Windows 10: External hard drive partition is missing, and not showing in disk management as unallocated.

Discus and support External hard drive partition is missing, and not showing in disk management as unallocated. in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I have an external hard disk drive, with 2 partitions D261 GB, E437GB. Suddenly once the local diskE: is missing in file explorer, the local diskD:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Arshad IrfanKT, Feb 14, 2022.

1. External hard drive partition is missing, and not showing in disk management as unallocated.

I have an external hard disk drive, with 2 partitions D261 GB, E437GB. Suddenly once the local diskE: is missing in file explorer, the local diskD: drive is still there. When I open disk management it shows only the D drive with 698GB as total space which is the total space the drive has. How do I get back the E drive files? I am adding a screenshot of both file explorer and disk management.NB: the local diskC: is an internal SSD

:)

Arshad IrfanKT, Feb 14, 2022

2. problems with formating external hard drive. Drive shows as unallocated drive.

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

We regret the inconvenience caused to you. We will assist you with this issue.

Let's try to format the external hard drive from disk management and check if it helps. Follow the steps below:

1. Right click on the Start menu and select Disk management.

2. Right-click on a rectangle that represents unallocated space on a hard drive, and select "New Simple Volume".

Note: that the color code that corresponds to the unallocated space vary in different Windows versions; consult the legend in the bottom of the Disk Management window.

3. Click "Next" and then "Next" again to accept the default size of the new partition.

4. Choose the option "Format the volume (partition) with the default settings" and click "Next."

5. Click "Finish" to create a new partition on the hard drive and format it.

Try the above steps and check if it helps. Let us know the status of the issue. We will be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Sangeeta Sarkar, Feb 14, 2022
  3. Hard disk partitioning

Step 1: Connect the external drive and make sure it is powered on.

Step 2: press Windows key + X then click Disk Management

Step 3: You will see the external drive listed in Disk Managment.

Right click each partition, starting from the extreme right, then click Delete.

You should only see one unallocated drive

After all are deleted, right click it then click Format

This will start a wizard

Choose NTFS for the file system then label it then click Next to begin the format.

Andre Da Costa, Feb 14, 2022
  4. External hard drive partition is missing, and not showing in disk management as unallocated.

remove external hard drive partitions

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft community.

If you are logged in as an administrator, you can repartition your hard disk by using the Shrink feature in Disk Management. You can shrink an existing partition or volume to create unallocated disk space, from which you can create a new partition
    or volume.

You may follow the step below and check if it helps:

• Connect the external hard drive.

• Press Windows Key and click on Disk Management.

• Right-click the volume you want to shrink, and then click
      Shrink Volume.

• Follow the instructions

You may also refer to the steps below and check if it helps:

Open cmd with admin rights

1. Run Diskpart application by typing Diskpart

2. In the “Diskpart” prompt, enter rescan command and press Enter key to re-scan all partitions, volumes and drives available.

3. Then type in list disk and press Enter key to show all hard disk drive available.

4. Select the disk that contains the partition you want to remove. Normally, with just 1 hard disk, it will be disk 0. So the command will be:

select disk 0

5. Finish by Enter key.

6. Type list partition and press Enter key to show all available and created partition in the disk selected.

7. Select the partition that wanted to be deleted by using the following command, followed by Enter key:

select partition x

where x is the number recovery partition to be removed and unlocked its space. Be careful with the number of this partition, as wrong number may get data wipes off.

Finally, type in delete partition override and press Enter key.

Disclaimer: Be sure to back up any data you want to keep before you begin.

Hope this helps to resolve your issue. If the problem persist please revert back to us we are glad to help you.

Anju Thekkethil, Feb 14, 2022
Thema:

External hard drive partition is missing, and not showing in disk management as unallocated.

1. External hard drive partition is missing, and not showing in disk management as unallocated. - Similar Threads - External hard drive

2. Win10 - External hard drive missing from disk management

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win10 - External hard drive missing from disk management: Hello,I have a problem with my external hard drive, WD My passport 2TO.I've been using it for about a year now on windows 10, and I never had a problem with it.Last week, I wanted to format my external HDD and switch to another file system because I couldn't read my disk from...
  3. Win10 - External hard drive missing from disk management

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win10 - External hard drive missing from disk management: Hello,I have a problem with my external hard drive, WD My passport 2TO.I've been using it for about a year now on windows 10, and I never had a problem with it.Last week, I wanted to format my external HDD and switch to another file system because I couldn't read my disk from...
  4. External Hard Drive not showing up in Disk Management and "This PC", not even unallocated..

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Hard Drive not showing up in Disk Management and "This PC", not even unallocated..: Hey, i have been struggling with this issue and it has been aching my head for days on end. My external hard drive 512 gb is recognized by the pc but not showing up in "This PC". I opened Disk Management and it did not pop up, not even unallocated. Zero, it was not there, not...
  5. External Hard Drive not showing up in Disk Management and "This PC", not even unallocated..

External Hard Drive not showing up in Disk Management and "This PC", not even unallocated..: Hey, i have been struggling with this issue and it has been aching my head for days on end. My external hard drive 512 gb is recognized by the pc but not showing up in "This PC". I opened Disk Management and it did not pop up, not even unallocated. Zero, it was not there, not...
  6. External hard drive partition is missing, and not showing in disk management as unallocated.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External hard drive partition is missing, and not showing in disk management as unallocated.: I have an external hard disk drive, with 2 partitions D261 GB, E437GB. Suddenly once the local diskE: is missing in file explorer, the local diskD: drive is still there. When I open disk management it shows only the D drive with 698GB as total space which is the total space...
  7. External hard drive partition is missing, and not showing in disk management as unallocated.

External hard drive partition is missing, and not showing in disk management as unallocated.: I have an external hard disk drive, with 2 partitions D261 GB, E437GB. Suddenly once the local diskE: is missing in file explorer, the local diskD: drive is still there. When I open disk management it shows only the D drive with 698GB as total space which is the total space...
  8. External hard drive shows in partition manager with partitions but not explorer?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    External hard drive shows in partition manager with partitions but not explorer?: [ATTACH] Edit: It was pulled from my mac computer. Im dumb. I'm using Windows 10. My ssd connected with a usb adapter shows in partition manager with partitions but not explorer. Does anyone know why this happens? The partitions look like they are windows partitions...
  9. How to Partition a Win10 Hard Drive when the Disk Management Screen shows no Unallocated...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to Partition a Win10 Hard Drive when the Disk Management Screen shows no Unallocated...: Instructions.... Step 2. Click on Shrink Volume Option After shrinking the volume of your disk, Unallocated dialogue box in Disk Management screen. So, right click on the "Unallocated" box and then proceed to click on "New Simple Volume" box. Thank You! Crazzy8...
  10. External hard drive shown as Primary Partition in Disk Management

in Windows 10 Support
    External hard drive shown as Primary Partition in Disk Management: Just clean install my laptop. After windows successfully installed, as usual i connect to internet, format and give name to D drive in Disk Management. After couple of minutes i plug my external hard drive to copy paste my backup to laptop and everything done, i try to eject...