Windows 10: External hard drive not recognized by Windows

Discus and support External hard drive not recognized by Windows in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Earlier today, when starting my computer, my WD 4TB Elements Desktop external drive was recognized. I was able to access the drive. Now, it is not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Doc-Westin, Oct 13, 2021.

1. External hard drive not recognized by Windows

Earlier today, when starting my computer, my WD 4TB Elements Desktop external drive was recognized. I was able to access the drive. Now, it is not recognized. It is listed in Disk Management as Disk 2 Unknown Disk, Not Initialized. Windows 10 does list the drive under Device Manager, but is not listed with the other drives. What can I do to initialize the drive and regain access?Thanks for your help.

:)

Doc-Westin, Oct 13, 2021
  2. Zaki_j Win User

Toshiba external hard drive not recognized

Hi Philip,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that the external hard drive is not recognized by the PC. I appreciate your efforts in trying to resolve the issue.
    It would be great if you can answer these questions to assist you in a better way.

• Did you try connecting the Hardrive to different USB Port?
    • Does the Hardrive get detected if you try connecting it to a different PC?
    • Are you aware of any changes made to the computer recently?

I suggest you refer and follow the steps mentioned in the KB article and check if that resolves the issueError:
    “USB Device not recognized” when you try to access a USB external hard drive

Note: Ignore method 2 & 5 from the above article.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Zaki

Zaki_j, Oct 13, 2021
  3. vallero Win User
    external hard drive not recognized

Hello zbook
    #1) I have tested the external drives in three different computers, win10 pro, Win10, and XP. The results are identical. When I plug in the external hard drive windows signals a new device with an audio signal and the light comes on on the external drive. The results on all three pc's is identical in disk manager, file explorer and device manager.
    #2) I have tried all solutions presented to me by FreeBooter, from the simplest solution of uninstalling the external drive in device manager and rebooting windows, to using the various third party software that was suggested, obviously with out success.
    #3) The attached screen shots will only show one of the drives attached because I don't have enough free USB ports to attach two drives and I didn't think it would have been a good idea to use a hub.
    #4) one strange thing about one of the drives is that now device manager lists it as a Toshiba drive although it is a Western Digital.
    #5) Sorry but I have no way of getting a photo of BIOS

External hard drive not recognized by Windows [​IMG]

I look forward to reading your comments

vallero, Oct 13, 2021
  4. External hard drive not recognized by Windows

External Hard Drive Not Recognized by Windows 10

Hi Thomas,

Sometimes, PCs fail to recognize the External Hard Drive even after confirming a successful connection. This is usually due to a corrupted or outdated device driver. However, for us to isolate the issue, we need additional information. Kindly answer the
    questions below:

• Have you tired to plug your external hard drive to another port or to another device to make sure that it is working properly?
    • Are you getting any error messages when you plug in your external hard drive?

In the meantime, we suggest that you run the Hardware and Device Troubleshooter. This automated tool will check the hardware/USB connected to your PC for any known issue and resolve it automatically. Refer to this link to access the troubleshooter:
    Find and fix problems with devices and hardware.

Update us on how it goes.

Jennifer Bri, Oct 13, 2021
Thema:

External hard drive not recognized by Windows

1. External hard drive not recognized by Windows - Similar Threads - External hard drive

2. External hard drive not being recognized

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External hard drive not being recognized: MYBook external hard drive is not being recognized by my PC. What can I do? The power light is on but nothing comes up and I can't open it up to see data. I have tried numerous things....full of memories and pictures. Please help...
  3. External hard drive not recognized by Windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External hard drive not recognized by Windows: Earlier today, when starting my computer, my WD 4TB Elements Desktop external drive was recognized. I was able to access the drive. Now, it is not recognized. It is listed in Disk Management as Disk 2 Unknown Disk, Not Initialized. Windows 10 does list the drive under Device...
  4. External hard drive not recognized by Windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External hard drive not recognized by Windows: Earlier today, when starting my computer, my WD 4TB Elements Desktop external drive was recognized. I was able to access the drive. Now, it is not recognized. It is listed in Disk Management as Disk 2 Unknown Disk, Not Initialized. Windows 10 does list the drive under Device...
  5. external hard drive not recognized

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    external hard drive not recognized: i recentley came accross a hard drive i had from and old Acer laptop, i think it had windows 7 or 8 on it, so i bought a SATA to USB 3.0, 2.5 inc case and plugged it in to the mac that i have been using for 3 years now, in finder there it was marked Acer open it up and could...
  6. External Hard Drives Not Recognized

External Hard Drives Not Recognized: We have just purchased a desktop unit and a touchscreen laptop and in both cases the external hard drives that were attached are no longer recognized by the new computers. Both of the computers have received all Windows Updates. I have downloaded the driver software and...
  7. External Hard drive Not recognized

External Hard drive Not recognized: The device I am trying to install is an external hard drive I purchased from thee MAC store Backup Plus Portable Drive. I have tried all three methods stated above and non of them worked for me. In particular in regards to method 3 I have downloaded and installed the...
  8. Toshiba external hard drive not recognized

Toshiba external hard drive not recognized: [ATTACH] This is a Toshiba 3Tb external hard drive I have used in the past and it worked fine until one day I got this error. I have tried updating drivers, windows says I have the latest version. I've looked into partitioning, windows doesn't even show the hard drive. I...
  9. external hard drive not recognized

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    external hard drive not recognized: I had storage spaces From windows 8.1 that computer went down I moved Storage spaces to another computer. windows 10 machine. Everything works. I was able to Copy those files to another drives. now I want to reuse those drives but only let me rename it not to remove. I...
  10. external hard drive not recognized

external hard drive not recognized: I have two Western Digital 300GB, USB3, external drives. Suddenly both are not recognized by Windows. 1) Neither appear as a drive in File Explorer 2) Device Manager reports that the "device is working properly", and the drivers are up to date. There is a message in...