Windows 10: External Hard Drive (WD Elements) is visible in PW but not in explorer

Discus and support External Hard Drive (WD Elements) is visible in PW but not in explorer in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; My WD Element HDD is not working after I plug it in to my WDTV unit. I tried to recover my files using PW but I'm unable recover it can anyone please... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by cobrasl, Apr 18, 2017.

1. cobrasl Win User

External Hard Drive (WD Elements) is visible in PW but not in explorer

My WD Element HDD is not working after I plug it in to my WDTV unit. I tried to recover my files using PW but I'm unable recover it can anyone please help me..

How it shows in Explorer

External Hard Drive (WD Elements) is visible in PW but not in explorer [​IMG]

but it does not appear in Disk Management

HDD is visible in PW

:)

cobrasl, Apr 18, 2017
  2. Liezl Fal Win User

External Hard Drive not Visible in Explorer but Visible Everywhere Else

To add clarity to what we have mentioned above, it is best that you contact the support team of Bootcamp so they can give you the right configurations that will enable your Seagate hard drive to be detected on your Bootcamp loaded on Mac OS machine.

If you have further questions, please don't hesitate to get back to us.

Regards.

Liezl Fal, Apr 18, 2017
  3. KarlHealy Win User
    External Hard Drive not Visible in Explorer but Visible Everywhere Else

Quite possibly the most vague and useless reply ever.

KarlHealy, Apr 18, 2017
  4. jumanji Win User

Hi cobrasl,

Welcome to Ten Forums.

I have read about many people experiencing similar problems when they connected their HDD to WDTV. My quick search was unable to find any tangible solution to restore the HDD itself without resorting to a data recovery process.

I would still wait to see if anyone else comes up with solution.

Since you have attempted data recovery, I would say that you will not be able to recover the data with Partition Wizard though it shows that all your data is still there. You will have to use TestDisk to recover the data and copy it to another drive.

Preparation for Data recovery:

1. Download TestDisk for Windows from here TestDisk Download - CGSecurity ( The second in the list.)( Do not download " Windows 64 bit" - that is not for you) Extract the testdisk-7.0.win.zip to the root of your system drive C:. You will run testdisk_win.exe in the extracted testdisk-7.0 folder.
    2. On another external drive to which you want to copy the data create a folder named Recovery. This will be your Destination drive and Destination folder to copy the files.

Recovery Process: To be continued after a break

Caution: Do not try to use TestDisk on your own. Wait for specific instructions that will follow.

jumanji, Apr 18, 2017
  5. cobrasl Win User
    Thank you Jumanji.. I will try this and I'm waiting for ur solution.. *Biggrin *Biggrin

cobrasl, Apr 18, 2017
  6. cobrasl Win User
    Hi...

This is what I got when I run the app..

cobrasl, Apr 18, 2017
  7. jumanji Win User
    Continued:

Plug in your 1TB WD Elements drive from which you want to recover the data.

Plug in your Destination drive with Recovery folder in it.

Run testdisk_win.exe ( You will navigate in the TestDisk Window to select/highlight using the Up/Down and Left/Right Arrow Keys. At anytime you can close TestDisk by clicking on the X in the top Title bar.)

Follow the process outlined in my post #6 here https://www.sevenforums.com/hardware...ml#post3301749

First Screen: As instructed. No change

Second screen: Should show your 500GB System disk, 1TB WD Elements Disk and your Destination Disk followed by the drives. Select/highlight your 1TB WD Elements Disk. (Please take a screenshot and post for me to see what shows up) Proceed is already highlighted. Press ENTER

Third Screen: As instructed therein

Fourth Screen: As instructed therein

Fifth Screen: Does it show your single partition in the disk? What is highlighted? If
    • is not highlighted, move the highlight to

jumanji, Apr 18, 2017
  8. jumanji Win User

I continued without seeing your posts. You downloaded the beta version. Delete that folder. Please download the non-beta Windows version.

jumanji, Apr 18, 2017
  9. jumanji Win User
    I am off to bed now. Hope you will be able to manage the recovery with the inputs given. I shall return only tom morning that is after another 8 to 10 hours depending upon when I get up. *chuckle

jumanji, Apr 18, 2017
  10. cobrasl Win User
    Thank you Jumanji... I will update you regarding the status..give me little time..

cobrasl, Apr 19, 2017
  11. cobrasl Win User
    In TestDesk I'm getting following message..

cobrasl, Apr 19, 2017
  12. cobrasl Win User
    Furthermore, to get following options I have to unplug WD Elements HDD

or else it's just display Please wait...

cobrasl, Apr 19, 2017
  13. jumanji Win User

Your posts are confusing, In post #9, I could see your 1TB elements drive mentioned. Only message was No partition found.

In the next post you say that you had to remove the 1TB elements drive to get that screen. There is something amiss here.

Please do this.

Shut down your PC. Remove all external drives.

Reboot your PC. When Windows settles down, plug in your 1TB elements drive. Then plug in your Destination drive.

( Follow the instructions verbatim. Do not do anything else like opening My Computer, Windows Disk Management or Partition Wizard. TestDisk should be the only program to access the disks.)

Run TestDisk. First Screen No Log Enter.

Wait for TestDisk to find the disks. Post the screenshot of the second screen. I am online and we shal continue step by step.

In case I am absent or you are asleep, post the screenshot and then close TestDisk. We shall continue later, Is the local time shown correct? Are you in USA?

jumanji, Apr 19, 2017
  14. cobrasl Win User
    Sorry for confusing.. its like this.. When i plug the WD HDD and start the TestDisk app it just stays in the state "please wait.." when I unplug the WD HDD immediately TestDisk shows all the drives connected to the PC.. Then I plug the WD HDD again to PC and run the steps you advised me..

Furthermore, when I plug my WD HDD to PC and check task manager Disk Performance of WD Element is 100%

I'm from Sri Lanka.. So I guess we both in same time zone. *Smile

cobrasl, Apr 19, 2017
  15. cobrasl Win User
    followed steps..

the partition displayed as below...

as advised I selected "list".. and for a long time it was like this..

cobrasl, Apr 19, 2017
Thema:

1. External Hard Drive (WD Elements) is visible in PW but not in explorer - Similar Threads - External Hard Drive

2. External hard drive WD Elements 2TB suddenly filled up and showed NTFS label

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External hard drive WD Elements 2TB suddenly filled up and showed NTFS label: I am using my External hard drive WD Elements 2TB for 3-4 years now, and yesterday I connected it to my laptop and it suddenly seems to be totally filled up and its file system label changed to NTFS. I cannot copy any new data into the drive and even if I cancel something the...
  3. External Hard Disk WD Elements Not Working /Unknown - Not Initialized/

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External Hard Disk WD Elements Not Working /Unknown - Not Initialized/: Hello,My Laptop is not showing the drive for External Hard Disk WD Elements in "My PC". I only show the existing Drives C and D system partitioned ones. But the Hard Disk is identified by "Devices and Printers" under Elements 10B8 - When I click on Properties and then...
  4. External Hard Disk WD Elements Not Working /Unknown - Not Initialized/

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External Hard Disk WD Elements Not Working /Unknown - Not Initialized/: Hello,My Laptop is not showing the drive for External Hard Disk WD Elements in "My PC". I only show the existing Drives C and D system partitioned ones. But the Hard Disk is identified by "Devices and Printers" under Elements 10B8 - When I click on Properties and then...
  5. External Hard Disk WD Elements Not Working /Unknown - Not Initialized/

in Windows 10 Gaming
  6. external hard drive in WD elements 25A2 is not working after opening the create pool option...

external hard drive in WD elements 25A2 is not working after opening the create pool option...: I was interested to see how much space I had on my drive. 1. Clicked storage 2. Clicked manager storage space 3. It took me to location control panel>system and security> storage spaces 4. The instructions stated: “Use storage spaces to save files to two or more devices...
  7. external hard drive not visible

in Windows 10 Customization
    external hard drive not visible: I have acquired a disk caddy with the intention of using an old hard drive as a back-up drive but have found that although the arrangement works perfectly in my laptop it is totally invisible in my desktop. There is no ping when switched on and does not appear in device...
  8. WD My Passport external hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    WD My Passport external hard drive: I am CONSTANTLY prompted to Re-Connect my Backup harddrive bc some files did not backup. I try to look at files but cant open and the files are tiny. SHOULD I BE WORRIED ABOUT TROJAN FILES ? Are they old orphan files from some uninstalled app. I KNOW, a list of files and...
  9. WD Elements

WD Elements: I have a WD Elements but have no idea whether it is a 500mb,1TB, 2TB or what ever. How do I find out please? 117424
  10. External hard drive not visible

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External hard drive not visible: Hi all, I have a 3TB external hard drive plugged in to my pc. I use it to stream movies and music to a couple of media players in the house via our wifi network. Recently it has disappeared from my view on the pc. When I plug it in via usb, nothing happens, yet when I plug...