Windows 10: external hard drive not visible

Discus and support external hard drive not visible in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have acquired a disk caddy with the intention of using an old hard drive as a back-up drive but have found that although the arrangement works... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Ted@home, Jan 2, 2019.

1. Ted@home Win User

external hard drive not visible

I have acquired a disk caddy with the intention of using an old hard drive as a back-up drive but have found that although the arrangement works perfectly in my laptop it is totally invisible in my desktop. There is no ping when switched on and does not appear in device manager. I would be grateful for any ideas.

Thanks for reading this.

:)

Ted@home, Jan 2, 2019
  2. cobrasl Win User

External Hard Drive (WD Elements) is visible in PW but not in explorer

followed steps..

the partition displayed as below...

external hard drive not visible [​IMG]

as advised I selected "list".. and for a long time it was like this..

cobrasl, Jan 2, 2019
  3. Remon Ont Win User
    External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, Jan 2, 2019
  4. jumanji Win User

External Hard Drive (WD Elements) is visible in PW but not in explorer

The process of reaching the destination is vividly explained here Copying files listed by TestDisk during Recovery : My post #28 here https://www.sevenforums.com/hardware...ml#post2395385 (already mentioned in my post #5 )

I repeat it here

Here I am omitting the screenshots leading to the listing of files in the faulty drive since you already know how to get there.

jumanji, Jan 2, 2019
Thema:

1. external hard drive not visible - Similar Threads - external hard drive

2. Toshiba external hard drive visible in Device Manager but not File Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Toshiba external hard drive visible in Device Manager but not File Explorer: Hello!I have a Toshiba external hard drive that is not detected by my Lenovo Yoga running Windows 11. I believe I need to reformat it because it was previously used on a Mac computer. I've already transferred the contents to my GDrive and the Toshiba is empty. Any...
  3. Toshiba external hard drive visible in Device Manager but not File Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Toshiba external hard drive visible in Device Manager but not File Explorer: Hello!I have a Toshiba external hard drive that is not detected by my Lenovo Yoga running Windows 11. I believe I need to reformat it because it was previously used on a Mac computer. I've already transferred the contents to my GDrive and the Toshiba is empty. Any...
  4. external hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    external hard drive: What external hard drive do you recommend for back-up on Dell Inspiron 3671. I do not want to save to the cloud. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hard-drive/c23fb5c0-2b97-457d-81ca-3a824c7e6f1a
  5. External hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External hard drive: When I plug in my hard drive I get a message (F:\is not accessible.) Access is denied. Why, https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hard-drive/7469afee-e3f1-4499-9926-b55a995943bb
  6. external hard drive

external hard drive: Why is windows not recognizing my external hard drive, its fn 2019 this s should be plug and play your os is garbage https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hard-drive/8a51c6c8-175f-4d84-b6e7-84ab2697752f
  7. external hard drives

external hard drives: Earlier this week windows did an update and since then it is failing to recognise some of my external hard drive, also windows keeps crashing and re-booting, everything was working fine until update...
  8. New External Drive not visible in "This PC"

New External Drive not visible in "This PC": My new external Toshiba drive (Disk 1) does not show up under "This PC." The drive is connected with a USB3.0 cable to a USB 3.1 port on the pc. I can see it in the Taskbar via the icon that I turned on (Safely Remove HArdware). I can see the drive also in the Device Manager....
  9. External Hard Drive (WD Elements) is visible in PW but not in explorer

External Hard Drive (WD Elements) is visible in PW but not in explorer: My WD Element HDD is not working after I plug it in to my WDTV unit. I tried to recover my files using PW but I'm unable recover it can anyone please help me.. How it shows in Explorer [img] but it does not appear in Disk Management [img] HDD is visible in...
  10. External hard drive not visible

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External hard drive not visible: Hi all, I have a 3TB external hard drive plugged in to my pc. I use it to stream movies and music to a couple of media players in the house via our wifi network. Recently it has disappeared from my view on the pc. When I plug it in via usb, nothing happens, yet when I plug...