Windows 10: external hard drive not given letter designation

Discus and support external hard drive not given letter designation in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; external hard drive enclosure not recognized in file explorer No drive letter... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by bwjatkowski, Mar 19, 2019.

1. external hard drive not given letter designation

external hard drive enclosure not recognized in file explorer No drive letter

:)

bwjatkowski, Mar 19, 2019
  2. Marco Gav Win User

unrecognised external hard drive on Windows 10

Since you already reinstalled the drivers of the External Hard Drive, let's run the
    Hardware and Devices troubleshooter as it can resolve your concern. You can do that by following these steps:

• Press the Start button.

• Type and select Troubleshooting.

• Click on View all on the left panel.

• Select and run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter.

If the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter doesn’t resolve your concern, we suggest that you change the letter of the External Hard Drive. You can do that by following these steps:

• Press the Start button.

• Type and select Control panel.

• Select System and Security.

• Select Administrative Tools, and a new window will appear.

• Double-click Computer Management, and a new window will appear.

• Select Disk Management that is located under
      Storage
      in the left pane.

• Right click on the External Hard Drive that is not showing on the File Explorer.

• Select Change letter and network path, and a new window will appear.

• Select Change, and choose the letter that you want for the External Hard Drive.

After changing the letter of the External Hard Drive, we suggest that you reboot your laptop for the changes to take effect.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Marco Gav, Mar 19, 2019
  3. External Hard Drive "is not accessible"

Hi Ridhwan,

Sorry for the delayed response. Let me continue to assist you further.

The issue here could have been due to fact that the Drive I:\ is encrypted or a flush drive. This forces the computer to not recognize the format and displays the error message. I suggest here to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

• Press Windows Key + letter 'X.'
    • Choose 'Disk Management.'
    • Right click on the External drive and select 'Change Drive letter and Path names.'
    • Rename the drive letter i.e. remove letter I and say you replace it with letter
      J.
    • Restart the computer and check the issue status.

Hope this helps. Please reply for further queries on this.

Arvind Ram, Mar 19, 2019
  4. Remon Ont Win User

external hard drive not given letter designation

External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, Mar 19, 2019
Thema:

external hard drive not given letter designation

1. external hard drive not given letter designation - Similar Threads - external hard drive

2. How do I change the letter designation of installed hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I change the letter designation of installed hard drive: How do I change the letter designation of my hard drive. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-change-the-letter-designation-of/25ae7e9a-a829-480a-87c1-e4c3bda742d6
  3. How do I change the letter designation of installed hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I change the letter designation of installed hard drive: How do I change the letter designation of my hard drive. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-change-the-letter-designation-of/25ae7e9a-a829-480a-87c1-e4c3bda742d6
  4. How do I change the letter designation of installed hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Before and after recent update, entire Hard Drive is ERASED and given the letter I

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Before and after recent update, entire Hard Drive is ERASED and given the letter I: Last night, I had an odd problem: I couldn't open firefox. It kept giving me a message saying "The drive or network connection that the shortcut 'Firefox 7.Ink' refers to is unavailable. Make sure that the disk is properly inserted or the network resource is available, and...
  6. Before and after recent update, entire Hard Drive is ERASED and given the letter I

Before and after recent update, entire Hard Drive is ERASED and given the letter I: Last night, I had an odd problem: I couldn't open firefox. It kept giving me a message saying "The drive or network connection that the shortcut 'Firefox 7.Ink' refers to is unavailable. Make sure that the disk is properly inserted or the network resource is available, and...
  7. Drive letters changed on docs saved to external hard drive and now not recognized!!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Drive letters changed on docs saved to external hard drive and now not recognized!!: I have a Dell Inspiron 15 5510 and it only has one usb port, so I connected a 4-port usb hub. No problem there, except why only one usb port? Anyway, I'll try to explain my problem as best I can and hope you can understand what help I need.Using a backup program EaseUs ToDo...
  8. Drive letters changed on docs saved to external hard drive and now not recognized!!

Drive letters changed on docs saved to external hard drive and now not recognized!!: I have a Dell Inspiron 15 5510 and it only has one usb port, so I connected a 4-port usb hub. No problem there, except why only one usb port? Anyway, I'll try to explain my problem as best I can and hope you can understand what help I need.Using a backup program EaseUs ToDo...
  9. Is there a way to designate a fixed drive letter to an external disk I frequesntly detatch...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Is there a way to designate a fixed drive letter to an external disk I frequesntly detatch...: Hi Gurus, I have invested in a portable SSD drive which I use for backups. I plugg it in and when the backup is done I remove it again. I could off course have the drive attached att all times but as an increase in security I would like to remove it to keep the backup safe....
  10. External hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External hard drive: When I plug in my hard drive I get a message (F:\is not accessible.) Access is denied. Why, https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hard-drive/7469afee-e3f1-4499-9926-b55a995943bb