Windows 10: External hard drive while computer hibernated

Discus and support External hard drive while computer hibernated in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Must USB Hard Drives remain connected to the computer when it hibernates? If they can be disconnected must they be reconnected before the computer is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by JohnFGies, Jan 14, 2022.

1. JohnFGies Win User

External hard drive while computer hibernated

Must USB Hard Drives remain connected to the computer when it hibernates? If they can be disconnected must they be reconnected before the computer is awakened?

:)

JohnFGies, Jan 14, 2022
  2. Remon Ont Win User

External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, Jan 15, 2022
  3. Help with external hard drive

Hi Debbra,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

I appreciate your interest in windows 10 and also for trying the troubleshooting steps to fix the issue. I understand the inconvenience you faced. I will certainly help you with this.

I would suggest you to plug in hard drive then check in disk management you can see the drive or not.

Follow the steps to check Drive in Disk Management.

• Go to the Control Panel then click on the
      Administrative Tools. .

• Under the Administrative Tool Click on Computer Management.

• Click on Disk Management and check the External Hard Drive.

Also check in BIOS whether External Hard Drive is listed or not.

For help with the BIOS settings, refer to the computer manual or contact the manufacturer.

If it doesn’t work then, I would suggest you to update BIOS for updating BIOS contact Lenovo Support.

Follow the link:

Lenovo Support – Drivers, Updates, How-To Guides, Technical Help and more - Lenovo Support IN

Disclaimer :

Modifying BIOS/complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings
    can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Thanks.

Preeti Patel, Jan 15, 2022
  4. twynog Win User

External hard drive not recognised

Thanks for this. I've done what you suggested and been through all the steps mentioned in the article. The hard drive works fine on a Mac computer, and I've managed to copy the information on it. It must be a Surface issue so I'll try to get a chat line tomorrow.

twynog, Jan 15, 2022
Thema:

1. External hard drive while computer hibernated - Similar Threads - External hard drive

2. How can I reformat a external hard drive while on a school computer.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How can I reformat a external hard drive while on a school computer.: For some context my home computer had broke in a new update 22H2. So I had to rely on my school laptop for everything, including reformatting a external hard drive to fix my old computer. I had tired everything I could read but to avail. So this is my last option. The only...
  3. How can I reformat a external hard drive while on a school computer.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I reformat a external hard drive while on a school computer.: For some context my home computer had broke in a new update 22H2. So I had to rely on my school laptop for everything, including reformatting a external hard drive to fix my old computer. I had tired everything I could read but to avail. So this is my last option. The only...
  4. External Hard drive freezes computer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External Hard drive freezes computer: Hi, I have this external hard drive that freezes my computer every time I plug it in. Iv had it for about 3 weeks now and would really like to not have to buy a another one. I dont mine if I have to lose data on it to get it back, I have tried to look up how to fix it but...
  5. External Hard drive freezes computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Hard drive freezes computer: Hi, I have this external hard drive that freezes my computer every time I plug it in. Iv had it for about 3 weeks now and would really like to not have to buy a another one. I dont mine if I have to lose data on it to get it back, I have tried to look up how to fix it but...
  6. External Hard drive freezes computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. External hard drive while computer hibernated

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External hard drive while computer hibernated: Must USB Hard Drives remain connected to the computer when it hibernates? If they can be disconnected must they be reconnected before the computer is awakened?...
  8. External hard drive while computer hibernated

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External hard drive while computer hibernated: Must USB Hard Drives remain connected to the computer when it hibernates? If they can be disconnected must they be reconnected before the computer is awakened?...
  9. Access to hard drive external to computer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Access to hard drive external to computer: I recently bought a new desktop computer and loaded my data on to it from backups. I had a problem and wanted to access the hard drive from the old computer, so I installed it in a hard drive enclosure and plugged it into the new computer. However I cannot access the data on...
  10. BSOD while torrenting to external hard drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    BSOD while torrenting to external hard drive: Hello, title says it all. Basically I was torrenting a large file to an external hard drive. For many hours, it worked fine, and while I was using the laptop, it was just for listening to music. It was the only torrent I was downloading during the time and I wasnt seeding...