Windows 10: External Hard Drive Locked with Bitlocker Automatically - Unable to Open It

Discus and support External Hard Drive Locked with Bitlocker Automatically - Unable to Open It in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi there, I need help with my external hard drive which has all my data and I badly need to recover it. I don't know but there has been some... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by SuburbanOwl6330, Feb 12, 2020.

1. External Hard Drive Locked with Bitlocker Automatically - Unable to Open It

Hi there,

I need help with my external hard drive which has all my data and I badly need to recover it.

I don't know but there has been some technical glitch due to which the bitlocker lock is appearing on my external hard drive. Neither I nor anybody else turned on encryption on my device. As the device was working fine one day and I just restarted the machine and the lock started to appear on the external hard drive after this.

This is the error that I'm getting.

External Hard Drive Locked with Bitlocker Automatically - Unable to Open It 76cc0b6a-0d3a-40de-92fa-3b423f5f62b7?upload=true.png

I have also tried numerous times opening the external hard drive on other versions of Windows but no use. The symantec team has also tried working on the issue using command prompt but the issue hasn't resolved.

I desperately need help on this issue from Microsoft team.

Thanks in advance.

:)

SuburbanOwl6330, Feb 12, 2020

2. External Hard Drive Locked Automatically by Bitlocker

I have a problem with my external hard drive. It appears that Bitlocker locked it without my knowledge. I have never even heard of Bitlocker before my File Explorer told me that the drive was locked by Bitlocker.

I have no password because I did not set it up. As for the recovery key, I was able to retrieve it from my Microsoft Account. However, when I used it, Windows 10 did not accept the recovery key.

How do I recover my files from my external hard drive?

Thanks,

Rob

RobPanganiban, Feb 12, 2020
  3. External Hard Drive Locked Automatically by Bitlocker

Hi Rob,

To resolve the issue, please check out this
    thread
    about a similar issue. You may refer to Ramesh.Kumar's post.

Let us know how it goes.

JohnRod Nav, Feb 12, 2020
  4. External Hard Drive Locked with Bitlocker Automatically - Unable to Open It

External Hard Drive Locked Automatically by Bitlocker

That's exactly what I did when I mentioned that I retrieved my recovery key from my Microsoft account. However, when I try to unlock the drive with the key, Windows rejects it.

I appreciate that Bitlocker is secure. However, if it is THIS secure, Windows should be absolutely sure that it is initiated by the user.

Any other suggestions? I'm not too keen on losing all my photos for the last decade which I backed up into that external drive.

Regards,

Rob

RobPanganiban, Feb 12, 2020
Thema:

External Hard Drive Locked with Bitlocker Automatically - Unable to Open It

1. External Hard Drive Locked with Bitlocker Automatically - Unable to Open It - Similar Threads - External Hard Drive

2. BitLocker unilaterally locked my external hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BitLocker unilaterally locked my external hard drive: BitLocker locked my external hard drive without being asked. I installed an NVME m.2 SSD in a laptop and loaded a bunch of content onto it. Used it fine for several months. I then sold the laptop, removed the hard drive, and installed it in my desktop only to discovered that...
  3. BitLocker unilaterally locked my external hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BitLocker unilaterally locked my external hard drive: BitLocker locked my external hard drive without being asked. I installed an NVME m.2 SSD in a laptop and loaded a bunch of content onto it. Used it fine for several months. I then sold the laptop, removed the hard drive, and installed it in my desktop only to discovered that...
  4. External Hard Drive Unable to Open Files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External Hard Drive Unable to Open Files: Hello, I really need help. I am looking through my external hard drive and am unable to open the files. They are mostly pictures and videos. It says "It looks like we don't support this file format". I saw that my PNG pictures open however I am not able to open any JPG or...
  5. External Hard Drive Unable to Open Files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Hard Drive Unable to Open Files: Hello, I really need help. I am looking through my external hard drive and am unable to open the files. They are mostly pictures and videos. It says "It looks like we don't support this file format". I saw that my PNG pictures open however I am not able to open any JPG or...
  6. External Hard Drive Unable to Open Files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Drives locked by Bitlocker automatically

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Drives locked by Bitlocker automatically: Hi,I have recently reset my PC to have a clean installation of Windows in C drive. PC reset was successful but my D & E drives are automatically locked by Bitlocker. I have contacted Microsoft for resolution. It seems that the drives are locked automatically by Bitlocker due...
  8. BitLocker locked my external hard drive by itself

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    BitLocker locked my external hard drive by itself: On several occasions, after removing an old drive, the drive gets locked by "Bitlocker" even though the user did not activate "Bitlocker" any solution? thx...
  9. BITLOCKER UNABLE TO DECRYPT MY EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    BITLOCKER UNABLE TO DECRYPT MY EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE: Unable to open bitlocker encrypted external drive Windows 10 Pro Hello, I have not been able to open my encrypted hard drive on Windows professional Version 10.0.15063 Build 15063. The external drive was encrypted using this system (the same I am reporting now) and...
  10. external hard drive is locked

in Windows 10 Customization
    external hard drive is locked: I add an external hard drive, Seagate Expansion Drive. I moved my Libraries, including my iTunes library and all the files, from my internal hard drive (c://). I now have several problems. A network path to this drive, appears to go through another external drive. E:...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. seagate drive locked bitlocker