Windows 10: External hard drive is showing up as local disk drive

Discus and support External hard drive is showing up as local disk drive in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; For some reason it changed from USB Drive to Local Disk. Now i cant use a Label Name (like MyDrive). I try to change the drive Letter and still... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by NakosKotsanis91, Feb 19, 2019.

1. External hard drive is showing up as local disk drive

For some reason it changed from USB Drive to Local Disk.

Now i cant use a Label Name (like MyDrive).
    I try to change the drive Letter and still nothing happen. When i plug the USB Driver to an other computer i see it again as a local driver. If i go to Properties -> Label Name and write something nothing happens and the Label Local Driver remains.

When I'm saying that it appears as a local driver let me exaplain it better with the example below...

I have a USB drive that it appeared as "USB Drive" and i can change the Label name, set an icon, etc...
    External hard drive is showing up as local disk drive d8afc1f5-7740-4795-8112-ecf8dd2f6402?upload=true.png
    Inside that USB drive i create an Autorun.inf and with this way i can set the name and the icon...
    External hard drive is showing up as local disk drive 0938a803-8081-45a2-860a-ad9d1cc644fa?upload=true.png

Now i plug the driver (with the problem) and as you see it appeared as a local disk and not as a USB drive
    External hard drive is showing up as local disk drive 13d39eec-42ec-4699-82dc-85be3969fc6f?upload=true.png

When i open the drive the is no Autorun.inf file and i cant create one (As the Sandisk example above)
    External hard drive is showing up as local disk drive bcf1bfec-fb98-4347-b648-9e2a4885f7b4?upload=true.png
    Instead there is a folder called "Z_Drive_manager" [ Local_Disk (Z)/Z_Drive_manager ] that include (by default?) the Autorun.inf
    External hard drive is showing up as local disk drive e9938de8-7aed-4c41-9017-0ba301e8ea20?upload=true.png
    I try to change the label or the ico from the AutoRun.inf and nothing changed, also i delete the Autorun.inf but still nothing happened.

What i have done so far and nothing happened

• I try with cmd to fix the disk entering the commant chkdsk Z: /f
    • I have change the Drivel letter
    • I took the ownership of the driver
    • I plug the driver to an other computer and try all the above

I cant move my files to an other drive and so the format option don't suit me.

Thank you

***Original title: Why my external Drive appeared as Local Disk?***

:)

NakosKotsanis91, Feb 19, 2019

2. external hard drive connects as local disk

The hard drive(s) check out perfectly, including using the troubleshooting methods you cite. I can repeatedly remove, reconnect, read/write/delete/restore files to these drives, yet ... they appear as "local disks" and can not be changed otherwise. As
    I mentioned, this is a problem for software that requires an "external disk" device for certain processes.

This morning, I checked several other similar portable external hard drives mounted on numerous computers at my work place and found "local disk" to be the case for every system that utilizes Win7, Win8, or Win10 as the OS (maybe WinXP, but I didn't have that
    OS to look at). Google searches for this topic allowed me to discover that Microsoft has made this "local disk" bit configuration in the external drive hardware a requirement for Microsoft certification. Is this true?

Thanks for your assistance.

Bradford Seabourn, Feb 19, 2019
  3. external hard drive connects as local disk

Two 2T WD-Passport Ultra external/portable hard drives (only 3-4 months old) connected via separate USB ports to a new laptop running Windows 10. Out of the box they appear in disk manager as "type: external drive." After an OS update in late September,
    they suddenly appeared as "type: local disk." A second laptop (one yr old) running Windows 10 with a 1T WD-Passport external hard drive experienced the same issue post OS update. I use a fee-based off-site backup/recovery program that uses one of the external
    drives on the first laptop for a mirror image of the internal drive and can not function properly if the disk is seen as a "local disk."

Is this a WD hard drive problem or a Windows 10 issue? How do I fix it? The drives are working properly, have the current drivers, etc. With the exception of this single issue, everything with the OS as well as the drives checks out ok.

Bradford Seabourn, Feb 19, 2019
  4. Remon Ont Win User

External hard drive is showing up as local disk drive

External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, Feb 19, 2019
Thema:

External hard drive is showing up as local disk drive

1. External hard drive is showing up as local disk drive - Similar Threads - External hard drive

2. Hard drive shows up as Local Disk D

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hard drive shows up as Local Disk D: I cant access my external drive and it shows as local disk D https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hard-drive-shows-up-as-local-disk-d/ea2327aa-81a2-488d-9d37-f833daab3f4b
  3. External hard drive showing as Local Disk G: and cannot access to drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External hard drive showing as Local Disk G: and cannot access to drive: Hi, after I transferred files to my 4tb Wd elements drive it fails to play them and then turn to Local drive.Now it shows as Local Drive and I cannot access it by aything.I tried disk managenent and device manager to unistall it it freezes.I tried chkdsk /f /r and it says...
  4. External hard drive not showing up

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External hard drive not showing up: I just downloaded windows on a flash drive then plugged it into my pc but when i go to select where i want to download windows nothing shows up. Please help...
  5. External Hard Drive not showing up

External Hard Drive not showing up: Hello I have an external hard drive that worked only a few days ago perfectly,but today it doesn't show up at all under the devices and drives. The computer recognizes that it is connected to the PC. It also doesn't show in disk management. I can use minitool partition...
  6. External Hard Drive not showing up

External Hard Drive not showing up: Hey there, So I have had a seagate external hard drive for a couple years now. I use it every day, it is a larger 5 tb drive that requires both usb and external power. STEB5000100. I have never had an issue with it popping up when I turn my pc on until the other day....
  7. external hard drive not showing up

external hard drive not showing up: it's not showing up at all. not in windows explorer, not in the device manager, not in disk management, it's as if i didn't even put it in. it's always worked perfectly fine on my laptop (which is what i'm using now) and i used it on my computer (windows 7) just several...
  8. External Hard Drive Not Showing UP

External Hard Drive Not Showing UP: Hello, I am using a WD external hard drive to transfer files from one Windows 10 machine to others. The first machine saw the disk fine, and I added all of the data. The next two machines saw the disk fine, and I transferred all of the date. The fourth machine does not...
  9. External Hard Drive not showing up

External Hard Drive not showing up: I have an external hard drive that I have used regularly with a Windows 7 machine via esata that does not show up when plugged into my Windows 10 notebook via USB. I can see it under the disk management, but there is no drive letter assigned so I cannot access it. ? 37434
  10. External hard drives saying local disk

External hard drives saying local disk: Hello. I brought a 4 bay external harddrive enclosure and have it hooked up to my laptop ( I will get a computer one day) The issue I have is this. Bay 2 3 and 4 no issues. I have 5 external harddrives. 2 x 2tb 2 x 1 tb a nd 1x 4tb 4 of these drives I wish to keep...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. external hdd shows as local disk

2. external drive shows as local drive

3. External hard drive showing up as local disk Windows 10

4. external hard drive showing local disk,
  5. external hard drive shows as local disk