Windows 10: External HD for backup Question

Discus and support External HD for backup Question in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I'd like to know what size external HD I should get, looks like my C drive is 222 GB?should I get a SSD? Is there anything else I should know about... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by JoeFromSd, Oct 4, 2021.

1. JoeFromSd Win User

External HD for backup Question

I'd like to know what size external HD I should get, looks like my C drive is 222 GB?should I get a SSD? Is there anything else I should know about these ext H drives?I plan on cloning the whole disc if that matters.

:)

JoeFromSd, Oct 4, 2021

2. Backup on external HD

I have several external HD units for backup.

All units turn on was accessible in computer and ready for backup via SyncToy.

In Win 10 the external HD sowed op the first two days. Then disappeared one by one.

All discs had its own drive letter.

Now only one external HD is accessible.

Wil that HD disappear too.

Jorn Dalsgaard, Oct 4, 2021
  3. Jelo Sen Win User
    EXTERNAL HD

Hello,

To better assist you with connecting your external Hard Drive to your device, we appreciate it if you can answer the following questions:

• Have you checked the status of the drive in Device Manager?
    • Have you tried updating the driver?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    In the meantime, we suggest running Microsoft easy fix by going to this link:

Find and fix problems with devices and hardware

Looking forward to your response.

Jelo Sen, Oct 4, 2021
  4. External HD for backup Question

How to back-up to external HD in WIN10

Thank you Eeshwar for the quick response to my HD backup question. I was not successful in accessing the area you suggested to determine if the START TYPE was set to automatic.

I did finally follow the MS suggestion (using WIN 7 BU process) to delete all prior BU versions on the Toshiba and to copy the latest BU elsewhere on my HD as it may/will be overwritten.

Backup to the external Toshiba was successful at that point.

Again, thank you for your advice....Bessben - Omaha

bessbenChadwick, Oct 4, 2021
Thema:

External HD for backup Question

1. External HD for backup Question - Similar Threads - External backup Question

2. External Backup Drive Question...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    External Backup Drive Question...: I'm using a Toshiba external backup drive. I'm backing up my entire computer but 1 folder says it's going to take another 12 hours before completing. I don't have that kind of time so I would like to stop it. However, it's already downloaded thousands of files from it. I...
  3. External Backup Drive Question...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Backup Drive Question...: I'm using a Toshiba external backup drive. I'm backing up my entire computer but 1 folder says it's going to take another 12 hours before completing. I don't have that kind of time so I would like to stop it. However, it's already downloaded thousands of files from it. I...
  4. External Backup Drive Question...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Not able to backup files located on an external HD

Not able to backup files located on an external HD: Hi I need to backup mp3 files located on the external HD "XXX". I go to Control Panel and Backup settings and i set as backup untit the external drive "YYY", then i remove all the default folder to be backup music, documents, downloads and so on and I add a folder on HD...
  6. Partition portion of External HD for System Files Backup

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Partition portion of External HD for System Files Backup: Current Windows Version 2004 (OS Build 1904.329) I have a secondary 3TB External USB HD. Once formatted leaves me with 2.72 TB of storage. What I would like to do is have two partitions on this physical drive. Logical Drive K which would have about 600gb and that would leave...
  7. Backup folder not visible on external HD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Backup folder not visible on external HD: On my 2 Tb WD external drive I have some standard folders that are visible. However I cant find the WD backup folder. My standard folders take up less than 500 Gb and it shows only 1.07 Mb is available. File explore options" are set to "Show hidden files, folders and...
  8. Windows 10 Backup to External HD Error

Windows 10 Backup to External HD Error: When using Windows 10 (thru the Control Panel Security feature backup and restore) and trying to create a backup of my computer to an external HD I get the following error message: The file or directory is corrupted or unreadable. Details:Access is denied. Error Code:...
  9. Does BackUp to an external hd do a new backup with date?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Does BackUp to an external hd do a new backup with date?: I have been backing up my Win10 to external harddrives. However, when I check the harddrives, the only File History I can find was dated 1.31.18 It seems as if when I want to change the HD used, the laptop balks at this and I have to go to Adv. Settings and turn backup on...
  10. Accessing An External HD: Sr. Citizen Question ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Accessing An External HD: Sr. Citizen Question ?: Hi, So simple a question, I'm embarased to ask. Will blame it on old age now. Should have stayed with W7. Anyway, I have an external HD plugged into a USB Port for doing some backups How do i get to it afterwards, please ? I thought "File Explorer," but it...