Windows 10: External hard drive not visible

Discus and support External hard drive not visible in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi all, I have a 3TB external hard drive plugged in to my pc. I use it to stream movies and music to a couple of media players in the house via our... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by pw2112, Feb 24, 2016.

1. pw2112 Win User

External hard drive not visible

Hi all,
    I have a 3TB external hard drive plugged in to my pc. I use it to stream movies and music to a couple of media players in the house via our wifi network. Recently it has disappeared from my view on the pc. When I plug it in via usb, nothing happens, yet when I plug it in to my daughters laptop it is recognised, leading me to believe it is a setting problem with my pc rather than a problem with the hard drive. Can anybody advise how to make it work again.
    Many thanks,
    Paul

:)

pw2112, Feb 24, 2016
  2. CERogers Win User

Can not back up to new external hard drive

I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10. Before doing this upgrade, I backed up my Windows 7 OS to an older, external hard drive. When I upgraded to Windows 10, there was not enough room left in the older external hard drive to back up the new OS and my
    files so I deleted the old hard drive in order to add a new external hard drive.

The new external hard drive plugs into a usb port and is visible in the device manager and is working properly and has the most updated drivers. It has no additional software to use. However, it is NOT visible when I try to access it in the file history
    to back up my files nor is it visible when I try to access it in order to make a system image of my new Windows 10 OS. The only hard drives visible are my main laptop hard drive and the CD/DVD drive if I want to make copies onto a CD or DVD.

How do I access this new hard drive?

CERogers, Feb 24, 2016
  3. Liezl Fal Win User
    External Hard Drive not Visible in Explorer but Visible Everywhere Else

To add clarity to what we have mentioned above, it is best that you contact the support team of Bootcamp so they can give you the right configurations that will enable your Seagate hard drive to be detected on your Bootcamp loaded on Mac OS machine.

If you have further questions, please don't hesitate to get back to us.

Regards.

Liezl Fal, Feb 24, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

dalchina, Feb 24, 2016
  5. bro67 Win User
    Use Device Manager to show Hidden devices and remove the USB drive. Does it work on any other computers? Are you running any kind of third party security software?

If you are streaming media on your Network, you are best to invest in or build your own NAS.

bro67, Feb 25, 2016
  6. pw2112 Win User
    Thanks for the replies, I have had a look in device manager, there was a usb device listed as CODE43, I assume this was my external hard drive. I googled code43 and followed the instructions to uninstall it and turn off the computer and unplug for 10 minutes, then start it but that hasn't cured it. When file explorer is open, down the left hand side where it lists the desktop, documents and the hard drives etc, under the network tab is listed my BT home hub and PAUL. If I click on Paul it lists the "G" drive which I cannot see elsewhere but when I double click it a window opens that says "\\PAUL\G (Samsung) is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. The device is not ready."
    The hard drive is recognised if I plug it in to my daughters laptop. This hard drive has worked flawlessly for six months or so, I download music, films etc and transfer them onto it, it is shared from my pc and we have a media player in the living room and bedroom so we can stream said music, films etc to our tv.

pw2112, Feb 25, 2016
  7. dalchina New Member
    Sounds as if it may be a permissions issue. Hope someone can advise on that in this scenario. Presumably you expect G: to be the letter assigned to your 3Tb drive..

Meanwhile, again, could you confirm you can plug some other external disk into your USB ports on your PC and have it recognise ok?

dalchina, Feb 25, 2016
  8. pw2112 Win User

Yeah, G was the letter for that hard drive when it worked. I have another external hard drive plugged in that works fine, I have plugged the G hard drive into the usb port that the other working hard drive is using but it still isn't recognised. I also think it's a permissions issue but can't work out how to solve it

pw2112, Feb 25, 2016
  9. dalchina New Member
    Could you post a screenshot of your drive's permissions?

dalchina, Feb 25, 2016
  10. pw2112 Win User
    I have no idea how to do that, I'm afraid

pw2112, Feb 25, 2016
  11. dalchina New Member
    Rt click drive (it will have to be in the other PC), properties, security, and screenshot of each set of permissions.

E.g.

External hard drive not visible [​IMG]

Note I've carefully positioned the slider to show all in the bottom section.
    1 screenshot per group or user name.

Screenshots: freeware, or the Snipping tool

Type 'Snip' in the search box.
    Save and then upload using the 3rd icon to the right of the emoticon here.

It would be interesting to try this on your own PC -
    Windows key + R, enter 'diskmgmt.msc'
    You should see a partition manager window.

Post a screenshot of what that shows of G, then follow the above on permissions if it will let you.

dalchina, Feb 25, 2016
  12. bro67 Win User
    You do not have to unplug your computer or completely shut down when making changes on Windows.

Just reboot the machine. That error usually pops up when the portable device has issues. What is the mfg and model of that portable device?

bro67, Feb 25, 2016
  13. pw2112 Win User

This is a screen shot of partition manager. It doesn't show the drive in question, G . It is a Samsung hard drive. I cannot connect the hard drive to my daughters laptop, she is away for a few days. I'll post up some screen shots when I get the chance, it may be a week or so though.

This is what pops up when I double click the G drive that displays in the network tab under PAUL

pw2112, Feb 25, 2016
  14. dalchina New Member
    Mm, didn't think it would let you.
    Please do that on the other PC.

Meanwhile also please try as before unless you've already done it uninstalling all USB hubs and restarting. Worth trying, though I doubt it will help. I feel I'm missing sthg.. or simply don't know.

dalchina, Feb 25, 2016
  15. pw2112 Win User

These are the permissions of the drive when plugged in to the laptop. It shows that "Creator/owner" has only special permissions yet every other one has a tick by all the options. I have altered it so creator/owner has a tick by all the options but it still does not appear on my pc

pw2112, Mar 4, 2016
Thema:

1. External hard drive not visible - Similar Threads - External hard drive

2. Toshiba external hard drive visible in Device Manager but not File Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Toshiba external hard drive visible in Device Manager but not File Explorer: Hello!I have a Toshiba external hard drive that is not detected by my Lenovo Yoga running Windows 11. I believe I need to reformat it because it was previously used on a Mac computer. I've already transferred the contents to my GDrive and the Toshiba is empty. Any...
  3. Toshiba external hard drive visible in Device Manager but not File Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Toshiba external hard drive visible in Device Manager but not File Explorer: Hello!I have a Toshiba external hard drive that is not detected by my Lenovo Yoga running Windows 11. I believe I need to reformat it because it was previously used on a Mac computer. I've already transferred the contents to my GDrive and the Toshiba is empty. Any...
  4. external hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    external hard drive: What external hard drive do you recommend for back-up on Dell Inspiron 3671. I do not want to save to the cloud. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hard-drive/c23fb5c0-2b97-457d-81ca-3a824c7e6f1a
  5. External hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External hard drive: When I plug in my hard drive I get a message (F:\is not accessible.) Access is denied. Why, https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hard-drive/7469afee-e3f1-4499-9926-b55a995943bb
  6. external hard drive

external hard drive: Why is windows not recognizing my external hard drive, its fn 2019 this s should be plug and play your os is garbage https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hard-drive/8a51c6c8-175f-4d84-b6e7-84ab2697752f
  7. external hard drives

external hard drives: Earlier this week windows did an update and since then it is failing to recognise some of my external hard drive, also windows keeps crashing and re-booting, everything was working fine until update...
  8. external hard drive not visible

in Windows 10 Customization
    external hard drive not visible: I have acquired a disk caddy with the intention of using an old hard drive as a back-up drive but have found that although the arrangement works perfectly in my laptop it is totally invisible in my desktop. There is no ping when switched on and does not appear in device...
  9. New External Drive not visible in "This PC"

New External Drive not visible in "This PC": My new external Toshiba drive (Disk 1) does not show up under "This PC." The drive is connected with a USB3.0 cable to a USB 3.1 port on the pc. I can see it in the Taskbar via the icon that I turned on (Safely Remove HArdware). I can see the drive also in the Device Manager....
  10. External Hard Drive (WD Elements) is visible in PW but not in explorer

External Hard Drive (WD Elements) is visible in PW but not in explorer: My WD Element HDD is not working after I plug it in to my WDTV unit. I tried to recover my files using PW but I'm unable recover it can anyone please help me.. How it shows in Explorer [img] but it does not appear in Disk Management [img] HDD is visible in...