Windows 10: External HD cannot eject PC hard drive appears to be accessing it cont

Discus and support External HD cannot eject PC hard drive appears to be accessing it cont in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello I have a western Digital 2B external USB hard drive for backing up. For some reason the WD hard disk light is flashing continuously and my PC... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by TechiGeoff, Sep 30, 2018.

1. External HD cannot eject PC hard drive appears to be accessing it cont

Hello
    I have a western Digital 2B external USB hard drive for backing up. For some reason the WD hard disk light is flashing continuously and my PC hard disk is also flashing as though accessing the WD drive. When I try to eject the WD drive I get the message "This device is currently in use. Close any programs etc etc...….
    I have tried all the fixes that I can find on the internet (I think) but nothing works. I re boot and the same thing is happening. Can I get rid of the info in windows 10 and start all over again as though it is a new drive.
    Hope somebody can help please.
    Thank You
    Geoff Smith

:)

TechiGeoff, Sep 30, 2018

2. Seagate External Hard Drive

Hi Barbara,

Hardware failure or corruption within your system files are some of the possible reasons why you are experiencing an issue with accessing your external hard drive. For us to provide an accurate solution, we would need you to answer the following questions:

• Which build, version and edition of Windows 10?
    • Are you experiencing the same issue when you are trying to access the external hard drive using another PC?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

In the meantime, we suggest running the automated troubleshooter for hardware. Follow these steps to do so:

• Open the Control Panel.
    • Using the search box at the upper right corner of the window, type troubleshooting.
    • From the search results, click on Troubleshooting.
    • Click on Hardware and Sound and then choose Hardware and Devices.
    • Once done, restart your computer and then check if the same issue persists.

We are looking forward to your response.

Darleen Pen, Sep 30, 2018
  3. Can't eject external hard drive

Every time that I try and eject my Samsung external hard drive, I get a message pop up saying to close any programs using it. I also can't eject using drive tools in File Explorer. I have checked and there is nothing running. I can also eject the hard
    drive in other computers, after using it for basically exactly the same use.

External HD cannot eject PC hard drive appears to be accessing it cont e4f0f3bd-f36c-4788-a670-c46b2354f097.png

EmilyFleet, Sep 30, 2018
  4. Marco Gav Win User

External HD cannot eject PC hard drive appears to be accessing it cont

unrecognised external hard drive on Windows 10

Since you already reinstalled the drivers of the External Hard Drive, let's run the
    Hardware and Devices troubleshooter as it can resolve your concern. You can do that by following these steps:

• Press the Start button.

• Type and select Troubleshooting.

• Click on View all on the left panel.

• Select and run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter.

If the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter doesn’t resolve your concern, we suggest that you change the letter of the External Hard Drive. You can do that by following these steps:

• Press the Start button.

• Type and select Control panel.

• Select System and Security.

• Select Administrative Tools, and a new window will appear.

• Double-click Computer Management, and a new window will appear.

• Select Disk Management that is located under
      Storage
      in the left pane.

• Right click on the External Hard Drive that is not showing on the File Explorer.

• Select Change letter and network path, and a new window will appear.

• Select Change, and choose the letter that you want for the External Hard Drive.

After changing the letter of the External Hard Drive, we suggest that you reboot your laptop for the changes to take effect.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Marco Gav, Sep 30, 2018
Thema:

External HD cannot eject PC hard drive appears to be accessing it cont

1. External HD cannot eject PC hard drive appears to be accessing it cont - Similar Threads - External cannot eject

2. Can't eject my external hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't eject my external hard drive: Hi , I just bought a new computer and I found a weird error . It has windows 11 pro install and I have the latest version .I have a lot of usb port , and two in the front . One work but the other can't eject my external hard drive . Let me explain . On the second usb port ,...
  3. Can't eject my external hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't eject my external hard drive: Hi , I just bought a new computer and I found a weird error . It has windows 11 pro install and I have the latest version .I have a lot of usb port , and two in the front . One work but the other can't eject my external hard drive . Let me explain . On the second usb port ,...
  4. Can not eject external hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can not eject external hard drive: I currently have an external hard drive attached to my computer through a front USB port. When I try to eject it with the "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media" icon, it says "This device is currently in use. Close any programs or windows that might be using the device, and...
  5. Can't eject external hard drive

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't eject external hard drive: When I try to eject my external hard drive I get the message "This device is currently in use. Close any programs or windows that might be using the device, and then try again." There are no programs using the device in fact, I've restarted the computer 3 times since I got...
  6. Unable to eject external hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to eject external hard drive: My new computer came with a previous version of windows 10 home a couple weeks ago. I had to download the newer version of Windows 10 in order to use the newest versions of Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop. Not long after downloading this I started to notice that I was unable...
  7. Can't eject external hard drive!

Can't eject external hard drive!: Hi, I have a recent issue that when I tried to safely eject external hard drive an error message appear as below: '\Device\Harddiskvolume2\Program Files\Microsoft\MDOP MBAMAgent.exe' is preventing this device from being stopped... I wonder how to fix this issue? Thanks...
  8. Can not eject external hard drive!

Can not eject external hard drive!: Hi, I have a recent issue that when I tried to safely eject external hard drive an error message appear as below: '\Device\Harddiskvolume2\Program Files\Microsoft\MDOP MBAMAgent.exe' is preventing this device from being stopped... I wonder how to fix this issue? Thanks...
  9. External Hard drive cannot access

External Hard drive cannot access: Hello, I have stored videos and photo on a maxtor back when I used a mac, before i got it stolen. I recently got a Dell laptop and I haven't been able to access any of the data on the hard drive. I tried going through Computer management > disk management but still can't...
  10. External HD cannot eject PC hard drive appears to be accessing it cont

in Windows 10 Support
    External HD cannot eject PC hard drive appears to be accessing it cont: Hello I have a western Digital 2B external USB hard drive for backing up. For some reason the WD hard disk light is flashing continuously and my PC hard disk is also flashing as though accessing the WD drive. When I try to eject the WD drive I get the message "This device is...