Windows 10: External Hard Drive keeps disconnecting and then reconnecting as an unkown usb device...

Discus and support External Hard Drive keeps disconnecting and then reconnecting as an unkown usb device... in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hello everyone,This problem has been happening to me since tonight. All was fine but suddenly my external hard drive, which i often need disconnected... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by notparacosm, Jan 27, 2023.

1. External Hard Drive keeps disconnecting and then reconnecting as an unkown usb device...

Hello everyone,This problem has been happening to me since tonight. All was fine but suddenly my external hard drive, which i often need disconnected and then, about 30 seconds later, reconnected to the PC, but this time as "Unknown USB Device Device Descriptor Request Failed" with the description "Driver Error". Once I reboot my PC, it is showing up fine again but then after some amount of time it can be 10 minutes or multiple hours it disconnects again and reconnects as an unknown USB device again. This is making it basically impossible for me to work since I need it to be accessible at

:)

notparacosm, Jan 27, 2023
  2. pgdjw Win User

External hard drive with USB 3.0 keeps disconnecting and reconnecting

An external usb 3.0 Hard drive hub (Cavalry) that used to work under Windows 7 is now randomly disconnecting when working under windows 10 (new upgrade).

Everything else seems to be working fine. When I power up the external hub it's recognized and seems to be fine but in 10 - 20 minutes it's no longer visible on "this pc". It has always worked flawlessly until the upgrade.

Under Device Manager under Universal Serial Bus Controllers it's listed as "SuperSpeed USB Hub" and after it in parenthesis is (Non Functional).

I checked for driver updates and Windows says they are up to date.

Any help would be appreciated.

pgdjw, Jan 27, 2023
  3. twynog Win User
    External hard drive not recognised

Thanks for this. I've done what you suggested and been through all the steps mentioned in the article. The hard drive works fine on a Mac computer, and I've managed to copy the information on it. It must be a Surface issue so I'll try to get a chat line tomorrow.

twynog, Jan 27, 2023
  4. External Hard Drive keeps disconnecting and then reconnecting as an unkown usb device...

USB 3.0 randomly disconnecting and reconnecting, not power config

So I have a Surface Pro 3 running Windows 10, and an external USB 3 HDD. If I plug in the HDD, a process will begin. First the drive will appear with the drive letter only, and be unreadable, but in an unusual way. Any software that attempts to interact with it will hang until it either crashes or the drive is disconnected. During this stage the drive may disconnect and reconnect multiple times. If left in for long enough, the drive will finally show up with it's name, and be readable. However it still disconnects and reconnects.

Steps I have tried:

• Disabling the power saving features for all USB devices in Device Manager
    • Reinstalling all USB drivers
    • Testing hard disk on my desktop computer (where it works fine).
    • Powering down the drive for an extended time before trying again

Adrian Smith, Jan 27, 2023
Thema:

External Hard Drive keeps disconnecting and then reconnecting as an unkown usb device...

1. External Hard Drive keeps disconnecting and then reconnecting as an unkown usb device... - Similar Threads - External Hard Drive

2. USB devices keep disconnecting and reconnecting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB devices keep disconnecting and reconnecting: Good day,My USB devices keep disconnecting and reconnecting when I open applications and sometimes when I alt+tab. This only started happening after I upgraded my GPU and PSU. I already updated drivers and reinstalled UBS bus drivers. All of my motherboard UBS slots are...
  3. USB devices keep disconnecting and reconnecting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB devices keep disconnecting and reconnecting: Good day,My USB devices keep disconnecting and reconnecting when I open applications and sometimes when I alt+tab. This only started happening after I upgraded my GPU and PSU. I already updated drivers and reinstalled UBS bus drivers. All of my motherboard UBS slots are...
  4. USB devices keep disconnecting and reconnecting

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. External Hard Drive keeps disconnecting and then reconnecting as an unkown usb device...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Hard Drive keeps disconnecting and then reconnecting as an unkown usb device...: Hello everyone,This problem has been happening to me since tonight. All was fine but suddenly my external hard drive, which i often need disconnected and then, about 30 seconds later, reconnected to the PC, but this time as "Unknown USB Device Device Descriptor Request...
  6. External Hard Drive keeps disconnecting and then reconnecting as an unkown usb device...

External Hard Drive keeps disconnecting and then reconnecting as an unkown usb device...: Hello everyone,This problem has been happening to me since tonight. All was fine but suddenly my external hard drive, which i often need disconnected and then, about 30 seconds later, reconnected to the PC, but this time as "Unknown USB Device Device Descriptor Request...
  7. USB Composite Device keeps disconnecting and reconnecting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB Composite Device keeps disconnecting and reconnecting: Seemingly out of nowhere a device keeps disconnecting and reconnecting and when it does, it creates a moment of subtle lag and frame drops when gaming and I can't seem to find what is causing this. It also makes the constant USB device connected bleep. Here is a log of the...
  8. Unknown USB Device Keeps Disconnecting and Reconnecting

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Unknown USB Device Keeps Disconnecting and Reconnecting: Title says it all. There is an unknown USB device that just keeps connecting and disconnecting. It is visible in my device manager. The computer works just fine and I have managed to turn the sound off. I'm just a little concerned that this could cause an issue down the line...
  9. USB Device Keeps Disconnecting and Reconnecting

USB Device Keeps Disconnecting and Reconnecting: I need some help because i've tried almost every option that i've found to see if it would fix the problem. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the usb mass storage device and it worked for one minute but then went back to wigging out. Then I tried a couple of other options and...
  10. My hard drive keeps disconnecting and reconnecting

My hard drive keeps disconnecting and reconnecting: I have a razer blade stealth 2016 and a 1 TB Toshiba hard-drive. I have a a couple files and some games on the hard drive. It does this disconnect, reconnect thing when in use and when not in use. It makes it extremely annoying because data gets lost if I am using a file on...