Windows 10: External hard drive not visible

Discus and support External hard drive not visible in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; My best guess is that the drive in question does not now have a drive letter allocated. Had this yesterday - plug it in and no ding dongs and not seen... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by pw2112, Feb 24, 2016.

1. linw Win User

External hard drive not visible

My best guess is that the drive in question does not now have a drive letter allocated. Had this yesterday - plug it in and no ding dongs and not seen in Explorer. And the error from network is probably because it can't be found.

It can happen when another device gets given the drive letter. For drives like your files drive , and backup drives, it is a good idea to give them a drive letter well away from the range that windows uses. I use U and V, for example.

Your Disk Management screen shot showed a Drive 7 but we couldn't see it. That wouldn't have been your missing drive would it?? If so, and it has no drive letter, give it one e.g. U.

Otherwise, don't know!!!!! At least it will only take a minute or so to check the drive letter hunch.

2. bro67 Win User

If it is a USB device, the registry can hold on to the old hardware info and not flush it out when you keep connecting it. You are best to either replace with a NAS or leave connected.

bro67, Mar 5, 2016
  3. pw2112 Win User
    The drive you can't see on the screenshot is another external harddrive (F) drive 7 on the disk management screenshot.
    The drive that now can't be seen (G) drive was always plugged in. That way when I download something new, I transfer it across from my downloads folder onto the G drive without having to connect and disconnect it all the time, then we just stream it via our home wifi using the media players.
    I'm not sure how a NAS works but surely it must be more complicated than that, not to mention more expensive, as I would surely need to purchase additional hardware and then connect and disconnect it to my PC.

So, assuming the drive now has no letter allocated to it, how do I solve that issue. A step by step guide would be really useful, unfortunately I'm not great with this sort of thing but I can follow instructions if they are straightforward. Thanks again for your help and patience with this matter.

pw2112, Mar 5, 2016
  4. brummyfan Win User

Hi,
    Try expanding USB Controllers in Device manager and see whether any unrecognised devices listed, if you have any, right click it, go to driver tab and uninstall the driver and reboot.

brummyfan, Mar 5, 2016
  5. linw Win User
    If it has no drive letter it will still show up in Disk Manager so something else is astray.

6. pw2112 Win User
    An update, I have been away for a couple of nights, my pc has been switched off at the plug socket whilst I was away. Got home today, turned on the pc and my hard drive is visible and accessible again. I have no explanation for this but my issue is now solved. Thanks for all you guys trying to help me with this problem and I'm sorry I can't explain how my problem was solved.

pw2112, Mar 11, 2016
  7. linw Win User
    Good result.

I am annoyed with myself as I have heard of this a longish time ago. The remedy, then, with a bad USB connection, was to pull the power cord out overnight as I recall. This drains the mobo capacitors and gets the USB sockets working again.

Thema:

1. External hard drive not visible - Similar Threads - External hard drive

2. Toshiba external hard drive visible in Device Manager but not File Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Toshiba external hard drive visible in Device Manager but not File Explorer: Hello!I have a Toshiba external hard drive that is not detected by my Lenovo Yoga running Windows 11. I believe I need to reformat it because it was previously used on a Mac computer. I've already transferred the contents to my GDrive and the Toshiba is empty. Any...
  3. Toshiba external hard drive visible in Device Manager but not File Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Toshiba external hard drive visible in Device Manager but not File Explorer: Hello!I have a Toshiba external hard drive that is not detected by my Lenovo Yoga running Windows 11. I believe I need to reformat it because it was previously used on a Mac computer. I've already transferred the contents to my GDrive and the Toshiba is empty. Any...
  4. external hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    external hard drive: What external hard drive do you recommend for back-up on Dell Inspiron 3671. I do not want to save to the cloud. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hard-drive/c23fb5c0-2b97-457d-81ca-3a824c7e6f1a
  5. External hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External hard drive: When I plug in my hard drive I get a message (F:\is not accessible.) Access is denied. Why, https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hard-drive/7469afee-e3f1-4499-9926-b55a995943bb
  6. external hard drive

external hard drive: Why is windows not recognizing my external hard drive, its fn 2019 this s should be plug and play your os is garbage https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hard-drive/8a51c6c8-175f-4d84-b6e7-84ab2697752f
  7. external hard drives

external hard drives: Earlier this week windows did an update and since then it is failing to recognise some of my external hard drive, also windows keeps crashing and re-booting, everything was working fine until update...
  8. external hard drive not visible

in Windows 10 Customization
    external hard drive not visible: I have acquired a disk caddy with the intention of using an old hard drive as a back-up drive but have found that although the arrangement works perfectly in my laptop it is totally invisible in my desktop. There is no ping when switched on and does not appear in device...
  9. New External Drive not visible in "This PC"

New External Drive not visible in "This PC": My new external Toshiba drive (Disk 1) does not show up under "This PC." The drive is connected with a USB3.0 cable to a USB 3.1 port on the pc. I can see it in the Taskbar via the icon that I turned on (Safely Remove HArdware). I can see the drive also in the Device Manager....
  10. External Hard Drive (WD Elements) is visible in PW but not in explorer

External Hard Drive (WD Elements) is visible in PW but not in explorer: My WD Element HDD is not working after I plug it in to my WDTV unit. I tried to recover my files using PW but I'm unable recover it can anyone please help me.. How it shows in Explorer [img] but it does not appear in Disk Management [img] HDD is visible in...