Windows 10: External Hard Drive not seen when connecting by eSata to USB 3 cable

Discus and support External Hard Drive not seen when connecting by eSata to USB 3 cable in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a 1TB external hard drive (Medion HDDrive 2 GO) from 2010 that came with a Medion PC from Aldi which my family still use. It is equiped with an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Chillblast2017, Sep 13, 2017.

1. External Hard Drive not seen when connecting by eSata to USB 3 cable

I have a 1TB external hard drive (Medion HDDrive 2 GO) from 2010 that came with a Medion PC from Aldi which my family still use. It is equiped with an eSata connection and a USB2 connection. Both these work fine on the old Medion PC running Windows 10 Home 32bit. The eSata connection is much faster speed and I have a eSata to USB3 adaptor cable which works fine on the Medion PC.
    I want to use this external drive of a newer PC that only has USB 2 and 3 connections. It works fine plugged into both USB2 and USB3 with the standard USB to USB cable.
    But plugging the eSata to USB3 cable in nothing happens.
    I have tried to see if I can get a driver from Medion but the unit is not listed on their web site.
    Also have tried to see if I can get a driver on the internet and did install one that looked hopeful but did not help.
    Attached are images of the showing the drivers in use on the Medion PC (Windows 10 Home 32 bit) when connected by USB to USB cable and eSata to USB cable.
    Also attached is image of driver in use on newer PC (Windows 10 Pro 64 bit) when connected by USB to USB cable.

Older Medion PC says when connected with eSata to USB cable that External Hard Drive is a ASMT 2115 USB device - disk drive (driver Microsoft 10.0.14393.0 21/06/2006)
    and when connected by USB to USB cable as Hitachi HDS721010CLA332 USB drive (driver Microsoft 10.0.14393.0 21/06/2006).

On newer PC (Win 10 Pro 64 bit) when connected by USB to USB cable it says Hitachi HDS721010CLA332 USB drive (driver Microsoft 10.0.14393.1613 21/06/2006).

Any suggestions on how to get the eSata to USB3 cable connection for this externasl hard drive to work on Windows 10 Pro 64 bit PC?
    Would it be possible to copy some how driver from older PC to new PC?

Many thanks for any advice.

External Hard Drive not seen when connecting by eSata to USB 3 cable [​IMG]

External Hard Drive not seen when connecting by eSata to USB 3 cable [​IMG]

:)

Chillblast2017, Sep 13, 2017

2. How Can I Get Windows 10 to "See" my External Hard Drive in the eSata Port?

I had a problem where I had attempted to use an external hard drive (Fantom 4TB) with an eSATA cable after I had been using the drive with a USB 2.0 cable. All of my drivers were up to date/installed. The drive showed up under disk management, but not in
    file manager. No drive letter assigned and all of the options under disk management greyed out/unusable. Still works correctly using USB cable.

It appears that using the drive via USB prevents it from being (later) used via eSATA without cleaning the disk, which is to say making it as if never used before.

So, I first reconnected drive via USB to copy all files to another drive. Then I opened diskpart from a command prompt. Then entered "list disk" to get list of HDDs in my PC (Note: "List Volume" command will not show anything for the drive in question).
    Making sure I had correct disk, entered "select disk 3", 3 being the external drive connected via USB at this point. Then entered "clean disk."

Now you should see the drive in disk management screen as unallocated. close programs and power off PC and external drive. change cable to external drive from USB to eSATA. Power on drive first and then PC. Open disk management again. You should see the
    external drive as unallocated and you can now add it back in as a simple volume same as if it were a new internal HDD.

This problem is not explained very well and there are many un-necessary and wrong solutions floating around, some tied to programs you have to pay for that may or may not solve the problem. Apparently, the manufacturer of the external drive I have even charges
    for emailed support. Very poor way to handle customer service in my opinion.

If drive works while connected via USB but not while connected via eSATA, try this method first before you waste your time with drivers, etc.

Steve42Packard, Sep 13, 2017
  3. vantec nex star 3 external drive

I have Vantec nex star 3 external drive. It is not being reconized in e sata. It is not under my computer and device manager for the external hard drive. If you do the trouble under hardware it show up in my computer and desk manager. When you switch it
    off again and turn it back on later it not being reconized in my computer and disk manager for the external hard drive.. Have to do the trouble shoot again to reconized it. I did check the driver and it is working properly and has letter G for the external
    drive. I'm running window 10 and I did bring the computer for repair. Since then it is not being recongized for the external hard drive. P:S I change from e sata to usb and in usb it works fine turning it off and on it show up right away in the usb port with
    the letter G for the external drive.. so could it be not the proper drive for window 10 for the external nex star 3 Vantec for esata. Right now even in e sata or usb the driver is working properly. But it isn't at all when you turn it off and back on for
    esata. not being reconized at all. Just in usb it always works fine P:S could it be not the proper drive for the external nex star 3 for esata?"????. works fine in usb. Or could it be the Bios not reconizing the external drive. Under Bios all I have under
    bios under advance is cpu configuration, chipset, on board devices configuration usb configuration, pci Pnp. there is some setting not enable which has no esata under advanced to enable. Or do we need to go under command to set it up properly.?????. Please
    repy for fixing external e sata for nex star 3 Vantec. Thank Ray

[Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Windows update, recovery, & backup]

RaymondBelanger, Sep 13, 2017
  4. External Hard Drive not seen when connecting by eSata to USB 3 cable

Hi Chillbast2017. Welcome to the TenForums @Chillblast2017

While not answering the question you asked, have you considered getting an eSata expansion card?

Ken

Caledon Ken, Sep 14, 2017
  5. luarpc Win User
    Hi Chillbast2017.

Try this:

Connect your External Hard Drive eSata to USB3 to new pc.
    Open Computer Management, then Disk Management and at the bottom search for your 1 TB external hard drive, if you can see it there, right click mouse on it, then click on Change Drive Letter and Paths, click on Add, choose Assign the Following Drive Letter, choose the letter on your right and click ok. Close Computer Management. See if it worked. I had the same problem with an old HD on Windows 10 x64, windows didn't recognize the hard drive connected with eSata cable to USB 2 or 3, and this did the trick.

Cheers

luarpc, Sep 14, 2017
  6. Hi
    Although when connecting the external hard drive to new computer (Windows 10 Pro 64 bit) by eSata to USB3 cable in to USB3 socket the computer makes an audible bleep, nothing shows in disc management for this.

When drive is connected by USB to USB cable (USB2) the drive is seen and opened and automatically allocated as drive G and is visible in disc management as such and labelled as HDDRIVE2GO (G*Smile.

Really puzzled as to why same does not happen when connecting using the eSata to USB3 cable (as it works perfectly on old computer running Windows 10 home 32 bit.

As this external hard drive is a fully enclosed drive with separate power supply I am not certain how an eSata expansion card would help me.
    Thanks
    Steve

Chillblast2017, Sep 14, 2017
  7. It would allow you to connect. Don't believe there is any power in port so no issue.

Caledon Ken, Sep 14, 2017
  8. External Hard Drive not seen when connecting by eSata to USB 3 cable

Hi
    I had a response from Medion who made this external hard drive saying that even connected by esata to USB3 cable the drive does not support USB3 and that is why not recognised. Will work plugged eSata to USB2 at USB2 speeds.
    So possibly may be worth thinking about an eSata expansion card. But possibly cost of card and eSata connecting cable at around £15 would part pay towards a new 1Tb portable external hard drive at around £45.

Chillblast2017, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

External Hard Drive not seen when connecting by eSata to USB 3 cable

1. External Hard Drive not seen when connecting by eSata to USB 3 cable - Similar Threads - External Hard Drive

2. Hard Drive connected via external SATA to USB cable is not showing in Windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hard Drive connected via external SATA to USB cable is not showing in Windows: I have a 500GB 2.5" form factor hard disk which I encrypted using bitlocker. It worked fine, I enter the password and it gets decrypted, however while encrypting the encryption did not completed and it stuck at 92% regardless the drive works fine whenever I plug it, the drive...
  3. Hard Drive connected via external SATA to USB cable is not showing in Windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hard Drive connected via external SATA to USB cable is not showing in Windows: I have a 500GB 2.5" form factor hard disk which I encrypted using bitlocker. It worked fine, I enter the password and it gets decrypted, however while encrypting the encryption did not completed and it stuck at 92% regardless the drive works fine whenever I plug it, the drive...
  4. Hard Drive connected via external SATA to USB cable is not showing in Windows

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. external hard drive connected by usb

external hard drive connected by usb: How do I get windows file explorer to recognize a 500 giga bite hard drive connected by USB https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hard-drive-connected-by-usb/57ede349-6ed9-4cb0-bf8d-d9d999cf1157
  6. Android phone files not seen on laptop when connected through usb cable

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Android phone files not seen on laptop when connected through usb cable: I have a smart Samsung android phone and would like to know as to how can I get to see files on my windows 10 laptop,and also be able to transfer them from phone to my laptop and vice versa....
  7. Old hard drive seen when connected to Windows 10 Laptops but not seen when connected to...

Old hard drive seen when connected to Windows 10 Laptops but not seen when connected to...: I replaced the 1 Tb Dynamic hard drive Made by Microsoft in my laptop with a solid state drive and used the replaced drive to make an external drive with USB connection using a commercially available container. This drive is not accessible on my PC. I can see the drive on...
  8. External hard drive connected by USB port

External hard drive connected by USB port: I have this external hard drive that has been designated as F and also a removable flash drive as E. Both use USB ports and have been working. Now the computer sees neither after rebooting twice. Tried to switch the ports and drives also. Any suggestions?...
  9. Security settings for external esata / usb drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Security settings for external esata / usb drive: Hello, Recently upgraded to a Windows 10 PC, I also have another nearly identical Windows 10 PC plus three other PC running earlier versions of Windows. I have a 1TB external SATA drive (accessing from an eSata and USB connection) that I need to access from all my PC's...
  10. eSATA to USB 3 adapter?

eSATA to USB 3 adapter?: Sort of a hardware question: I I have an old PC with an front panel eSATA port (not power eSATA or eSATA + USB) and a couple USB 2 ports but no USB 3 ports. I have no need for eSATA but have a number of USB 3.0 devices. I've been looking for an eSTAT-m to USB 3.0-f adapter or...