Windows 10: External hard drive not appearing in file explorer

Discus and support External hard drive not appearing in file explorer in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; my windows 7 laptop died (no power). I purchase new windows 10 laptop and am attempting to read my former hard drive by making it an external drive. It... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by TerryTaylor1, Jan 6, 2019.

1. External hard drive not appearing in file explorer

my windows 7 laptop died (no power). I purchase new windows 10 laptop and am attempting to read my former hard drive by making it an external drive. It is recognized as a device but I cannot view any of the files in file explorer. I am just attempting to recover some recent files that hadn't been backed up. Please help.

:)

TerryTaylor1, Jan 6, 2019
  2. Remon Ont Win User

External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, Jan 6, 2019
  3. triviatim Win User
    External drive not appearing in File Explorer

I had the same problem - this is what worked for me:

• Plug in and turn on the external USB hard drive
    • Right mouse click on My Computer
    • Left click on Manage
    • Left click on Device Manager
    • Expand the USB list
    • Find the USB device for your USB Hard Drive (in my case it was the one that had no description)
    • Right mouse click - Uninstall
    • Remove the external USB hard drive
    • Plug in the external USB hard drive and let it find and install the driver

This and other possible solutions are here:

Not able to see my hard drive in windows explorer?

triviatim, Jan 6, 2019
  4. External hard drive not appearing in file explorer

saving and viewing files on an external hard drive

Hi Sam,

We appreciate you for being part of Windows 10.

Yes, you may format the external hard drive. Follow the below steps.

• Connect the external hard drive to Windows 10 computer.

• Press Windows + E keys on the keyboard to the keyboard to open the file explorer.

• Locate the external hard drive on left navigation pane in File explorer.

• Right click on the external hard drive and click on
      Format

• Click Start and follow on screen instructions to format the hard drive.
    I hope the above information helps. Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Kiran Kishore, Jan 6, 2019
Thema:

External hard drive not appearing in file explorer

1. External hard drive not appearing in file explorer - Similar Threads - External hard drive

2. External Hard Drive Not Appearing in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Hard Drive Not Appearing in File Explorer: It works on another laptop running on Windows 10. I've tried all the fixes I could find online, but nothing seems to be working. It shows up on Device Manager. I did update the drivers. I uninstalled the device. Manually installed drivers from the manufacturer's website and...
  3. External Hard Drive Not Appearing in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External Hard Drive Not Appearing in File Explorer: It works on another laptop running on Windows 10. I've tried all the fixes I could find online, but nothing seems to be working. It shows up on Device Manager. I did update the drivers. I uninstalled the device. Manually installed drivers from the manufacturer's website and...
  4. External Hard Drive Not Appearing in Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Hard Drive Not Appearing in Explorer: Hello -I am trying to access an external hard drive, which is not appearing in explorer. Following some other guides, I am able to see it both under disk management and system > storage > disks and volumes. It is showing up as "Disk 2" and does not have a letter name which I...
  5. External Hard Drive Not Appearing in Explorer

External Hard Drive Not Appearing in Explorer: Hello -I am trying to access an external hard drive, which is not appearing in explorer. Following some other guides, I am able to see it both under disk management and system > storage > disks and volumes. It is showing up as "Disk 2" and does not have a letter name which I...
  6. External Hard Drive not appearing in file explorer, how can I access my files?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External Hard Drive not appearing in file explorer, how can I access my files?: Hi!I’ve recently been using an external hard drive to put some files on. I left the drive on the side of my desk not plugged in for a few weeks. I have now gone to plug the drive back in and it hasn’t appeared in file explorer see photo attached. I’ve plugged it in to test on...
  7. External Hard Drive not appearing in file explorer, how can I access my files?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Hard Drive not appearing in file explorer, how can I access my files?: Hi!I’ve recently been using an external hard drive to put some files on. I left the drive on the side of my desk not plugged in for a few weeks. I have now gone to plug the drive back in and it hasn’t appeared in file explorer see photo attached. I’ve plugged it in to test on...
  8. External Hard Drive not appearing in file explorer, how can I access my files?

9. Copies of folders and drives appearing in file explorer after using external hard drive.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Copies of folders and drives appearing in file explorer after using external hard drive.: I have what appear to be more than one hard drive listed in the file explorer on my windows 10 computer as well as multiple copies of other folders such as documents, music, pictures, etc. This has happened after using an external hard drive more than one to back up my...
  10. Portable Hard Drive Not Appearing In File Explorer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Portable Hard Drive Not Appearing In File Explorer: Hi! I'm having an issue where my Portable Hard Drive Brand is Seagate to be exact will only appear in device manager. I believe this had happened when I formatted for Xbox back in ~October 2019 and uninstalled a game off it later on. I don't know how to reformat this and...