Windows 10: External hard drive shows in partition manager with partitions but not explorer?

Discus and support External hard drive shows in partition manager with partitions but not explorer? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; [ATTACH] Edit: It was pulled from my mac computer. Im dumb. I'm using Windows 10. My ssd connected with a usb adapter shows in partition manager... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/trogfield, Aug 30, 2020.

1. External hard drive shows in partition manager with partitions but not explorer?

External hard drive shows in partition manager with partitions but not explorer? T4qyVhZ0cDlLUCU8gw9U-5Ex2bHkR2ZG5_wrwAlnthc.jpg

Edit: It was pulled from my mac computer. Im dumb.

I'm using Windows 10. My ssd connected with a usb adapter shows in partition manager with partitions but not explorer.

Does anyone know why this happens?

The partitions look like they are windows partitions and not encrypted. I am confused. There is no drive letter assigned, and it doesn't read on multiple computers.

Please help

https://preview.redd.it/g1pa7usxi4k...bp&s=dc21edfab4e0881c097ea518b9bdfa866ea9a2af

submitted by /u/trogfield
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/trogfield, Aug 30, 2020
  2. W1zzard Win User

W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Aug 30, 2020
  3. remove external hard drive partitions

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft community.

If you are logged in as an administrator, you can repartition your hard disk by using the Shrink feature in Disk Management. You can shrink an existing partition or volume to create unallocated disk space, from which you can create a new partition
    or volume.

You may follow the step below and check if it helps:

• Connect the external hard drive.

• Press Windows Key and click on Disk Management.

• Right-click the volume you want to shrink, and then click
      Shrink Volume.

• Follow the instructions

You may also refer to the steps below and check if it helps:

Open cmd with admin rights

1. Run Diskpart application by typing Diskpart

2. In the “Diskpart” prompt, enter rescan command and press Enter key to re-scan all partitions, volumes and drives available.

3. Then type in list disk and press Enter key to show all hard disk drive available.

4. Select the disk that contains the partition you want to remove. Normally, with just 1 hard disk, it will be disk 0. So the command will be:

select disk 0

5. Finish by Enter key.

6. Type list partition and press Enter key to show all available and created partition in the disk selected.

7. Select the partition that wanted to be deleted by using the following command, followed by Enter key:

select partition x

where x is the number recovery partition to be removed and unlocked its space. Be careful with the number of this partition, as wrong number may get data wipes off.

Finally, type in delete partition override and press Enter key.

Disclaimer: Be sure to back up any data you want to keep before you begin.

Hope this helps to resolve your issue. If the problem persist please revert back to us we are glad to help you.

Anju Thekkethil, Aug 30, 2020
  4. Pavan_N Win User

External hard drive shows in partition manager with partitions but not explorer?

PARTITIONING AN EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE

Hi,

Here are the steps:

• Log on to your Windows 10 PC with an administrator account. (The process of creating partitions requires administrative privileges on the computer.)
    • Once logged on, click the File Explorer icon from the taskbar.
    • From the left pane (navigation pane) of the opened File Explorer window, right-click
      This PC.
    • From the context menu, click Manage.
    • On the opened Computer Management snap-in, from the left pane, click to select
      Disk Management from under the Storage category.
    • From the right pane, right-click the unallocated area of the hard disk drive in which you want to make partitions.

Note: If you have assigned the entirety of the hard drive’s space to the C: drive at the time of installing Windows 10, there will be no unallocated space left in the hard disk drive. If this happens and you still want to create a new partition,
      you must shrink the C: drive by right-clicking it, selecting the Shrink Volume option, and following the on-screen instructions to free up some space and to get the unallocated area.
    • From the context menu, click Create Simple Volume.
    • On the welcome page of the New Simple Volume Wizard box, click
      Next.
    • On the Specify Volume Size page, in the available Simple volume size in MB field, specify the amount of space you want to assign to this new partition. (Make sure to specify the space in megabytes, i.e. 10240 MB for 10 GB. 1 GB
      = 1024 MB.)
    • Click Next to continue.
    • On the Assign Drive Letter or Path page, leave everything as it is for simplicity, and click
      Next. (If you are an advanced user, you can choose a drive letter of your choice from the available
      Assign the following drive letter drop-down list.)
    • On the Format Partition page, choose the settings of your preference. (If you are unsure what to choose, leave the default settings intact.)
    • Click Next to proceed.
    • On the Completing the New Simple Volume Wizard page, click
      Finish to create a new partition in the hard disk drive.
    • Once the partition is created, you can start using it normally.
    • Note: Windows 10 may prompt you to format the new partition after it has been created.
    Hope this helps. Thank you.

Pavan_N, Aug 30, 2020
Thema:

External hard drive shows in partition manager with partitions but not explorer?

1. External hard drive shows in partition manager with partitions but not explorer? - Similar Threads - External hard drive

2. USB hard drive shows up in device manager and partition manager but not file explorer.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB hard drive shows up in device manager and partition manager but not file explorer.: I have a 2tb USB hard drive which is full of data that I cannot access any more. The device does not show up in file explorer but I can see it in the disk format tool, there is no drive letter assigned to it. Right clicking on the main partition and trying to assign a drive...
  3. USB hard drive shows up in device manager and partition manager but not file explorer.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB hard drive shows up in device manager and partition manager but not file explorer.: I have a 2tb USB hard drive which is full of data that I cannot access any more. The device does not show up in file explorer but I can see it in the disk format tool, there is no drive letter assigned to it. Right clicking on the main partition and trying to assign a drive...
  4. USB hard drive shows up in device manager and partition manager but not file explorer.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. External hard drive partition is missing, and not showing in disk management as unallocated.

External hard drive partition is missing, and not showing in disk management as unallocated.: I have an external hard disk drive, with 2 partitions D261 GB, E437GB. Suddenly once the local diskE: is missing in file explorer, the local diskD: drive is still there. When I open disk management it shows only the D drive with 698GB as total space which is the total space...
  6. External hard drive partition is missing, and not showing in disk management as unallocated.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External hard drive partition is missing, and not showing in disk management as unallocated.: I have an external hard disk drive, with 2 partitions D261 GB, E437GB. Suddenly once the local diskE: is missing in file explorer, the local diskD: drive is still there. When I open disk management it shows only the D drive with 698GB as total space which is the total space...
  7. External hard drive partition is missing, and not showing in disk management as unallocated.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. hard drive partition not showing up in file explorer!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    hard drive partition not showing up in file explorer!: i installed windows 10 from a usb flash drive and when i was asked where to install windows 10, i selected my ssd and i also deleted a hard drive partition by mistake. it was of 198 gb. now it is not showing in file explorer. i also assigned a new letter to it, it did show...
  9. Removing partitions on External Hard Drive

Removing partitions on External Hard Drive: I want to use the HDD from my old laptop as External drive. After formatting former “C:” partition and “Recovery” partitions separately, in the Disk Management I see: Disk 1 Basic 931.50GB Online 260MB Healthy EFI System Partition New Volume E: 919.48 GB NTFS...
  10. Removing partitions on external hard drives?

Removing partitions on external hard drives?: I have several laptop hard drives that I access on my desktop PC via a usb hub, I have managed to format them and they work perfectly. My problem is that 2 of these hard drives have 2 partitions which I have also formatted, but the partitions show up as separate drives in...