Windows 10: External Hard Drives Won't Work on Two Specific USB Ports

Discus and support External Hard Drives Won't Work on Two Specific USB Ports in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have two external hard drives that I've usually kept plugged into two back USB ports but all of a sudden, the USB ports stopped detecting them one... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Klaw117, May 4, 2019.

1. Klaw117 Win User

External Hard Drives Won't Work on Two Specific USB Ports

I have two external hard drives that I've usually kept plugged into two back USB ports but all of a sudden, the USB ports stopped detecting them one day. If I move them to other USB ports, they work fine. In addition, any other USB drives I plug into those two USB ports work fine as well. The ports and the drives seem fine but when I put those two drives into those two specific ports, they don't work. What's going on here? If someone knows and can tell me, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

:)

Klaw117, May 4, 2019
  2. SVLingam Win User

My Seagate external hard drive is not detected when plugged in to USB port of my laptop using windows 10?

Thanks for your response.

I have tried all the steps provided, however in vain. The external hard drive is not identified at all in any of the the USB ports when connected. The USB ports identify other external Flash drives and devices. However this drive is detected in another laptop
    using Windows 7 OS. Please advise further.

Regards

SVLingam, May 4, 2019
  3. twynog Win User
    External hard drive not recognised

Thanks for this. I've done what you suggested and been through all the steps mentioned in the article. The hard drive works fine on a Mac computer, and I've managed to copy the information on it. It must be a Surface issue so I'll try to get a chat line tomorrow.

twynog, May 4, 2019
  4. John Ado Win User

usb external hard drive hub

Hi Norine,

Let's take a closer look to the issue to get to the bottom of it. Please answer the following:

• Can you tell us the exact error message?
    • Have you checked the specification of your external drive? Verify with the manufacturer if it's backward compatible with USB 2.0
    • Is any chance that your desktop has at least one USB 3.0 port?

We look forward to your response.

John Ado, May 4, 2019
Thema:

1. External Hard Drives Won't Work on Two Specific USB Ports - Similar Threads - External Hard Drives

2. Two USB Ports not working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Two USB Ports not working: Two of my USB Ports are not working, the other one is working though. I have tried to restart my PC and even tried multiple websites to fix it but none of it appears to be working. This happened a bit after I turned on my PC after putting it to 'sleep' for 4 days. My mouse...
  3. USB port only recognizes external hard drive.

USB port only recognizes external hard drive.: One of my usb ports only recognizes 1 external hard drive. The hard drive is powered by the usb port and works in every other port. The usb port fails to recognize any other device I plug in The last USB device you connect malfunctioned. The port does however still charge...
  4. External hard drive connected by USB port

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External hard drive connected by USB port: I have this external hard drive that has been designated as F and also a removable flash drive as E. Both use USB ports and have been working. Now the computer sees neither after rebooting twice. Tried to switch the ports and drives also. Any suggestions?...
  5. Two front USB ports are not working

Two front USB ports are not working: My front 2 USB ports are not working or recognizing when a device is plugged in, the back ports work fine. The USB devices that I've tried have a light that lights up when they're connected - that won't even light up when it's plugged into the front ports. My computer is an...
  6. win 10 does not detect external hard drive on usb port

win 10 does not detect external hard drive on usb port: I recently set up a new computer with Windows 10. I have a hard drive that I removed from my old (Windows XP) PC, and have connected it as an external drive to the new Win 10 PC using a Unitek USB 3.0 to IDE adapter. The adapter has its own power supply so it does not need...
  7. Specific USB port doesn't recognize specific USB flash drive

Specific USB port doesn't recognize specific USB flash drive: Windows 10 custom built system - I have two USB flash drives - a Samsung USB 2.0 and a Sandisk USB 3.0 I have 4 USB ports at the top of the computer tower (Two are USB 3.0 [#1 and #2] and Two are USB 2.0 [#3 and #4]) The Samsung drive is recognized on USB #1,2,3, and 4 -...
  8. Specific USB port doesn't recognize specific USB flash drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Specific USB port doesn't recognize specific USB flash drive: Windows 10 custom built system - I have two USB flash drives - a Samsung USB 2.0 and a Sandisk USB 3.0 I have 4 USB ports at the top of the computer tower (Two are USB 3.0 [#1 and #2] and Two are USB 2.0 [#3 and #4]) The Samsung drive is recognized on USB #1,2,3, and 4 -...
  9. external usb hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    external usb hard drive: Can i install windows 10 on an external USB hard drive? If so, how? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-usb-hard-drive/9631ecc3-3373-4174-8b01-818623bd5c4f
  10. USB ports won't work.

USB ports won't work.: Ever since last month, I haven't been able to use my USB ports, Charger port works but I can't use both my USB ports. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-ports-wont-work/a34bfa6e-64cf-4c05-9f50-2f8ea8055264