Windows 10: External Hard Drive won't power up

Discus and support External Hard Drive won't power up in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have an old usb 2.0 external drive enclosure with a ~150GB Hitachi drive, that works fine. I took a 500GB drive from a working Linux system, placed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by rboppy, Mar 8, 2017.

1. rboppy Win User

External Hard Drive won't power up

I have an old usb 2.0 external drive enclosure with a ~150GB Hitachi drive, that works fine. I took a 500GB drive from a working Linux system, placed it in the enclosure and when powered up nothing happen, the discs don't spin.

Is it a problem between window and linux, or something else?

:)

rboppy, Mar 8, 2017

2. can t connect an external hard drive on my nokia n8

if your external hard drive has a dedicated power plug, use it. if none, unfortunately, AFAIK it won't work in N8 USB on the go. external hard drive usually has higher power requirement than USB thumb drive. and with the 1200mAh battery of the n8, i doubt
    it can support your hard disk.

my 1 cent External Hard Drive won't power up :)

blue_crim---01, Mar 8, 2017
  3. USBs still on after shutting down the computer

The external hard drive is USB connected to the computer. My external HD has no option for external powering.

dschaareman, Mar 8, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

If its not spinning its a power fault you would only see the drive in windows under disk manager

Samuria, Mar 8, 2017
  5. Berton Win User
    Also, the Linux default-formatted disk most usually can't be read by Windows. The opposite is possible as most versions of Linux can read NTFS drives.

Berton, Mar 8, 2017
  6. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

try connecting the USB drive via a POWERED HUB -- there probably isn't enough power in the standard USB to drive the HDD --even from a so called "Charging Port"on the mobo or laptop.

Even in Windows a Linux HDD will still "Spin" - you'll probably see something like "Unitialized" or "RAW" disk -- can be re-formatted easily enough if you need it for Windows.

That size HDD though make it GPT.

If there's "non standard" controller software in the enclosure then you probably won't be able to get the HDD to work that way -- also your new one might be SATA whereas the old one is probably an old IDE HDD - who knows if Windows even supports those any more.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Mar 8, 2017
  7. Berton Win User
    Because I use those type adapter cases on different computers I have no need to use MBR or GPT, don't need them to be bootable, storage only.

And Win10 does support such cases, have 3 using the Y-Cable to get Data and Power with one leg and additional Power from a second USB port with the second leg of the cable. I also have a 750GB and 1TB WDC Passport drives that need only a single USB port, it all depends upon the power requirements of the HDDs put in the cases as noted on the drive's label as to the needs. With the 2.5" Notebook drives, anything over 0.5A/500ma requires the additional power.

Berton, Mar 8, 2017
  8. lx07 Win User

Try putting your ear next to it. If it goes beep-beep-beep and it isn't spinning then you don't have enough power.

lx07, Mar 8, 2017
  9. rboppy Win User
    Thank you all for your suggestions. Let me tell you more about the situation.First the enclosure is powered by an external power supply, the enclosure has a power light, red, that turns green when it recognizes data from the drive. The HDD is a SATA drive and the enclose is also SATA.The drive is connected to the laptop computer through a USB 2.0 powered hub, that plugs into a USB 3.0 plug on the laptop.I verified no spin (or beeps) using a stethoscope. Later today I’ll put the drive back into the old desktop and see if it still spins, maybe I some how killed it.

rboppy, Mar 8, 2017
  10. clam1952 Win User
    Just chipping in here, Win10 does still support IDE.

clam1952, Mar 8, 2017
  11. rboppy Win User
    Put the drive back into the desktop, turned it on and Ubuntu came right up! I didn't kill the drive, there must be some incompatibility issues with the enclosure and HDD. I now have a 500GB boat anchor.

rboppy, Mar 8, 2017
  12. Berton Win User
    So that's what my dozen 3.5" and 10 2.5" usable drives on the parts shelf are?

Berton, Mar 8, 2017
  13. rboppy Win User

A better use is to take them apart and salvage the rare earth magnets, they're great!

rboppy, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. External Hard Drive won't power up - Similar Threads - External Hard Drive

2. external hard drive not backing up

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    external hard drive not backing up: every time i press back up it does its backing up thingy then it says you havent backed up your drive ive tried 3 times and many different things online please help me i need to fix it before wensday cause they gonna take my computer and fix it and they might need to wipe it...
  3. External hard drive not showing up

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External hard drive not showing up: I just downloaded windows on a flash drive then plugged it into my pc but when i go to select where i want to download windows nothing shows up. Please help...
  4. External Hard Drive not showing up

External Hard Drive not showing up: Hello I have an external hard drive that worked only a few days ago perfectly,but today it doesn't show up at all under the devices and drives. The computer recognizes that it is connected to the PC. It also doesn't show in disk management. I can use minitool partition...
  5. external hard drive not showing up

external hard drive not showing up: it's not showing up at all. not in windows explorer, not in the device manager, not in disk management, it's as if i didn't even put it in. it's always worked perfectly fine on my laptop (which is what i'm using now) and i used it on my computer (windows 7) just several...
  6. External Hard Drive Power Off?

External Hard Drive Power Off?: I have a WD 2TB Mypassport drive and for some reason after I shut down my desktop it still has power to it and the light blinks. I want to completely shut off everything when I shut down my PC. I checked all of the power setting and nothing seems to work. Does anyone have...
  7. External Hard Drive Not Showing UP

External Hard Drive Not Showing UP: Hello, I am using a WD external hard drive to transfer files from one Windows 10 machine to others. The first machine saw the disk fine, and I added all of the data. The next two machines saw the disk fine, and I transferred all of the date. The fourth machine does not...
  8. connecting up to an external hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    connecting up to an external hard drive: I have an Acer Aspire and I want to connect up to an external hard drive but this computer dose not recognize the usb plug in. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/connecting-up-to-an-external-hard-drive/0d249a3d-70be-45d8-beb3-354c0b1a564c
  9. Backing up to a external hard drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backing up to a external hard drive: After reading about ransomware etc. it got me wondering about backing up my information to an external hard drive. It would serve double duty in the event of a drive failure or the unlikely event of ransom ware. I've never used an external drive for backup so I have a few...
  10. External Hard Drive not showing up

External Hard Drive not showing up: I have an external hard drive that I have used regularly with a Windows 7 machine via esata that does not show up when plugged into my Windows 10 notebook via USB. I can see it under the disk management, but there is no drive letter assigned so I cannot access it. ? 37434

Users found this page by searching for:

1. problem windows 1903 cannot see my hitachi usb 3.0 drive