Windows 10: external hard drive. Why won't file manager see it.

Discus and support external hard drive. Why won't file manager see it. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I want to see what,s in my hard drive but when I power the external drive on no G: is shown in the file manager.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by patstoy, Jun 14, 2020.

1. patstoy Win User

external hard drive. Why won't file manager see it.

I want to see what,s in my hard drive but when I power the external drive on no G: is shown in the file manager.

:)

patstoy, Jun 14, 2020
  2. Remon Ont Win User

External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, Jun 14, 2020
  3. Marco Gav Win User
    unrecognised external hard drive on Windows 10

Since you already reinstalled the drivers of the External Hard Drive, let's run the
    Hardware and Devices troubleshooter as it can resolve your concern. You can do that by following these steps:

• Press the Start button.

• Type and select Troubleshooting.

• Click on View all on the left panel.

• Select and run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter.

If the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter doesn’t resolve your concern, we suggest that you change the letter of the External Hard Drive. You can do that by following these steps:

• Press the Start button.

• Type and select Control panel.

• Select System and Security.

• Select Administrative Tools, and a new window will appear.

• Double-click Computer Management, and a new window will appear.

• Select Disk Management that is located under
      Storage
      in the left pane.

• Right click on the External Hard Drive that is not showing on the File Explorer.

• Select Change letter and network path, and a new window will appear.

• Select Change, and choose the letter that you want for the External Hard Drive.

After changing the letter of the External Hard Drive, we suggest that you reboot your laptop for the changes to take effect.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Marco Gav, Jun 14, 2020
  4. twynog Win User

External hard drive not recognised

Thanks for this. I've done what you suggested and been through all the steps mentioned in the article. The hard drive works fine on a Mac computer, and I've managed to copy the information on it. It must be a Surface issue so I'll try to get a chat line tomorrow.

twynog, Jun 14, 2020
Thema:

1. external hard drive. Why won't file manager see it. - Similar Threads - external hard drive

2. Why won't my external hard drive work?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why won't my external hard drive work?: I took the hard drive out of an old Windows laptop and used a hard drive case to connect it to my computer for storage. It worked fine, until one time it just didn't work. I had used it on both Mac and Windows, but I don't think it's a Mac filesystem compatibility thing...
  3. Why won't my external hard drive work?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why won't my external hard drive work?: I took the hard drive out of an old Windows laptop and used a hard drive case to connect it to my computer for storage. It worked fine, until one time it just didn't work. I had used it on both Mac and Windows, but I don't think it's a Mac filesystem compatibility thing...
  4. Why can I see my external hard drive is not in file manager, data mgt, or diskpart but I...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Why can I see my external hard drive is not in file manager, data mgt, or diskpart but I...: Hi. I have an external drive that does not show up in file manager windows 10. In data management, it does not show any partitions, is labeled disk 1, unknown, and not initialized. Right mouse clicking it "initialize" is greyed out. In diskpart, I see disk 1 with status of...
  5. Why can I see my external hard drive is not in file manager, data mgt, or diskpart but I...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why can I see my external hard drive is not in file manager, data mgt, or diskpart but I...: Hi. I have an external drive that does not show up in file manager windows 10. In data management, it does not show any partitions, is labeled disk 1, unknown, and not initialized. Right mouse clicking it "initialize" is greyed out. In diskpart, I see disk 1 with status of...
  6. Why can I see my external hard drive is not in file manager, data mgt, or diskpart but I...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Can't access external hard drive in file manager

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't access external hard drive in file manager: I recently switched from a Mac to Windows 10, had been using my external hard drive fine, but I can't open it in file manager since getting my new PC. It connects, and it shows up in disk manager, but none of the previous fixes on this forum have worked so that I can access...
  8. File History can't see external hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File History can't see external hard drive: File History can no longer see my external hard drive, 4tb WD My Passport. I have used this drive previously with file history on this very computer and on my laptop so I know it can work. A little while ago I decided to temporarily stop using File History, but now when I try...
  9. Unable to see external hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Unable to see external hard drive: Hi, When I look in my computer or device manager my external hard drives are not visible. However, when I connect the hard drives it makes the usb connection sound. The drives are visible when connected to a different computer. But not when connected to a different usb on...
  10. Need to see program files on external hard drive.

in Windows 10 Support
    Need to see program files on external hard drive.: Windows 10 did an update on my wife's desktop that was incompatible with the Nvidia graphic drivers on it. As a result, the dual monitors no longer display. We took the computer to the local Microsoft store and they were fully aware of the problem and are working on it. But,...