Windows 10: External Hard Drive is not being recognized by create a system image in control panel

Discus and support External Hard Drive is not being recognized by create a system image in control panel in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I am having problems with my drive being recognised in the 'create a system image'.I wanted to back up my entire computer by creating a system image as... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Shreyas Satish, Feb 4, 2022.

1. External Hard Drive is not being recognized by create a system image in control panel

I am having problems with my drive being recognised in the 'create a system image'.I wanted to back up my entire computer by creating a system image as I'm currently in Windows 11 Insider Program Dev. Channel and want to downgrade to Win 10.Thus, when I plugged in my external drive to create a system image, it does not show up. I have reformatted the drive and changed the format of the drive from ExFATS and NTFS but none of it works.I have attached a few pictures below.Thanks.Disk Management:System Image:

:)

Shreyas Satish, Feb 4, 2022

2. System Image not recognizing hard drive

When I try to create a system image it doesn't recognize my external hard drive. I see it in the file explorer but it will only let me back up to a DVD ROM. I've initialized and formatted the external hard drive but to no avail. I can drag and drop
    any file on to the drive but, when it comes to making the system image, no luck. I've rebooted by computer and it still does the same thing. Has anyone else had this problem. I sure would like a solution, the Microsoft website was a no go on the problem,
    at least I couldn't find a fix.

Rockin' Randall, Feb 4, 2022
  3. Zaki_j Win User
    Toshiba external hard drive not recognized

Hi Philip,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that the external hard drive is not recognized by the PC. I appreciate your efforts in trying to resolve the issue.
    It would be great if you can answer these questions to assist you in a better way.

• Did you try connecting the Hardrive to different USB Port?
    • Does the Hardrive get detected if you try connecting it to a different PC?
    • Are you aware of any changes made to the computer recently?

I suggest you refer and follow the steps mentioned in the KB article and check if that resolves the issueError:
    “USB Device not recognized” when you try to access a USB external hard drive

Note: Ignore method 2 & 5 from the above article.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Zaki

Zaki_j, Feb 4, 2022
  4. External Hard Drive is not being recognized by create a system image in control panel

External hard drive no longer recognized

Hello,

This issue could be due to the external Hard driver is outdated.

A quick question before we proceed:

• Are you able to see the hard drive in the Disk management?
    You may follow the steps below to check that:

• Press Windows + R key.

• Type diskmgmt.msc and hit enter.

Meanwhile let’s try the simple troubleshooting methods and check if it helps resolving the issue. Follow the below methods.

Method 1:

I suggest you to run Hardware troubleshooter to diagnose the exact issue.

• Press Windows + X keys on the keyboard and select Control Panel.
    • Type Troubleshooting in the search bar on the Control Panel.
    • Click on Small icon on the left navigation pane.
    • Click on Troubleshooting and click on
      Hardware and Device.
    • Click on Advanced on the Hardware troubleshooter dialog box and click on Run as administrator (Enter the credentials if required).
    • Click on Next and follow onscreen instruction complete the Hardware troubleshooter.
    I the issue still persist try the below method.

Method 2:

I recommend you to download the latest updated driver for the External hard drive from the hard drive manufacturer website and install the same.

Note: Make sure you provide the correct model number.

Hope this helps. Post us with status we will be glad to help you

Anju Thekkethil, Feb 4, 2022
Thema:

External Hard Drive is not being recognized by create a system image in control panel

1. External Hard Drive is not being recognized by create a system image in control panel - Similar Threads - External Hard Drive

2. External hard drive not being recognized

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External hard drive not being recognized: MYBook external hard drive is not being recognized by my PC. What can I do? The power light is on but nothing comes up and I can't open it up to see data. I have tried numerous things....full of memories and pictures. Please help...
  3. External hard drive not being recognized

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External hard drive not being recognized: MYBook external hard drive is not being recognized by my PC. What can I do? The power light is on but nothing comes up and I can't open it up to see data. I have tried numerous things....full of memories and pictures. Please help...
  4. External Hard Drive is not being recognized by create a system image in control panel

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Hard Drive is not being recognized by create a system image in control panel: I am having problems with my drive being recognised in the 'create a system image'.I wanted to back up my entire computer by creating a system image as I'm currently in Windows 11 Insider Program Dev. Channel and want to downgrade to Win 10.Thus, when I plugged in my external...
  5. Creating system Image to external drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Creating system Image to external drive: Hi,I am unable to create a system image to a brand new western digital external drive. My C drive has 170BG & the usb I’m trying to back it up to has 230GB spare.When I attempt to create the system image, it comes up with 'This drive is not a valid backup location'.I've tired...
  6. Creating system Image to external drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Creating system Image to external drive: Hi,I am unable to create a system image to a brand new western digital external drive. My C drive has 170BG & the usb I’m trying to back it up to has 230GB spare.When I attempt to create the system image, it comes up with 'This drive is not a valid backup location'.I've tired...
  7. Creating system Image to external drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. Can't Create System Image on External Hard Drive

Can't Create System Image on External Hard Drive: Recently my ssd had started failing so I replaced it with 2 new ones. I'm trying to transfer the os from the old ssd to the new one. I read online that I need to make a system repair disc and a system image. I was able to create the system repair disc with no issues however I...
  9. Create System Image of External Drive

Create System Image of External Drive: My mother's Dell 5566 laptop died mid-use last week - pretty sure it's the mobo. She hasn't backed up recently so she wants to do that before she takes it in to get fixed I'm working on it with her remotely. Got her a SATA cable to check it using another laptop and it's...
  10. System Image not recognizing hard drive

System Image not recognizing hard drive: When I try to create a system image it doesn't recognize my external hard drive. I see it in the file explorer but it will only let me back up to a DVD ROM. I've initialized and formatted the external hard drive but to no avail. I can drag and drop any file on to the drive...