Windows 10: external hard drive not showing up as option to install

Discus and support external hard drive not showing up as option to install in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; i have a external hard drive plugged in to my surface tablet but I cat' install or download any games to it it not showing up in the file explorer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Goggs25, Nov 27, 2021.

1. Goggs25 Win User

external hard drive not showing up as option to install

i have a external hard drive plugged in to my surface tablet but I cat' install or download any games to it it not showing up in the file explorer either.

:)

Goggs25, Nov 27, 2021
  2. Remon Ont Win User

External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, Nov 27, 2021
  3. external hard drive

Hi Chrpee,

If you can't find external hard drive on Disk management than the next step is using the diskpart via command line, please follow the steps below:-

On the keyboard hit ((Windows logo key + R key)) than type ((CMD))

Now the windows command line will appear, the next steps is to type ((diskpart))

After that type ((list disk)) to show you the list of hard disks with partitions

If you found your external hard drive one of the list than you need to type ((select disk number)), note: the number is a disk number

Once you selected the hard disk or partitions than type ((clean))

than type ((create partition primary))

than type ((select partition 1))

than type ((active))

than type ((format fs=ntfs quick))

than type ((assign))

last type ((exit))

Check if the external hard drive appeared, if not please see the link below for more info and let me know if you need any assist

https://uk.pcmag.com/dvd-burners/120624/what-to...

Abdirahman Issa, Nov 27, 2021
  4. Marco Gav Win User

unrecognised external hard drive on Windows 10

Since you already reinstalled the drivers of the External Hard Drive, let's run the
    Hardware and Devices troubleshooter as it can resolve your concern. You can do that by following these steps:

• Press the Start button.

• Type and select Troubleshooting.

• Click on View all on the left panel.

• Select and run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter.

If the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter doesn’t resolve your concern, we suggest that you change the letter of the External Hard Drive. You can do that by following these steps:

• Press the Start button.

• Type and select Control panel.

• Select System and Security.

• Select Administrative Tools, and a new window will appear.

• Double-click Computer Management, and a new window will appear.

• Select Disk Management that is located under
      Storage
      in the left pane.

• Right click on the External Hard Drive that is not showing on the File Explorer.

• Select Change letter and network path, and a new window will appear.

• Select Change, and choose the letter that you want for the External Hard Drive.

After changing the letter of the External Hard Drive, we suggest that you reboot your laptop for the changes to take effect.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Marco Gav, Nov 27, 2021
Thema:

1. external hard drive not showing up as option to install - Similar Threads - external hard drive

2. external hard drive not showing up on windows

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    external hard drive not showing up on windows: Hello I format a external hard drive with Mac book.I need to copy some documents from Mac book.but after that I cannot read it from my windows computer.I can see the windows already recognize it, but it is only shows as "devices and USB"cannot read it as a external...
  3. external hard drive not showing up as option to install

in Windows 10 Gaming
    external hard drive not showing up as option to install: i have a external hard drive plugged in to my surface tablet but I cat' install or download any games to it it not showing up in the file explorer either....
  4. external hard drive not showing up as option to install

external hard drive not showing up as option to install: i have a external hard drive plugged in to my surface tablet but I cat' install or download any games to it it not showing up in the file explorer either....
  5. External hard drive not showing up

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External hard drive not showing up: I just downloaded windows on a flash drive then plugged it into my pc but when i go to select where i want to download windows nothing shows up. Please help...
  6. External Hard Drive not showing up

External Hard Drive not showing up: Hello I have an external hard drive that worked only a few days ago perfectly,but today it doesn't show up at all under the devices and drives. The computer recognizes that it is connected to the PC. It also doesn't show in disk management. I can use minitool partition...
  7. External Hard Drive not showing up

External Hard Drive not showing up: Hey there, So I have had a seagate external hard drive for a couple years now. I use it every day, it is a larger 5 tb drive that requires both usb and external power. STEB5000100. I have never had an issue with it popping up when I turn my pc on until the other day....
  8. external hard drive not showing up

external hard drive not showing up: it's not showing up at all. not in windows explorer, not in the device manager, not in disk management, it's as if i didn't even put it in. it's always worked perfectly fine on my laptop (which is what i'm using now) and i used it on my computer (windows 7) just several...
  9. External Hard Drive Not Showing UP

External Hard Drive Not Showing UP: Hello, I am using a WD external hard drive to transfer files from one Windows 10 machine to others. The first machine saw the disk fine, and I added all of the data. The next two machines saw the disk fine, and I transferred all of the date. The fourth machine does not...
  10. External Hard Drive not showing up

External Hard Drive not showing up: I have an external hard drive that I have used regularly with a Windows 7 machine via esata that does not show up when plugged into my Windows 10 notebook via USB. I can see it under the disk management, but there is no drive letter assigned so I cannot access it. ? 37434