Windows 10: External Hard Drive Turned To Local Disk And Not Accessible

Discus and support External Hard Drive Turned To Local Disk And Not Accessible in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, My 4TB External Hard Drive was working well while I transfer files, sorry for my language ı am not native, And I wanted to change the speed because... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by BarışCanEM, Feb 25, 2020.

1. External Hard Drive Turned To Local Disk And Not Accessible

Hi, My 4TB External Hard Drive was working well while I transfer files, sorry for my language ı am not native, And I wanted to change the speed because it was low as 35mb/ps and ı read that under policies segment there is another option for "better performance". And After I changed my setting From Quick Removal To Better Performance to boost the speed of transfer rate, the pc rebooted and Wd Elements Turned To "Local Disk F":.

I tried to access Disk Management And after I wait several seconds the HDD was showing up there but inaccessible.The File type was RAW.

I tried CMD to use "chkdsk" but the letter was not responding.And I applied D:\>chkdsk A: /f /x /r and it started the process and Identify the File System as NTFS.I thought it will work fine and repair it.But After I wait 15 hours ıt was in Stage 2 %85 and somehow it got disconneted by touch mistakenly.

Now I started it Again with D:\>chkdsk A: /f only.Should I wait for it complete CHKDSK or Format The disk ? If so How... Help Please

:)

BarışCanEM, Feb 25, 2020

2. External hard drive is showing up as local disk drive

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

As you have mentioned that the external hard drive is showing as local disk drive instead of a USB drive, it is because the file format for the external hard drive is same as the internal hard drive and that’s why it is showing
    up as a local disk drive and not a USB drive.

Also, since you are facing issues while changing the drive letter of the drive, for further clarity on the issue and to guide you accordingly, respond to the questions listed below:

1. What is the make and model of the hard drive?
    2. Were you able to save or create a file on the hard drive previously?
    3. What happens when you try to copy and paste the data from the hard drive?
    4. What was the result of check disk performed on the drive?

Since you are receiving the access denied error, I would suggest you to check if the user has appropriate permissions to read/write data on the external hard drive. Refer the article

"Access Denied" or other errors when you access or work with files and folders in Windows
    , refer the section
    I cannot access, change, save, or delete files and folders.

Note:
    The above article applies to Windows 10 also.

Please get back to us with the above information to assist you further with the issue.

We await your response.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, Feb 25, 2020
  3. external hard drive connects as local disk

The hard drive(s) check out perfectly, including using the troubleshooting methods you cite. I can repeatedly remove, reconnect, read/write/delete/restore files to these drives, yet ... they appear as "local disks" and can not be changed otherwise. As
    I mentioned, this is a problem for software that requires an "external disk" device for certain processes.

This morning, I checked several other similar portable external hard drives mounted on numerous computers at my work place and found "local disk" to be the case for every system that utilizes Win7, Win8, or Win10 as the OS (maybe WinXP, but I didn't have that
    OS to look at). Google searches for this topic allowed me to discover that Microsoft has made this "local disk" bit configuration in the external drive hardware a requirement for Microsoft certification. Is this true?

Thanks for your assistance.

Bradford Seabourn, Feb 25, 2020
  4. External Hard Drive Turned To Local Disk And Not Accessible

No access to external hard disks after last window 10 update

hello Petra

Method 1:

Check whether the external hard disk is detected in Device Manager, right click on it and click on Uninstall the drivers. Plug in the external hard drive again so that Windows automatically installs the drivers. Check if the issue persists.

If the issue persists, go to the External hard drive in Windows Explorer, right click on it and select Properties. Click on the Security tab and then click on Edit and click on Add and type Everyone and press enter. Select Everyone from the list and place a
    check mark in Full control. Press apply and ok and check if you are able to access the External hard drive.

Method 2:

If you are still unable to access your hard drive, I suggest you to refer to the steps mentioned in the following link and try to take the ownership and check:

"Access Denied" or other errors when accessing or working with files and folders in Windows

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2623670/en-us

Pedro Bruguera, Feb 25, 2020
Thema:

External Hard Drive Turned To Local Disk And Not Accessible

1. External Hard Drive Turned To Local Disk And Not Accessible - Similar Threads - External Hard Drive

2. External Hardisk or external Hard Drive Turned To Local Disk And Not Accessible

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External Hardisk or external Hard Drive Turned To Local Disk And Not Accessible: i hope someone can help my problem i have try to change letter but nothing change. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hardisk-or-external-hard-drive-turned-to/e394703e-e313-471d-841f-fa8977cb6884
  3. External hard drive showing as Local Disk G: and cannot access to drive

External hard drive showing as Local Disk G: and cannot access to drive: Hi, after I transferred files to my 4tb Wd elements drive it fails to play them and then turn to Local drive.Now it shows as Local Drive and I cannot access it by aything.I tried disk managenent and device manager to unistall it it freezes.I tried chkdsk /f /r and it says...
  4. About accessing the external hard disk drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    About accessing the external hard disk drive: I found a similar problem that has faced by @raymond_962 had but I have completely recovered from that problem. Now I would like to describe that solution to your people so that it will be beneficial for every person who had that problem before. By the way, the solution that...
  5. External Hard Drive Only Reads as "Local Disk"

External Hard Drive Only Reads as "Local Disk": Hello, I was able to fix one of my hard drives with a simple step, hopefully, I can fix another! I have a WD Easystore HDD that has a lot of good graphic design material I can't lose. However, when I plug it in, the File Folder freezes up, and Disk Management hasn't loaded...
  6. External Hard Drive No Access

External Hard Drive No Access: My external Seagate Backup Plus Drive shows up as E:\ when I plug it in but is not able to be accessed. I could see under right click properties that it was an NTFS drive and the name but zero for used, free, and capacity. I could get in from the command prompt and got one...
  7. External Hard drive disk

External Hard drive disk: Shown as access denied. Location unavailable[IMG] Cannot open my Seagate external HARD drive disk of 1.5TB https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hard-drive-disk/d12073f2-eb0d-4add-bfb1-2f9e4cff21de
  8. External hard drive is showing up as local disk drive

External hard drive is showing up as local disk drive: For some reason it changed from USB Drive to Local Disk. Now i cant use a Label Name (like MyDrive). I try to change the drive Letter and still nothing happen. When i plug the USB Driver to an other computer i see it again as a local driver. If i go to Properties -> Label...
  9. External Hard drive not accessible

External Hard drive not accessible: My external hard drive was unplugged accidently. When i plugged it back into the computer, it recogonized a previous error with it and was in the process of fixing those errors automatically when it was accidentally unplugged again. Now when i plug in my external drive the...
  10. External hard drives saying local disk

External hard drives saying local disk: Hello. I brought a 4 bay external harddrive enclosure and have it hooked up to my laptop ( I will get a computer one day) The issue I have is this. Bay 2 3 and 4 no issues. I have 5 external harddrives. 2 x 2tb 2 x 1 tb a nd 1x 4tb 4 of these drives I wish to keep...