Windows 10: external hard drive is locked

Discus and support external hard drive is locked in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I add an external hard drive, Seagate Expansion Drive. I moved my Libraries, including my iTunes library and all the files, from my internal hard drive... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by TigerWizard, Sep 18, 2018.

1. external hard drive is locked

I add an external hard drive, Seagate Expansion Drive. I moved my Libraries, including my iTunes library and all the files, from my internal hard drive (c://). I now have several problems. A network path to this drive, appears to go through another external drive. E: libraries on Segate...//E://WD Passport.. It seems to have the network drives all jumbled. Then iTunes cannot open because the drive / folders I point the library to is 'locked'. There is also something about wanting a folder for the iTunes Music library file to have a different name.

Windows Defenders is giving me a fit and it part of the problem. it is where these error message about blocked access to... with 3 or 4 locations blocked. They are paths to things on the Seagate Expansion Drive, for example: iTunes.exe due to a blocked path to the Seagate Drive where I moved all of the "MUSIC" library. Another is the Seagate dashboard is blocked.

I will never figure this out alone. I feel I have gone in circles. I expanded the security setting for the drive and the folders where the Music Library is on the Seagate expansion drive. I cannot find a property for this 'controlled folder access'. It shows as a Windows Defender error message.

My files are all here. But the reference to the drive and it name and path appears secondary to another external drive that is not even hooked up. With only three USB ports it is impossible to connect all my removable drives without using a hub. But the Seagate is directly on a USB, I connected to old Passport and it is seems ok but I was getting rid of it by adding this 4TB Seagate Expansion Drive. I have three other externals that I intended to move files from to the new Seagate Expansion but these problem are in the way of progress.

On August 12, 2018 I added the drive, reduced the files on the c:// … Library by moving most of it to the new drive. I Noticed that OneDrive is displaying something I had not seen before - status of folders or file as syncing, in the cloud and downloaded, using symbols in the File Explorer views. Now, Sept 17, 2018 there are all these errors.

I feel that the Windows environment is changing without me knowing of the changes and same is for Windows Defender.

I need some step by step instruction if anyone can even figure out what is happening with my system.

Running 10 Po on a HP Envy laptop.

Thanks for some help, TigerWizard (The wizard seems disconnected)

:)

TigerWizard, Sep 18, 2018
  2. Remon Ont Win User

External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, Sep 18, 2018
  3. twynog Win User
    External hard drive not recognised

Thanks for this. I've done what you suggested and been through all the steps mentioned in the article. The hard drive works fine on a Mac computer, and I've managed to copy the information on it. It must be a Surface issue so I'll try to get a chat line tomorrow.

twynog, Sep 18, 2018
  4. external hard drive is locked

External Hard Drive

To address your concern, here are the troubleshooting steps that you can try. Follow the steps below:

Uninstall and reinstall the external hard drive program.

• In the Settings app, go to System.
    • Go to Apps & features and locate the external hard drive program.
    • Uninstall the program and go to the manufacturer's website to reinstall the updated version.
    Uninstall and reinstall the Paragon driver software.

• Following the same steps mentioned above, locate the software in Apps & features
      and uninstall it.
    • After uninstalling the software, go to the manufacturer's website to reinstall it.
    To further isolate your concern, we'd also like to verify if the OneDrive app is enabled on your PC.

You can hit us back for additional help.

Kind regards.

Jennifer Cha, Sep 18, 2018
Thema:

external hard drive is locked

1. external hard drive is locked - Similar Threads - external hard drive

2. BitLocker unilaterally locked my external hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BitLocker unilaterally locked my external hard drive: BitLocker locked my external hard drive without being asked. I installed an NVME m.2 SSD in a laptop and loaded a bunch of content onto it. Used it fine for several months. I then sold the laptop, removed the hard drive, and installed it in my desktop only to discovered that...
  3. BitLocker unilaterally locked my external hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BitLocker unilaterally locked my external hard drive: BitLocker locked my external hard drive without being asked. I installed an NVME m.2 SSD in a laptop and loaded a bunch of content onto it. Used it fine for several months. I then sold the laptop, removed the hard drive, and installed it in my desktop only to discovered that...
  4. BitLocker locked my external hard drive by itself

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    BitLocker locked my external hard drive by itself: On several occasions, after removing an old drive, the drive gets locked by "Bitlocker" even though the user did not activate "Bitlocker" any solution? thx...
  5. external hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    external hard drive: What external hard drive do you recommend for back-up on Dell Inspiron 3671. I do not want to save to the cloud. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hard-drive/c23fb5c0-2b97-457d-81ca-3a824c7e6f1a
  6. External hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External hard drive: When I plug in my hard drive I get a message (F:\is not accessible.) Access is denied. Why, https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hard-drive/7469afee-e3f1-4499-9926-b55a995943bb
  7. System locked external hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    System locked external hard drive: Hello, I locked the Pictures folder on my external hard drive using Windows (drive X for this purpose). I believe I used the Security tab on the folder and SYSTEM locked it...basically making it so that if that drive X was not connected to my PC, that folder was...
  8. external hard drive

external hard drive: Why is windows not recognizing my external hard drive, its fn 2019 this s should be plug and play your os is garbage https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hard-drive/8a51c6c8-175f-4d84-b6e7-84ab2697752f
  9. external hard drives

external hard drives: Earlier this week windows did an update and since then it is failing to recognise some of my external hard drive, also windows keeps crashing and re-booting, everything was working fine until update...
  10. external hard drives

external hard drives: I have two external hard drives I used on two different computers. On both computers I backed up all information onto the external hard drives before installing windows 10 on both computers. I was running windows 7 on both computers before the installation. On both computers...