Windows 10: External hard drive keeps disconnecting and conntecting

Discus and support External hard drive keeps disconnecting and conntecting in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I tried disabling the usb setting in power options with no luck. Is this my drive thats become defective or can i try something else? Thanks in advance... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/dean_yyy, May 13, 2020.

1. External hard drive keeps disconnecting and conntecting

I tried disabling the usb setting in power options with no luck. Is this my drive thats become defective or can i try something else? Thanks in advance

Btw the drive works fine until is disconnects

submitted by /u/dean_yyy
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/dean_yyy, May 13, 2020

2. External hard drive disconnecting

Hi,

I realize the inconvenience caused to you regarding the external hard drive as it is disconnecting. I will certainly assist you.

Please answer the below questions to assist you better.

• What is the make and model of the external hard drive?
    • Are you getting any error messages in the device manager?
    Follow the below methods and check if it helps.

Connect the external hard drive and perform the following methods.

Method 1: Run the Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter.

Windows 10 has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with hardware and devices. I would suggest you to run this troubleshooter to check if the issue is with the Bluetooth adapter. Refer these steps:

• Press Windows key +X, select Control panel.
    • Change the view by option on the top right to Large icons.
    • Click on troubleshooting and click on the view all option on the left panel.
    • Run the Hardware and devices troubleshooter.
    • Restart your computer and check if the issue is resolved.
    Method 2: Check if you can see the device in Device Manager

• Press Windows key + X.
    • Click on Device manager.
    • Click on View Tab, Select Show hidden devices.
    • Click on Scan for Hardware changes.
    • Check if the devices show up in Device Manager in the device list.
    Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Anup Karkal, May 13, 2020
  3. Remon Ont Win User
    External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, May 13, 2020
  4. Mark Isi Win User

External hard drive keeps disconnecting and conntecting

External Hard Drive

Hi,

Just to verify, did you mean, your back up files used to be on your external hard drive, but now it's no longer there? If this is true, kindly provide more answers to the questions below, so we can further assess the issue:

• When did the files start to disappear?
    • What are the troubleshooting steps you have done so far?
    • Did you make nay changes on the settings of your PC or hard drive prior to this issue?
    • Are you getting any error messages when trying to plug in your external drive?
    • Does your external drive shows that the space is consumed?

Please advise. We'll keep an eye out to your response.

Mark Isi, May 13, 2020
Thema:

External hard drive keeps disconnecting and conntecting

1. External hard drive keeps disconnecting and conntecting - Similar Threads - External hard drive

2. External Hard Drive keeps disconnecting and then reconnecting as an unkown usb device...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External Hard Drive keeps disconnecting and then reconnecting as an unkown usb device...: Hello everyone,This problem has been happening to me since tonight. All was fine but suddenly my external hard drive, which i often need disconnected and then, about 30 seconds later, reconnected to the PC, but this time as "Unknown USB Device Device Descriptor Request...
  3. Hard Drives Keep Disconnecting

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Hard Drives Keep Disconnecting: [ATTACH] Hello guys, I just connected eight 10 TB hard drives to my PC through USB 3.1. I am using the Mediasonic 8 bay enclosure found here. It's connected to the PC running Windows 10 on Asus' Z370 motherboard. When I'm copying files to the drives (3 or 4 copy...
  4. External hard drive constantly disconnecting and disconnecting

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External hard drive constantly disconnecting and disconnecting: I have a brand new device and I tried to plug in my hard drive to retrieve some of my files but the hard drive kept disconnecting from my device and I was unable to keep it open for more than two minutes at a time. Sometimes it would show the error message "a device which...
  5. External hard drive disconnecting randomly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External hard drive disconnecting randomly: I resently bought a seagate expansion plus 4t external hard drive with the intention to download games on it and play them from there. The problem is that if I leave it going to download a game it will after a while disconnect and then reconnect leaving me with a disc write...
  6. My external hard drive keeps disconnecting

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    My external hard drive keeps disconnecting: I bought an external hard drive a couple of months ago and it has been working perfectly but a couple of days ago it started to randomly disconnect. What I have already tried: Try a different USB-Port - It disconnected more frequently in my other USB port Update drivers...
  7. external hard drive is connecting and the disconnecting.

external hard drive is connecting and the disconnecting.: I have a Seagate 5 TB external hard drive. I've had it for years. We have had it hooked up to our xbox. Today we turned on the xbox and it wasn't registering that the external hard drive was connected. So I hooked the external hard drive up to my Alienware laptop. It does not...
  8. Disconnect or Unmap External Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Disconnect or Unmap External Hard Drive: I have an external hard drive to which I do routine manual backups. I would like to be able to disconnect this drive without having to "pull the plug." The reason for this is that Ransomware will infect ALL connected drives. So I would like to disconnect it when not in use,...
  9. External Hard Drive Disconnected.

External Hard Drive Disconnected.: I tried to format my external hard drive to clear it out so I could start fresh with windows backup automatic in windows 10. Now I no longer have my (E:) drive under disk management. I have a disk 0 and 1 but do not know what they are. Under device manager it shows as...
  10. Disconnect internal hard drive externally

Disconnect internal hard drive externally: Being anal about backups and having issue after issue with Win 10, I need a way to physically disconnect/reconnect an internal backup hard drive with out cracking open the case and unplugging it. All of my hard drives are ssd. Ron 98831