Windows 10: External HD, recognized by PC but unable to initialize

Discus and support External HD, recognized by PC but unable to initialize in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello, I have a 3,5 HD, from which I need to check some information. It was from an old PC I sold and kept the HD as an information backup. This HD... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by itmonitor, Jul 31, 2019.

1. itmonitor Win User

External HD, recognized by PC but unable to initialize

Hello,

I have a 3,5 HD, from which I need to check some information. It was from an old PC I sold and kept the HD as an information backup. This HD has Windows 10 installed in it and there are Microsoft Office documents stored in it. When I plug-in the HD into a PC desktop USB port, Disk Management will recognize and display it. However, it will not initialize it. When I try to initialize it manually, checking options MBR or GPT it will not initialize. Disk management informs: This device is working properly. Device Started, Device configured and Device not migrated.

Is there any way to access the HD information? Formatting it is not an option.

Here you have a couple of messages from the Disk Management utility:

"Device SCSI\Disk&Ven_TO_Exter&Prod_nal_USB_3.0\000000 was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match.
    Last Device Instance Id: PCISTOR\Disk&Ven_RSP2STOR&Prod_RTS5208LUN0&Rev_1.00\0000
    Class Guid: {4d36e967-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
    Location Path:
    Migration Rank: 0xF000FC00FFFFF120
    Present: false

:)

itmonitor, Jul 31, 2019

2. Laptop suddenly stopped recognizing the external monitor

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

To assist you better, I would like to ask if the laptop is unable to recognize only the external monitor or other external devices also.

I suggest you to run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter by following the steps below:

• Click on the Start button, and type “Troubleshooting” on the search bar.
    • Click on “Hardware and Devices”.
    • A pop-up will appear, click on the “Next” button and your hardware troubleshooting will start.

Hope the information is helpful. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Jul 31, 2019
  3. Windows Backup and Restore not recognizing external HD

I'm trying to create a disk image of my computer running Windows10 with this hard drive

My computer recognizes the drive, but Windows backup and restore doesn't.

So far, I reformatted the HD, and also verified that I have the most recent driver for my external HD

I also ran troubleshooting scan on Windows 10, and there was no issue.

I've read multiple threads regarding this issue, and I've done what were suggested.

Are there any other recommendations?

Ikupoo_2017, Jul 31, 2019
  4. Clark Ari Win User

Bad External HD???

Hi Tom,

The error that you received when trying to connect or access data to an external hard drive can be caused due to the following:

• Corrupted USB driver is unstable or corrupted.
    • Important Windows Update is missing.
    • USB controllers are corrupted or unstable.
    • Your external drive may be entering selective suspend.
    • Motherboard needs to update its drivers.

In order for us to troubleshoot your concern, we recommend that you follow the steps provided on this article:
    Error: “USB Device not recognized” when you try to access a USB external hard drive.
    The article will be able to provide you with the steps that you'll need to perform in order to resolve this issue.

Let us know if you have other questions.

Clark Ari, Jul 31, 2019
Thema:

1. External HD, recognized by PC but unable to initialize - Similar Threads - External recognized unable

2. Windows 11 Will Not Recognize External HD - ADATA HD710

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Will Not Recognize External HD - ADATA HD710: Hard drive is not recognized when I plug in. It will pop up and ask to initialize when I bring up disk mgt. Both options result in a Data Error: Cyclic Redundancy Check, When I take a look at the device properties in Device Management: "This device is working properly."...
  3. Windows 11 Will Not Recognize External HD - ADATA HD710

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Will Not Recognize External HD - ADATA HD710: Hard drive is not recognized when I plug in. It will pop up and ask to initialize when I bring up disk mgt. Both options result in a Data Error: Cyclic Redundancy Check, When I take a look at the device properties in Device Management: "This device is working properly."...
  4. External HD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External HD: External HD is recognized but does not appear in My Computer on Windows 10 PRO system https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hd/d98debb3-1b03-42de-9643-d5d53ad30a5e
  5. SSD not initialized and unable to initialize

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    SSD not initialized and unable to initialize: I have 3 disks on my desktop : 1 M.2 disk boot disk , 1 SSD drive and 1 HDD drive . Everything was working well until yesterday i was unable to access some files on the SSD drive . After restarting the computer the SSD drive doesn't appeared anymore . In disk management...
  6. Unable to initialize external hard drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Unable to initialize external hard drive: Hi, I was using an external hard drive on my PS4 however it just randomly stopped working after well over a years use. I plugged it into my PC but i could not see it. When i open disk management and do a disk scan i can then see it appear in the disk management section...
  7. laptop not recognizing external hard drive, says it is unallocated and not initialized

laptop not recognizing external hard drive, says it is unallocated and not initialized: brought home a fully functioning external hard drive that had data on it....but when I plug it into my laptop, it does not appear in Windows Explorer....I checked Disk Management, and it says the disk is working properly, but has no assigned disk letter, and the disk place...
  8. win 10 will not recognize external HD/storage devices....

win 10 will not recognize external HD/storage devices....: so trying my external drives on new win 10 machine. both devices worked fine on win 7, every other device I use via this usb connection also work fine. so how can I get win 10 to work fine? I see one of the devices is listed in device manager but cannot get it to actually...
  9. External HDD not Initializing, Not in "This PC", Need Recovery!

External HDD not Initializing, Not in "This PC", Need Recovery!: Last night I was copying files from External HDD over to my computer. It was a very long process and in my sleepy state I put my computer to sleep during the copying. When I logged back in the following morning the copy process appeared paused but when I went to restart...
  10. External HD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    External HD: 1. I have a external HD that is compatible with windows 7 or 8. When I upgrade to windows 10 will I still be able to use it? 2. Can I download windows 10 ISO to a external HD and then install windows 10 right off of that same external HD? 16269