Windows 10: External hard drive stopped working on all computers

Discus and support External hard drive stopped working on all computers in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, Tonight, my external hard drive stopped working on both my laptop and PC, so I'm wondering if there's anything i can do to get it working again,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by nickouk68, Mar 9, 2019.

1. nickouk68 Win User

External hard drive stopped working on all computers

Hi,

Tonight, my external hard drive stopped working on both my laptop and PC, so I'm wondering if there's anything i can do to get it working again, or at least recover the files on it?

It makes the usual beep beep beep noise when putting it in (and a humming noise as if it's working) but suddenly has started coming up with a message that says "USB device not recognised" when inserted (also, the light on the caddy no longer comes on, and a "device descriptor request failed" message is displayed on Device Manager).

I have uninstalled the drivers (on the laptop) relating to the specific USB, and then restarted the computer, but it seems to be a hardware issue. I have ordered a new USB to USB cable, just in case, but is there anything else I can do to try to get it working or, at least, recover the data on the hard drive? Or other tests I can do to ascertain the problem?

Thanks

:)

nickouk68, Mar 9, 2019
  2. twynog Win User

External hard drive not recognised

Thanks for this. I've done what you suggested and been through all the steps mentioned in the article. The hard drive works fine on a Mac computer, and I've managed to copy the information on it. It must be a Surface issue so I'll try to get a chat line tomorrow.

twynog, Mar 9, 2019
  3. Remon Ont Win User
    External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, Mar 9, 2019
  4. External hard drive stopped working on all computers

Help with external hard drive

Hi Debbra,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

I appreciate your interest in windows 10 and also for trying the troubleshooting steps to fix the issue. I understand the inconvenience you faced. I will certainly help you with this.

I would suggest you to plug in hard drive then check in disk management you can see the drive or not.

Follow the steps to check Drive in Disk Management.

• Go to the Control Panel then click on the
      Administrative Tools. .

• Under the Administrative Tool Click on Computer Management.

• Click on Disk Management and check the External Hard Drive.

Also check in BIOS whether External Hard Drive is listed or not.

For help with the BIOS settings, refer to the computer manual or contact the manufacturer.

If it doesn’t work then, I would suggest you to update BIOS for updating BIOS contact Lenovo Support.

Follow the link:

Home - Global Support - FR

Disclaimer :

Modifying BIOS/complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings
    can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Thanks.

Preeti Patel, Mar 9, 2019
Thema:

External hard drive stopped working on all computers

1. External hard drive stopped working on all computers - Similar Threads - External hard drive

2. External hard drive stopped working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External hard drive stopped working: My daughter uploaded pictures from several friends memory cards onto her Maxone Slimseries external hard drive. It has stopped appearing on file explorer and does not appear under disk management. She does not want to lose all her data. Any ideas?...
  3. External hard drive stopped working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External hard drive stopped working: My daughter uploaded pictures from several friends memory cards onto her Maxone Slimseries external hard drive. It has stopped appearing on file explorer and does not appear under disk management. She does not want to lose all her data. Any ideas?...
  4. External hard drive stopped working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. External Hard Drive Stops

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Hard Drive Stops: All USB ports of the laptop stops the External Hard Drive, even connected to any port it's the same. The delay before it stops is about 30 seconds.How to extend the delay before shutdown, or disable automatic shutdown ?...
  6. External Hard Drive Stops

External Hard Drive Stops: All USB ports of the laptop stops the External Hard Drive, even connected to any port it's the same. The delay before it stops is about 30 seconds.How to extend the delay before shutdown, or disable automatic shutdown ?...
  7. External Hard Drive Stops

8. external hard drive not working

external hard drive not working: I have a 5TB seagate external hard drive, I damaged the pcb usb port and got a replacement and everything works just fine. I'm trying to set up my external storage drive. I plugged it in, noise comes on that it is plugged into the computer, the enclosure power light is on and...
  9. external hard drive not working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    external hard drive not working: my external hard drive is not working and idk how to fix it, it is detected it just doesn't do anything... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hard-drive-not-working/65f9db49-d585-48c4-b39c-5f14565207ca
  10. External Hard Drive stopped working

External Hard Drive stopped working: I have windows 10 and my external hard drive suddenly stopped appearing on My Computer. It does appear on the device manager. I tried to update the drivers and uninstall the Drive and nothing works....