Windows 10: External HD & eSata port

Discus and support External HD & eSata port in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Some Windows Update kill my PC ability to see External HD plugged to eSata Port. Happened just in the last week, everything was working last time about... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by F-t-C, Oct 20, 2020.

1. F-t-C Win User

External HD & eSata port

Some Windows Update kill my PC ability to see External HD plugged to eSata Port. Happened just in the last week, everything was working last time about a week ago. Pluged the SAME External HD via USB2/3 - all looks good. Another update broke Win10 functionality?!

:)

F-t-C, Oct 20, 2020
  2. bpgt64 Win User

External HD

I am planning on buying an external drive with an eSATA port, However I don't have an eSATA port on my computer. And some of the benchmarks online show significant improvements in speed using an eSATA, vs USB 2.0 . I have several open SATA ports how ever, and I may not understand completely how eSATA works, however I thought a normal SATA port could be connected using something like this;
    http://www.microcenter.com/single_pr...uct_id=0233366
    I am using this motherboard;
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131335
    and this External HD;
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822204079

My overall goal is to create an eSATA port on the back of the computer using the device from Microcenter plus a generic SATA cable...Any suggestions or corrections to my ideas?

bpgt64, Oct 20, 2020
  3. AmyBass Win User
    How Can I Get Windows 10 to "See" my External Hard Drive in the eSata Port?

Hello -

Thank you for your reply. I'm afraid, though, that you missed my statement of the problem. I am having no trouble at all with my USB connection - in fact, the connection to the drive using my USB port works perfectly.

The problem I am having is with connection to the external hard drive using my
    eSata port.

I contacted the manufacturer about this and was told that there are no drivers, that "modern" operating systems contain all the info needed to control the drive.

To me, Windows 10 does not appear to be searching for something attached to the
    eSata port. When I plug the drive into the
    USB port, the OS quickly recognizes the drive, and it pops up with a "what do you want to do with these files" window -
    no problem there. When I plug it into the
    eSata port - nothing at all happens. With Windows 7 (my previous OS), the drive is recognized in either port. I was using the
    eSata port previously, and I would like to continue using it (to free up my USB ports for other uses).

So - stating the problem briefly ... Windows 10 does not see my device when I plug it into the
    eSata port.
    How do I get Windows 10 to recognize an eSata device?

Thank you,

- Amy

AmyBass, Oct 20, 2020
  4. AmyBass Win User

External HD & eSata port

eSATA device not recognized

Hi - I am having this same problem, I believe. My external hard drive (Fantom GFP2000Q3 Pro 2TB USB/eSata/Firewire) was working perfectly with Windows 7. I had it attached to my laptop using the eSata port. After I upgraded to Windows 10, however, it
    just was not recognized at all. I discovered that it works just fine when I plug it into the USB 3.0 port - Windows automatically recognizes it and it operates perfectly. When I plug it back into the eSata port though - nothing. I tried running the Troubleshooter
    (as suggested above) but Windows still did not even know it's plugged in.

I contacted Fantom, and they told me that these drives do not require any drivers to be installed with "modern" operating systems... everything it needs is already there in the OS.

So - try plugging your drive into the USB port (if your drive has one) and see if that makes it pop up. Post here if you find a solution to the problem, please.

Thanks!

- Amy

AmyBass, Oct 20, 2020
Thema:

External HD & eSata port

1. External HD & eSata port - Similar Threads - External eSata port

2. Transfer from external HD NTFS to external HD exFat

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Transfer from external HD NTFS to external HD exFat: I copied the contents of my external HD to a new external HD, not knowing I was going from NTFS to exFat. Upon completion, I noticed that the first and last folder transferred correctly, while all the folders in between are empty. However, the new external HD shows 508 GB...
  3. Transfer from external HD NTFS to external HD exFat

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Transfer from external HD NTFS to external HD exFat: I copied the contents of my external HD to a new external HD, not knowing I was going from NTFS to exFat. Upon completion, I noticed that the first and last folder transferred correctly, while all the folders in between are empty. However, the new external HD shows 508 GB...
  4. Transfer from external HD NTFS to external HD exFat

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. esata internal hd won't start

esata internal hd won't start: I am using internal hdd attached by esata port, and it was working in the morning. All of a sudden the connection does not power up the drive and of course does not find it. I tried connecting several different drives and the same thing. I know the power and the sata...
  6. External HD

External HD: External HD is recognized but does not appear in My Computer on Windows 10 PRO system https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hd/d98debb3-1b03-42de-9643-d5d53ad30a5e
  7. Security settings for external esata / usb drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Security settings for external esata / usb drive: Hello, Recently upgraded to a Windows 10 PC, I also have another nearly identical Windows 10 PC plus three other PC running earlier versions of Windows. I have a 1TB external SATA drive (accessing from an eSata and USB connection) that I need to access from all my PC's...
  8. External eSATA HDD culprit for long boot times (?)

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    External eSATA HDD culprit for long boot times (?): Hi all, I'm desperately trying to improve my boot times given I'm using SSD and when I used Win8.1 I used to have 8 seconds boot time. This is a clean Win10 installation and all drivers are up to date. I'm using an external eSATA HDD for backups. It seems that Windows...
  9. External HD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    External HD: 1. I have a external HD that is compatible with windows 7 or 8. When I upgrade to windows 10 will I still be able to use it? 2. Can I download windows 10 ISO to a external HD and then install windows 10 right off of that same external HD? 16269
  10. Can Windows 10 be installed on eSATA spinner HD?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can Windows 10 be installed on eSATA spinner HD?: I'm in the process of downloading Win 10 latest ISO. Can it be installed on an eSATA spinner HD as standalone, or must it be installed over existing OS such as Vista, 7 or 8? 4380