Windows 10: External HDD 3.5 WD RED NAS Enclosure Keeps Ejecting

Discus and support External HDD 3.5 WD RED NAS Enclosure Keeps Ejecting in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a Sabrent 3.5 external enclosure. It keeps ejecting itself from one of my Windows 10 computers running build 20H2 19041.804. The 3.5 HDD is a WD... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by JDubbedN, Feb 21, 2021.

1. JDubbedN Win User

External HDD 3.5 WD RED NAS Enclosure Keeps Ejecting

I have a Sabrent 3.5 external enclosure. It keeps ejecting itself from one of my Windows 10 computers running build 20H2 19041.804. The 3.5 HDD is a WD Red NAS HDD 4TB. The ejecting of the drive happens frequently. I use this drive to continually read/write data for various server related jobs. When I plug it into another computer it works fine. I swapped out the enclosure and the problem occurs again on the same problematic computer. There are 4 USB 3.0 ports on the machine and I've tried all of them with the same results. I have 2 USB ports being used by two other NAS's and they work fine. So the problem seems to be specifically related to the drive in this specific computer. The computer just stopped liking it one day and it's been plugged in for a couple years without a problem.

1. I've tried chkdsk and it is getting stuck at about 80% on the problematic machine yet it completes just fine on other machines.
    2. HD Tune Pro shows that the interface CRC Error count is current 200, worst 195, threshold 0, data 435 and status attention. This makes me think the HDD is starting to show signs of failure if I am interpreting the numbers correctly.
    3. HD Tune Pro finds no errors in its deep scan error scan.
    4. WD Dashboard fails on the problematic computer because it keeps ejecting but passes on other machines.

So the pattern I am seeing is that the HDD fails and ejects constantly on the one machine I need it on but when I test it on other machines it passes except for the CRC error count with HD Tune Pro which stays consistent across the board because it is the S.M.A.R.T. data. Could anyone provide some advice on what my next steps should be other than backing up my data?

Thanks!

:)

JDubbedN, Feb 21, 2021

2. QNAP Also Announces Support for the New WD Red and Red Pro NAS Hard Drives

QNAP Systems, Inc. announced today that Turbo NAS products now support the new WD Red 5/6 TB NAS hard drives and WD Red Pro NAS hard drives. Specifically designed for NAS applications and featuring exclusive NASware 3.0 technology, the new WD Red and WD Red Pro hard drives provide enhanced reliability and performance for NAS applications.

The new WD Red 5/6 TB NAS hard drives are designed for NAS systems with up to 8 drive bays and can easily meet the growing data storage demands of SOHO and home users. The WD Red Pro NAS hard drives are designed to provide affordable, robust and highly-reliable hard drives for medium-to-large-scale business NAS systems with 8-16 drive bays.

External HDD 3.5 WD RED NAS Enclosure Keeps Ejecting QNAP_WD_Red_Red_Pro_Support_banner_thm.jpg

"Fueled by the continuous growth of the global NAS market, WD Red NAS hard drives now offer larger capacities to fulfill the data storage needs of home NAS users. With the addition of WD Red Pro, the expanded WD Red family now offers medium to large business NAS systems a key solution for handling the increasing workloads in modern business environments," said Darrin Bulik, Director of Digital Video & NAS Products, WD Storage Technology. "We have worked closely with QNAP to ensure compatibility for WD Red &WD Red Pro NAS drives with Turbo NAS, providing users with reliable hard drives for optimal performance and robust data protection."

"We are glad to offer our users more options in choosing suitable hard drives for their Turbo NAS by fully supporting WD's latest NAS drives," said Jason Hsu, product manager of QNAP. "By using the new WD Red hard drives, our users will enjoy higher capacities, greater reliability, and an enhanced WD service."

The new WD Red hard drives and WD Red Pro hard drives are available in 3.5-inch form factors and SATA 6 Gb/s interface to provide capacity-optimized solutions, including:
    • WD Red 5 TB (WD50EFRX ) and 6 TB (WD60EFRX); 3-year limited warranty
    • WD Red Pro 2 TB (WD2001FFSX), 3 TB (WD3001FFSX), and 4 TB (WD4001FFSX); 5-year limited warranty
    For more information about WD Red NAS hard drives, visit http://wdc.com/en/products/internal/nas/

To discover the full lineup of Turbo NAS-compatible hardware, go to www.qnap.com/compatibility. To learn more about QNAP Turbo NAS products, please visit www.qnap.com.

Cristian_25H, Feb 21, 2021
  3. Lipton Win User
    Western Digital Launches 2.5-inch WD Red Hard Drives for NAS

I guess this is how it looks today:

Consumer:
    Seagate ST4000VN000 (3 years)
    WD Red WD40EFRX (3 years)

Enterprise:
    WD Se WD4000F9YZ (5 years)
    [WD] HGST Ultrastar 7K4000 (5 years)
    Toshiba MG03ACA/MG03SCA (5 years)

5 TB is much needed. *Smile External HDD 3.5 WD RED NAS Enclosure Keeps Ejecting :)

Edit: Here's a test just posted between the two consumer drives: Battle of the 4 TB NAS Drives: WD Red and Seagate NAS HDD Face-Off

Lipton, Feb 21, 2021
  4. btarunr Win User

Thecus Release WD Red Drive Compatibility List

Why is July 11th 2012 a big day for Western Digital and the storage industry? The reason is exciting; the data storage expert is to launch, on that day, their new line of product, the Red drives. Bringing to the market a drive made especially for NAS devices, WD Red drives combine with a Thecus NAS will show the storage world what digital data is all about.

WD Red hard drives are designed specifically for NAS systems that range from 1 to 5 bays. The drives are designed and extensively tested for compatibility in the unique 24x7 demanding system requirements of home and small office NAS. Already tested by Thecus engineers, the Red series have passed the test with many of our devices. As announced at the launch, the NAS listed below were showing great performances with the Red HDD mounted inside:

External HDD 3.5 WD RED NAS Enclosure Keeps Ejecting 32a_thm.jpg

Specifications: SATA 6 GB/S interface, width of 3.5” and height of 1”, Rotational speed managed by IntelliPower. With a current capacity range of 1TB, 2TB and 3TB, the 3.5” SATA Red™ HDD combine with the latest series of Thecus NAS, the Vision series (N2800, N4800 and N5550), the users could reach a total storage pool of 6, 12 and 15TBs. And that is not counting the external hard drives that can be added to the NAS through their complete connectivity of USB 3.0 or eSATA ports.

“The compatibility of Thecus NAS with the new and dynamic WD Red HDDs is excellent news for all,” said Florence Shih, general manager of Thecus. “To realize this vision, users can experience firsthand, true power and performance. Ultimately, the congruency among WD Red hard drives with Thecus NAS brings great opportunities to the storage industry.”

Compatibility
    The two latest devices from the Thecus Vision series, the N4800 and the N5550, are of course compatible with the Red HDD. The 4 bay and 5 bay NAS are both design and oriented towards multimedia applications. The two devices feature an HDMI output, which means that the users can directly stream movies, photos or music stored on their WD Red HDD to their HDTV screen. And with the SATA 6 Gb/s interface of the Red HDD compatible with the Thecus NAS; the users can be assured fast transfer and smooth streaming

Finally, the NAS exclusive WD Red, part of the WD’s complete lineup of internal hard drives, is warmly welcomed in the compatibility list. Thecus is proud to be able to support this NAS only and energy efficient HDD.

btarunr, Feb 21, 2021
Thema:

1. External HDD 3.5 WD RED NAS Enclosure Keeps Ejecting - Similar Threads - External HDD RED

2. Disk Management: Formatting New 4TB WD HDD In External Enclosure. No Progress Indicator...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Disk Management: Formatting New 4TB WD HDD In External Enclosure. No Progress Indicator...: Purchased new WD 4TB HDD and after initializing through Disk Management I initiated full format. Has been about an hour and no progress is showing. It just says "Formatting" see below. It displays following as well:Is this normal and I should just let it run over night? Any...
  3. Disk Management: Formatting New 4TB WD HDD In External Enclosure. No Progress Indicator...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disk Management: Formatting New 4TB WD HDD In External Enclosure. No Progress Indicator...: Purchased new WD 4TB HDD and after initializing through Disk Management I initiated full format. Has been about an hour and no progress is showing. It just says "Formatting" see below. It displays following as well:Is this normal and I should just let it run over night? Any...
  4. Disk Management: Formatting New 4TB WD HDD In External Enclosure. No Progress Indicator...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Can't safely eject an external HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't safely eject an external HDD: I used an external HDD to download a game Forza Horizon 5 and now I can't safely eject it I get the "Device in use prompt". Before whenever I turned off the laptop or ejected the HDD the power light turned off but now even when I shut down the laptop the power light stays on....
  6. No eject for Seagate external HDD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    No eject for Seagate external HDD: There is no eject in the right click menu of my Seagate Expansion. As it's a USB HDD should it not have eject in the right click menu? I have no way to eject this drive. Safely remove hardware from the Task bar always gives me "this device is currently in use". The Seagate...
  7. No eject for Seagate external HDD

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    No eject for Seagate external HDD: There is no eject in the right click menu of my Seagate Expansion. As it's a USB HDD should it not have eject in the right click menu? I have no way to eject this drive. Safely remove hardware from the Task bar always gives me "this device is currently in use". The Seagate...
  8. External HDD 3.5 WD RED NAS Enclosure Keeps Ejecting

External HDD 3.5 WD RED NAS Enclosure Keeps Ejecting: I have a Sabrent 3.5 external enclosure. It keeps ejecting itself from one of my Windows 10 computers running build 20H2 19041.804. The 3.5 HDD is a WD Red NAS HDD 4TB. The ejecting of the drive happens frequently. I use this drive to continually read/write data for various...
  9. Problem ejecting external HDD

Problem ejecting external HDD: Hello MS Community, I had a brand new Toshiba 500gb HDD that I put in a case I bought online to use as an external HDD. When I shutdown all files/programs related to said HDD and try to eject I get error message saying the "device is currently in use" even though...
  10. File explorer and WD external HDD

File explorer and WD external HDD: File explorer is struggling with my 2 external WD My Book 3TB HDD Problems: 1 of the drives will keep running randomly all night (and gets real hot) after PC shut down. When trying to write a batch to one of the drives explorer keeps trying to access the drive, cannot...