Windows 10: External Hard Drive Mounted but now lost

Discus and support External Hard Drive Mounted but now lost in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; How do you find an external hard drive after you change the drive letter and path in disk management? I need to find this in order to recover a very... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Ad2Mollie, Sep 8, 2019.

1. Ad2Mollie Win User

External Hard Drive Mounted but now lost

How do you find an external hard drive after you change the drive letter and path in disk management?

I need to find this in order to recover a very important file. When I plug in the external hard drive now, it does not show up in This PC.

When I try to scan with Recuva, it throws an error \\.\(HardDiskVolume3) failed because it cannot determine what type of file

When I look at the USB ports in device manager, it shows it as USB Mass Storage Device with a yellow triangle and exclamation point. I right clicked and chose the option to update the driver, it chose an update in Windows but did not change anything.

Right Click and open properties: This device cannot start. (Code 10)

{Operation Failed}

The requested operation was unsuccessful.

The driver file details are listed as C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\USBSTOR.SYS

Events for this device listed under Timestamp are:

9/8/2019 5:29:37 PM Device configured (usbstor.inf)
    9/8/2019 5:29:37 PM Device not started (USBSTOR)
    The following is the event log.

Log Name: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP/Configuration
    Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP
    Date: 9/8/2019 5:30:27 PM
    Event ID: 411
    Task Category: None
    Level: Error
    Keywords:
    User: SYSTEM
    Computer: (Computer Name)
    Description:
    Device USB\VID_1F75&PID_0621\1 had a problem starting.

Driver Name: usbstor.inf
    Class Guid: {36fc9e60-c465-11cf-8056-444553540000}
    Service: USBSTOR
    Lower Filters:
    Upper Filters:
    Problem: 0xA
    Problem Status: 0xC0000001
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
    <System>
    <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP" Guid="{9c205a39-1250-487d-abd7-e831c6290539}" />
    <EventID>411</EventID>
    <Version>0</Version>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <Keywords>0x4000000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2019-09-08T22:30:27.877580100Z" />
    <EventRecordID>438</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation />
    <Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="3036" />
    <Channel>Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP/Configuration</Channel>
    <Computer>DESKTOP-OCHITA7</Computer>
    <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
    </System>
    <EventData>
    <Data Name="DeviceInstanceId">USB\VID_1F75&amp;PID_0621\1</Data>
    <Data Name="DriverName">usbstor.inf</Data>
    <Data Name="ClassGuid">{36fc9e60-c465-11cf-8056-444553540000}</Data>
    <Data Name="ServiceName">USBSTOR</Data>
    <Data Name="LowerFilters">
    </Data>
    <Data Name="UpperFilters">
    </Data>
    <Data Name="Problem">0xa</Data>
    <Data Name="Status">0xc0000001</Data>
    </EventData>
    </Event>

Please advise, I need to be able to work in the morning.

Thank you

:)

Ad2Mollie, Sep 8, 2019
  2. DAB Buff Win User

Do you need to "Mount" an external hard drive before you "Format" the external hard drive?

Do you need to "Mount" an external hard drive before you "Format" the external hard drive?

DAB Buff, Sep 8, 2019
  3. Remon Ont Win User
    External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, Sep 8, 2019
  4. twynog Win User

External hard drive not recognised

Thanks for this. I've done what you suggested and been through all the steps mentioned in the article. The hard drive works fine on a Mac computer, and I've managed to copy the information on it. It must be a Surface issue so I'll try to get a chat line tomorrow.

twynog, Sep 8, 2019
Thema:

1. External Hard Drive Mounted but now lost - Similar Threads - External Hard Drive

2. USB external drives not mounting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB external drives not mounting: In the last couple of weeks my USB external drives have stopped mounting when I plug them in. The notification sound when a USB device is plugged in sounds, the activity lights on the drives power on and I can hear them spin up as normal, but the drives themselves do not...
  3. USB external drives not mounting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB external drives not mounting: In the last couple of weeks my USB external drives have stopped mounting when I plug them in. The notification sound when a USB device is plugged in sounds, the activity lights on the drives power on and I can hear them spin up as normal, but the drives themselves do not...
  4. Cannot mount drive from system image on external hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cannot mount drive from system image on external hard drive: I have recently installed a new version of Windows which means I have lost my data. Before doing so, I created a system image so I could move important files back to my PC. However, if I try to do anyhting with this Hard Disk Image File then this popup appears: [ATTACH]...
  5. Bitlocker Lost External Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Bitlocker Lost External Hard Drive: I plugged my external hard drive into my computer. I asked me if I wanted to encrypt the hard drive and I said yes. It gave me an error saying that it could not encrypt it because it had boot up files on it. Now the external drive cannot be recognized on any computer I plug...
  6. External 6Tb Hard drive is now 1.5Tb!

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External 6Tb Hard drive is now 1.5Tb!: My 6Tb external backup hard drive was having problems. I decided to reformat it. When I tried it failed & Windows identified it as a RAW drive, not NTFS. I tried Seagate Tools but that said the drive was okay. I deleted the volume & created a Simple Volume, then formatted to...
  7. Can't mount external hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't mount external hard drive: An external USB hard drive has been used for a number of years to regularly archive data on a Linux Debian system. The latest attempt to archive data gave the following error :- mount /media/backup mount : can't find UUID=0688802088800FFB Why does this error occur and how...
  8. External USB drive wont mount

External USB drive wont mount: Windows 10 Version 1909 OS18363.720 My 16tb glyph drive is formated for Exfat and all partitions mount on Mac laptop BUT on my windows 10 PC I only see 2 partitions of 16 and I am not able to ifx in disk manager or by scanning the disks. I read that this Windows Version...
  9. Windows 10 not mounting external hard drive on bootup

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 not mounting external hard drive on bootup: Hello. Basically I've got the problem it says in the title. Every single time I boot up Windows on my laptop, this second partition on my SSD will not be assigned a drive letter. I have to go into disk management and assign it every time. I've already scanned the drive for...
  10. External hard drive storage lost

External hard drive storage lost: Hello! My name is donald and i need your help like seriously... I tried to format my HD of 1TB that was in exfat to NTFS but it didn’t achieve and i couldn’t have access to it no more, i tried to check on ease partition what was going on and i saw my HD when unallocated and...