Windows 10: External hard drive showing as Local Disk G: and cannot access to drive

Discus and support External hard drive showing as Local Disk G: and cannot access to drive in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, after I transferred files to my 4tb Wd elements drive it fails to play them and then turn to Local drive.Now it shows as Local Drive and I cannot... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by BarışCanEM, Mar 11, 2021.

1. External hard drive showing as Local Disk G: and cannot access to drive

Hi, after I transferred files to my 4tb Wd elements drive it fails to play them and then turn to Local drive.Now it shows as Local Drive and I cannot access it by aything.I tried disk managenent and device manager to unistall it it freezes.I tried chkdsk /f /r and it says nothing like it does not proceed with chkdsk.

What should I do to format it ? I cant seem to use it anyway...

:)

BarışCanEM, Mar 11, 2021

2. External hard drive is showing up as local disk drive

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

As you have mentioned that the external hard drive is showing as local disk drive instead of a USB drive, it is because the file format for the external hard drive is same as the internal hard drive and that’s why it is showing
    up as a local disk drive and not a USB drive.

Also, since you are facing issues while changing the drive letter of the drive, for further clarity on the issue and to guide you accordingly, respond to the questions listed below:

1. What is the make and model of the hard drive?
    2. Were you able to save or create a file on the hard drive previously?
    3. What happens when you try to copy and paste the data from the hard drive?
    4. What was the result of check disk performed on the drive?

Since you are receiving the access denied error, I would suggest you to check if the user has appropriate permissions to read/write data on the external hard drive. Refer the article

"Access Denied" or other errors when you access or work with files and folders in Windows
    , refer the section
    I cannot access, change, save, or delete files and folders.

Note:
    The above article applies to Windows 10 also.

Please get back to us with the above information to assist you further with the issue.

We await your response.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, Mar 11, 2021
  3. External hard drive is showing up as local disk drive

Thank you for the response.

I change the letter of the drive trying to fix the error (the problem existed before that
    ). Also my external drive was working as an external drive and changed in sometime by itself ( ? ).

The responses from the questions that you made are:

1. MaxTor M3 Portable 1TB | Model:HX-M101TCB/GRM
    2. I am still able (like before)
      to save and create files and folders inside the disk.The problem that i mention is that i was not able to create the AutoRun.inf file (access denied)
    3. I can copy and paste data from my drive
    4. Disk perform showed no error (but it showed as a Label name:
      "nakos" but in the same time when i open my Computer and see the drives the label is as Local Disk
    The main problem that i have is that my external disk was appeared to my computer and to other computer too as a external disk (with the Label and the icon that i set). Now there is appeared as a Local Disk and ignore whatever
    label name i enter. I have set up all the folders, sub-folders and HTML projects to work in this disk with the label that was there before and not as a Local Disk, that's why is important to me to return him in the format like before.

Thanks again

NakosKotsanis91, Mar 11, 2021
  4. External hard drive showing as Local Disk G: and cannot access to drive

external hard drive

Hi Chrpee,

If you can't find external hard drive on Disk management than the next step is using the diskpart via command line, please follow the steps below:-

On the keyboard hit ((Windows logo key + R key)) than type ((CMD))

Now the windows command line will appear, the next steps is to type ((diskpart))

After that type ((list disk)) to show you the list of hard disks with partitions

If you found your external hard drive one of the list than you need to type ((select disk number)), note: the number is a disk number

Once you selected the hard disk or partitions than type ((clean))

than type ((create partition primary))

than type ((select partition 1))

than type ((active))

than type ((format fs=ntfs quick))

than type ((assign))

last type ((exit))

Check if the external hard drive appeared, if not please see the link below for more info and let me know if you need any assist

https://uk.pcmag.com/dvd-burners/120624/what-to...

Abdirahman Issa, Mar 11, 2021
Thema:

External hard drive showing as Local Disk G: and cannot access to drive

1. External hard drive showing as Local Disk G: and cannot access to drive - Similar Threads - External hard drive

2. external hard drive shows up as 'local disk :D' and won't let me access it

in Windows 10 Gaming
    external hard drive shows up as 'local disk :D' and won't let me access it: So, this has been going for roughly 3 days now, but for some reason, my external hard drive shows up as 'local disk :D' and won't let me access it. Whenever I actually try clicking on the drive on file explorer, the error code is never consistent: sometimes it'll tell me...
  3. external hard drive shows up as 'local disk :D' and won't let me access it

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    external hard drive shows up as 'local disk :D' and won't let me access it: So, this has been going for roughly 3 days now, but for some reason, my external hard drive shows up as 'local disk :D' and won't let me access it. Whenever I actually try clicking on the drive on file explorer, the error code is never consistent: sometimes it'll tell me...
  4. External Hardisk or external Hard Drive Turned To Local Disk And Not Accessible

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External Hardisk or external Hard Drive Turned To Local Disk And Not Accessible: i hope someone can help my problem i have try to change letter but nothing change. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hardisk-or-external-hard-drive-turned-to/e394703e-e313-471d-841f-fa8977cb6884
  5. About accessing the external hard disk drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    About accessing the external hard disk drive: I found a similar problem that has faced by @raymond_962 had but I have completely recovered from that problem. Now I would like to describe that solution to your people so that it will be beneficial for every person who had that problem before. By the way, the solution that...
  6. External Hard Drive Only Reads as "Local Disk"

External Hard Drive Only Reads as "Local Disk": Hello, I was able to fix one of my hard drives with a simple step, hopefully, I can fix another! I have a WD Easystore HDD that has a lot of good graphic design material I can't lose. However, when I plug it in, the File Folder freezes up, and Disk Management hasn't loaded...
  7. External Hard Drive Turned To Local Disk And Not Accessible

External Hard Drive Turned To Local Disk And Not Accessible: Hi, My 4TB External Hard Drive was working well while I transfer files, sorry for my language ı am not native, And I wanted to change the speed because it was low as 35mb/ps and ı read that under policies segment there is another option for "better performance". And After I...
  8. External Hard drive cannot access

External Hard drive cannot access: Hello, I have stored videos and photo on a maxtor back when I used a mac, before i got it stolen. I recently got a Dell laptop and I haven't been able to access any of the data on the hard drive. I tried going through Computer management > disk management but still can't...
  9. External hard drive is showing up as local disk drive

External hard drive is showing up as local disk drive: For some reason it changed from USB Drive to Local Disk. Now i cant use a Label Name (like MyDrive). I try to change the drive Letter and still nothing happen. When i plug the USB Driver to an other computer i see it again as a local driver. If i go to Properties -> Label...
  10. External hard drives saying local disk

External hard drives saying local disk: Hello. I brought a 4 bay external harddrive enclosure and have it hooked up to my laptop ( I will get a computer one day) The issue I have is this. Bay 2 3 and 4 no issues. I have 5 external harddrives. 2 x 2tb 2 x 1 tb a nd 1x 4tb 4 of these drives I wish to keep...