Windows 10: External HD cannot eject PC hard drive appears to be accessing it cont

Discus and support External HD cannot eject PC hard drive appears to be accessing it cont in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello I have a western Digital 2B external USB hard drive for backing up. For some reason the WD hard disk light is flashing continuously and my PC... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by TechiGeoff, Sep 30, 2018.

1. External HD cannot eject PC hard drive appears to be accessing it cont

Hello
    I have a western Digital 2B external USB hard drive for backing up. For some reason the WD hard disk light is flashing continuously and my PC hard disk is also flashing as though accessing the WD drive. When I try to eject the WD drive I get the message "This device is currently in use. Close any programs etc etc...….
    I have tried all the fixes that I can find on the internet (I think) but nothing works. I re boot and the same thing is happening. Can I get rid of the info in windows 10 and start all over again as though it is a new drive.
    Hope somebody can help please.
    Thank You
    Geoff Smith

:)

TechiGeoff, Sep 30, 2018

2. Seagate External Hard Drive

Hi Barbara,

Hardware failure or corruption within your system files are some of the possible reasons why you are experiencing an issue with accessing your external hard drive. For us to provide an accurate solution, we would need you to answer the following questions:

• Which build, version and edition of Windows 10?
    • Are you experiencing the same issue when you are trying to access the external hard drive using another PC?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

In the meantime, we suggest running the automated troubleshooter for hardware. Follow these steps to do so:

• Open the Control Panel.
    • Using the search box at the upper right corner of the window, type troubleshooting.
    • From the search results, click on Troubleshooting.
    • Click on Hardware and Sound and then choose Hardware and Devices.
    • Once done, restart your computer and then check if the same issue persists.

We are looking forward to your response.

Darleen Pen, Sep 30, 2018
  3. Can't eject external hard drive

Every time that I try and eject my Samsung external hard drive, I get a message pop up saying to close any programs using it. I also can't eject using drive tools in File Explorer. I have checked and there is nothing running. I can also eject the hard
    drive in other computers, after using it for basically exactly the same use.

External HD cannot eject PC hard drive appears to be accessing it cont e4f0f3bd-f36c-4788-a670-c46b2354f097.png

EmilyFleet, Sep 30, 2018
  4. Marco Gav Win User

External HD cannot eject PC hard drive appears to be accessing it cont

unrecognised external hard drive on Windows 10

Since you already reinstalled the drivers of the External Hard Drive, let's run the
    Hardware and Devices troubleshooter as it can resolve your concern. You can do that by following these steps:

• Press the Start button.

• Type and select Troubleshooting.

• Click on View all on the left panel.

• Select and run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter.

If the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter doesn’t resolve your concern, we suggest that you change the letter of the External Hard Drive. You can do that by following these steps:

• Press the Start button.

• Type and select Control panel.

• Select System and Security.

• Select Administrative Tools, and a new window will appear.

• Double-click Computer Management, and a new window will appear.

• Select Disk Management that is located under
      Storage
      in the left pane.

• Right click on the External Hard Drive that is not showing on the File Explorer.

• Select Change letter and network path, and a new window will appear.

• Select Change, and choose the letter that you want for the External Hard Drive.

After changing the letter of the External Hard Drive, we suggest that you reboot your laptop for the changes to take effect.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Marco Gav, Sep 30, 2018
Thema:

External HD cannot eject PC hard drive appears to be accessing it cont

1. External HD cannot eject PC hard drive appears to be accessing it cont - Similar Threads - External cannot eject

2. Can't access external hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't access external hard drive: Yes, it is visible in Device Manager. Yes, the "best drivers" are already installed. Yes to every unhelpful "reply" from Microsoft LITTERED around this forum. Yet I still cannot open the drive. HOW DO I ACCESS MY EXTERNAL DRIVE?1?! This is clearly a known issues that you...
  3. External HD cannot eject PC hard drive appears to be accessing it cont

External HD cannot eject PC hard drive appears to be accessing it cont: Hello I have a western Digital 2B external USB hard drive for backing up. For some reason the WD hard disk light is flashing continuously and my PC hard disk is also flashing as though accessing the WD drive. When I try to eject the WD drive I get the message "This device is...
  4. External Hard drive not accessible

External Hard drive not accessible: My external hard drive was unplugged accidently. When i plugged it back into the computer, it recogonized a previous error with it and was in the process of fixing those errors automatically when it was accidentally unplugged again. Now when i plug in my external drive the...
  5. Accessing external hard drives in a VM

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Accessing external hard drives in a VM: I have always had a bit of an issue accessing my second hard drive (in a dvd caddy) on my laptop when I clean install to a VM (in Hyper-V for sure - but also in VMware from memory) as I always have to install specific AMD drivers (same happens if I clean install to host) as...
  6. changed access to external hard drive

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    changed access to external hard drive: I made a mistake by changing something I should not. My system is dutch so I must translate, which is probably not always clear, sorry for that. Here is what happened: I opened filebrowser and I saw a little icon with two heads under my external hard drive. I thought that...
  7. Cannot eject safely an external USB drive

Cannot eject safely an external USB drive: Hello, Recently I bought one "WD Elements" 1TB external drive for data storage. When attachet it to the pc, it was found by the file explorer, it is already NTFS formated, one whole partition. On it found "WD Smartware pro trial" installer and an 'autorun.inf' file....
  8. Can't Access External Hard Drive

Can't Access External Hard Drive: I can't access my external hard drive from my laptop. But when connect to other laptop using win 7 it easily open. [img] Drive E not showing NTFS file system. [img] Pop up when I tried to open Drive E. This is so frustrating Its not my external HD fault and I...
  9. Cannot eject safely usb external drive

Cannot eject safely usb external drive: Hello, The problem of beeing unable to eject the usb drive safely still exists, the only way I found (temporarily) is to disable it in the device manager, but then the change asks to restart the computer, if I do not restart, the drive is unabled. It seems I will have to...
  10. External Hard drive not accessible...

External Hard drive not accessible...: Hi All, External Hard drive not accessible...? I have 1TB Seagate Backup Plus Slim 200gb cloud Hard Drive. It was working fine on Win 7 earlier, I formatted my desktop and installed win 7 OS since then my exernal hard drive is not initializing. My external hdd was not...