Windows 10: external hard drive working on one pc but not another?

Discus and support external hard drive working on one pc but not another? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; can anyone help me out? i have an external hard drive 1tb (two actually) that ive been using for a few years now, works perfectly fine on my windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/LoveDaMeech, Dec 5, 2020.

1. external hard drive working on one pc but not another?

can anyone help me out? i have an external hard drive 1tb (two actually) that ive been using for a few years now, works perfectly fine on my windows 10 pc and even on my ps4 to move files around, but whenever i connect it to my laptops (two windows 10 laptops) the external hhd doesnt show up? its powered on, other usb things work fine when plugged in, but i cant see it in devic manager, and some sites have recommended formatting it in the disk manager but i dont see it there either

can anyone help?

submitted by /u/LoveDaMeech
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/LoveDaMeech, Dec 5, 2020
  2. Remon Ont Win User

External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, Dec 5, 2020
  3. twynog Win User
    External hard drive not recognised

Thanks for this. I've done what you suggested and been through all the steps mentioned in the article. The hard drive works fine on a Mac computer, and I've managed to copy the information on it. It must be a Surface issue so I'll try to get a chat line tomorrow.

twynog, Dec 5, 2020
  4. external hard drive working on one pc but not another?

External Hard Drive

To address your concern, here are the troubleshooting steps that you can try. Follow the steps below:

Uninstall and reinstall the external hard drive program.

• In the Settings app, go to System.
    • Go to Apps & features and locate the external hard drive program.
    • Uninstall the program and go to the manufacturer's website to reinstall the updated version.
    Uninstall and reinstall the Paragon driver software.

• Following the same steps mentioned above, locate the software in Apps & features
      and uninstall it.
    • After uninstalling the software, go to the manufacturer's website to reinstall it.
    To further isolate your concern, we'd also like to verify if the OneDrive app is enabled on your PC.

You can hit us back for additional help.

Kind regards.

Jennifer Cha, Dec 5, 2020
Thema:

external hard drive working on one pc but not another?

1. external hard drive working on one pc but not another? - Similar Threads - external hard drive

2. External hard drive not working on PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External hard drive not working on PC: I had this external hard drive for a while and it worked fine. But then it just stopped detecting and showing up even in disk management. When I plug it in a laptop it shows up fine, even in windows explorer and everything is in order. It even shows up in my TV. But when I...
  3. External hard drive not working on PC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External hard drive not working on PC: I had this external hard drive for a while and it worked fine. But then it just stopped detecting and showing up even in disk management. When I plug it in a laptop it shows up fine, even in windows explorer and everything is in order. It even shows up in my TV. But when I...
  4. External hard drive not working on PC

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. One Drive/External Hard Drive

One Drive/External Hard Drive: For some time since I have done a Reinstall of windows, I had issues of when I would try to eject my external hard drive, with a notice that another program was using the drive and could not eject.I noticed when I was exploring various ways to solve this issue that Task...
  6. Hard drive not working in one external enclosure but does in another

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hard drive not working in one external enclosure but does in another: I have two external USB hard drive enclosures, both Sabrent brands. One is a single bay model DFLT and I just got a new 4-bay enclosure model SC4B.I bought a new hard drive and installed it into the 4-bay SC4B enclosure, I then went to disk management and a window came up...
  7. Hard drive not working in one external enclosure but does in another

Hard drive not working in one external enclosure but does in another: I have two external USB hard drive enclosures, both Sabrent brands. One is a single bay model DFLT and I just got a new 4-bay enclosure model SC4B.I bought a new hard drive and installed it into the 4-bay SC4B enclosure, I then went to disk management and a window came up...
  8. Hard drive not working in one external enclosure but does in another

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  9. copying from one external hard drive to another

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    copying from one external hard drive to another: I am trying to copy a large folder of photo files from one external hard drive to another in Windows 10. I used a drag and drop command and the resulting window showed progress as I could see the names of individual photo files showing briefly. After the copy process...
  10. Backup from one external hard drive to another

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Backup from one external hard drive to another: I have a Dell Inspiron 15 laptop with the latest version of Windows 10. I have been backing up my photos from one external hard drive to another (both 2TB) using Windows 7 backup and restore for a few years. After copying all my images to a 5TB drive, and having another blank...