded from a 120GB SSD to a 250GB SSD. When I installed the system image it said I only have about 5GB left as if it was the 120GB hard drive. How do I partition this to show the right storage amount? submitted by /u/nwl5 [link] [comments]...
  5. Bitlocker Lost External Hard Drive

Bitlocker Lost External Hard Drive: I plugged my external hard drive into my computer. I asked me if I wanted to encrypt the hard drive and I said yes. It gave me an error saying that it could not encrypt it because it had boot up files on it. Now the external drive cannot be recognized on any computer I plug...
  6. I've lost most of my external drives.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    I've lost most of my external drives.: I have 8 external drives and all but 6 of them are usable. I did find a virus just prior to one of my drives becoming corrupt and every day for the last week I've lost the rest of the drives. This virus find was also the same day as windows 10 updated, just a coincidence?...
  7. External Hard Drive Mounted but now lost

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    External Hard Drive Mounted but now lost: How do you find an external hard drive after you change the drive letter and path in disk management? I need to find this in order to recover a very important file. When I plug in the external hard drive now, it does not show up in This PC. When I try to scan with Recuva,...
  8. External hard drive storage lost

External hard drive storage lost: Hello! My name is donald and i need your help like seriously... I tried to format my HD of 1TB that was in exfat to NTFS but it didn’t achieve and i couldn’t have access to it no more, i tried to check on ease partition what was going on and i saw my HD when unallocated and...
  9. External drive reporting wrong capacity

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    External drive reporting wrong capacity: Hi All, We use a 1tb Western Digital USB3 external drive for a system backup on a desktop PC under windows 10. After formatting it's showing 931gb capacity. The Windows Image Backup file is approx 560gb. Problem is the drive is now saying there is only 79gb space...
  10. External Hard Drive Capacity?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External Hard Drive Capacity?: Given my new PC has 2TB then should I have a 2TB external hard drive for backup? I'm considering nothing other than equipped capacities. Truthfully, I currently have no idea how much of that 2TB will be used. I just want to be on the safe side. Thanks 69318