Windows 10: external hard drive spins up randomly. How to find trigger?

Discus and support external hard drive spins up randomly. How to find trigger? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; i want to find out what triggers my external hard drives to spin up at random times. Is there a tool to find out what triggers this? I have defrag... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by link626, Feb 3, 2021.

1. link626 Win User

external hard drive spins up randomly. How to find trigger?

i want to find out what triggers my external hard drives to spin up at random times.

Is there a tool to find out what triggers this?

I have defrag turned off for these external drives, so it's not that.

what else in win10 is known to randomly spin up external hard drives?

:)

link626, Feb 3, 2021
  2. Remon Ont Win User

External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, Feb 3, 2021
  3. twynog Win User
    External hard drive not recognised

Thanks for this. I've done what you suggested and been through all the steps mentioned in the article. The hard drive works fine on a Mac computer, and I've managed to copy the information on it. It must be a Surface issue so I'll try to get a chat line tomorrow.

twynog, Feb 3, 2021
  4. external hard drive spins up randomly. How to find trigger?

External Hard Drive

To address your concern, here are the troubleshooting steps that you can try. Follow the steps below:

Uninstall and reinstall the external hard drive program.

• In the Settings app, go to System.
    • Go to Apps & features and locate the external hard drive program.
    • Uninstall the program and go to the manufacturer's website to reinstall the updated version.
    Uninstall and reinstall the Paragon driver software.

• Following the same steps mentioned above, locate the software in Apps & features
      and uninstall it.
    • After uninstalling the software, go to the manufacturer's website to reinstall it.
    To further isolate your concern, we'd also like to verify if the OneDrive app is enabled on your PC.

You can hit us back for additional help.

Kind regards.

Jennifer Cha, Feb 3, 2021
Thema:

external hard drive spins up randomly. How to find trigger?

1. external hard drive spins up randomly. How to find trigger? - Similar Threads - external hard drive

2. How to find "PHOTOS" in external hard drive.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to find "PHOTOS" in external hard drive.: My old Acer Desktop with Windows 10 died peacefully. I removed the hard drive from it and have a hard drive dock. When I plug in the dock, I see the following see image below. My question is where are my photos? How can I find them? I want to transfer them to my new computer....
  3. Back Up cannot find external hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Back Up cannot find external hard drive: Hi,I'm trying to do a complete back up of my computer on an external drive using Backup on Windows 10.I've tried 5 different external drives and so far only one an SSD drive can be found while the other 4 not SSD are not found.I don't know if the fact that the only drive that...
  4. external hard drive spins up randomly. How to find trigger?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    external hard drive spins up randomly. How to find trigger?: i want to find out what triggers my external hard drives to spin up at random times. Is there a tool to find out what triggers this? I have defrag turned off for these external drives, so it's not that. what else in win10 is known to randomly spin up external hard drives?...
  5. External hard drive disconnecting randomly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External hard drive disconnecting randomly: I resently bought a seagate expansion plus 4t external hard drive with the intention to download games on it and play them from there. The problem is that if I leave it going to download a game it will after a while disconnect and then reconnect leaving me with a disc write...
  6. CD Drive Randomly Spins Up On Laptop

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    CD Drive Randomly Spins Up On Laptop: Hello there Microsoft community, I has wandering if you can help me. I have a laptop and the CD drive keeps spinning up randomly, for no reason. I checked the lens for any dust and other things, checked to see if my antivirus is scanning it and the "Turn off hard disk"...
  7. External hard drive ejected but still spinning and moving heads

External hard drive ejected but still spinning and moving heads: I've got a 3.5" drive in a caddy that I use for backups. Up until a couple of weeks ago I could eject it in Windows and it would almost immediately spin down. Now, however, it's started behaving oddly. When I eject it, after Windows has confirmed it's OK to turn it off, the...
  8. external hard drive not showing up

external hard drive not showing up: it's not showing up at all. not in windows explorer, not in the device manager, not in disk management, it's as if i didn't even put it in. it's always worked perfectly fine on my laptop (which is what i'm using now) and i used it on my computer (windows 7) just several...
  9. Backing up to a external hard drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backing up to a external hard drive: After reading about ransomware etc. it got me wondering about backing up my information to an external hard drive. It would serve double duty in the event of a drive failure or the unlikely event of ransom ware. I've never used an external drive for backup so I have a few...
  10. How to spin down some hard drives

How to spin down some hard drives: I have 1 SSD and 4 HDD, out of that I'm mainly using my SSD and 1 HDD, the rest are just making noise. How can I spin only those 3 down, without having to reset my PC each time I want to use them (device manager method) or spinning down the 4th one (power settings method)?...