Windows 10: External Hard Drive not showing up

Discus and support External Hard Drive not showing up in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have an external hard drive that I have used regularly with a Windows 7 machine via esata that does not show up when plugged into my Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by 3DPiper, Jan 13, 2016.

1. 3DPiper Win User

External Hard Drive not showing up

I have an external hard drive that I have used regularly with a Windows 7 machine via esata
    that does not show up when plugged into my Windows 10 notebook via USB.
    I can see it under the disk management, but there is no drive letter assigned so I cannot access it.

?

:)

3DPiper, Jan 13, 2016
  2. Anne Ros Win User

External Hard Drive not showing up?

Hi,

This might be caused by software conflicts. For us to properly isolate the cause of the issue, we need additional information:

• Is it working before on the same device?
    • Were there any changes made on your device prior to the issue?
    • Did an update occur on your Windows?

In the meantime, you can try following the steps provided by Likhitha V on this
    thread to resolve the issue.

We'll keep an eye out for your response.

Anne Ros, Jan 13, 2016
  3. drevalin Win User
    External Hard Drive not showing up?

Hi, today I plugged my hard drive in and noticed that it didn't show up under devices and drives. I've tried restarting my laptop and have tested it on all of my usb ports and none of them seem to detect it. I tested the hard drive on a different laptop
    and it worked perfectly. When I go into disk management it does not show up, and there don't appear to be any missing drivers. My usb ports all seem to be working fine and work well with my phone charger and mouse.

Is there anything I can do to sort this out?

Cheers

drevalin, Jan 13, 2016
  4. topgundcp Win User

If there's no letter assigned to it then it's hidden. Right click on it -> Change Drive Letter.... then assign a letter for it.

topgundcp, Jan 13, 2016
  5. 3DPiper Win User
    I can see the drive in disk management, but the option to select 'change drive letter' is greyed out.
    External Hard Drive not showing up [​IMG]

EDIT: I plugged it back up to the windows 7 machine via USB, and it is assigned a drive letter and shows up fine in windows explorer..
    ?

3DPiper, Jan 13, 2016
  6. Boice Win User
    As Oliverpowell said you may first check the option is ticked or not. If still not works, you can try some third-party partition software like AOMEI Partition Assistant or else to change drive letter so that the drive can show up.

Boice, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. External Hard Drive not showing up - Similar Threads - External Hard Drive

2. external hard drive not showing up on windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    external hard drive not showing up on windows: Hello I format a external hard drive with Mac book.I need to copy some documents from Mac book.but after that I cannot read it from my windows computer.I can see the windows already recognize it, but it is only shows as "devices and USB"cannot read it as a external...
  3. external hard drive not showing up on windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    external hard drive not showing up on windows: Hello I format a external hard drive with Mac book.I need to copy some documents from Mac book.but after that I cannot read it from my windows computer.I can see the windows already recognize it, but it is only shows as "devices and USB"cannot read it as a external...
  4. external hard drive not showing up on windows

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. External hard drive not showing up

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External hard drive not showing up: I just downloaded windows on a flash drive then plugged it into my pc but when i go to select where i want to download windows nothing shows up. Please help...
  6. external hard drive not showing up in explorer

external hard drive not showing up in explorer: my external hard drive has been dropped from a metere hight and when i connect to laptop It is recognized as a device and showing up in device manager but not appearing in windows explorer. In disk manager its showing as Disk 1 and initialize , i tried to initialize but its...
  7. External Hard Drive not showing up

External Hard Drive not showing up: Hello I have an external hard drive that worked only a few days ago perfectly,but today it doesn't show up at all under the devices and drives. The computer recognizes that it is connected to the PC. It also doesn't show in disk management. I can use minitool partition...
  8. External Hard Drive not showing up

External Hard Drive not showing up: Hey there, So I have had a seagate external hard drive for a couple years now. I use it every day, it is a larger 5 tb drive that requires both usb and external power. STEB5000100. I have never had an issue with it popping up when I turn my pc on until the other day....
  9. external hard drive not showing up

external hard drive not showing up: it's not showing up at all. not in windows explorer, not in the device manager, not in disk management, it's as if i didn't even put it in. it's always worked perfectly fine on my laptop (which is what i'm using now) and i used it on my computer (windows 7) just several...
  10. External Hard Drive Not Showing UP

External Hard Drive Not Showing UP: Hello, I am using a WD external hard drive to transfer files from one Windows 10 machine to others. The first machine saw the disk fine, and I added all of the data. The next two machines saw the disk fine, and I transferred all of the date. The fourth machine does not...