Windows 10: External HDD 3.5 WD RED NAS Enclosure Keeps Ejecting

Discus and support External HDD 3.5 WD RED NAS Enclosure Keeps Ejecting in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a Sabrent 3.5 external enclosure. It keeps ejecting itself from one of my Windows 10 computers running build 20H2 19041.804. The 3.5 HDD is a WD... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by JDubbedN, Feb 26, 2021.

1. JDubbedN Win User

External HDD 3.5 WD RED NAS Enclosure Keeps Ejecting

I have a Sabrent 3.5 external enclosure. It keeps ejecting itself from one of my Windows 10 computers running build 20H2 19041.804. The 3.5 HDD is a WD Red NAS HDD 4TB. The ejecting of the drive happens frequently. I use this drive to continually read/write data for various server related jobs. When I plug it into another computer it works fine. I swapped out the enclosure and the problem occurs again on the same problematic computer. There are 4 USB 3.0 ports on the machine and I've tried all of them with the same results. I have 2 USB ports being used by two other NAS's and they work fine. So the problem seems to be specifically related to the drive in this specific computer. The computer just stopped liking it one day and it's been plugged in for a couple years without a problem.

1. I've tried chkdsk and it is getting stuck at about 80% on the problematic machine yet it completes just fine on other machines.
    2. HD Tune Pro shows that the interface CRC Error count is current 200, worst 195, threshold 0, data 435 and status attention. This makes me think the HDD is starting to show signs of failure if I am interpreting the numbers correctly.
    3. HD Tune Pro finds no errors in its deep scan error scan.
    4. WD Dashboard fails on the problematic computer because it keeps ejecting but passes on other machines.

So the pattern I am seeing is that the HDD fails and ejects constantly on the one machine I need it on but when I test it on other machines it passes except for the CRC error count with HD Tune Pro which stays consistent across the board because it is the S.M.A.R.T. data. Could anyone provide some advice on what my next steps should be other than backing up my data?

Thanks!

:)

JDubbedN, Feb 26, 2021
  2. JDubbedN Win User

I have a Sabrent 3.5 external enclosure. It keeps ejecting itself from one of my Windows 10 computers running build 20H2 19041.804. The 3.5 HDD is a WD Red NAS HDD 4TB. The ejecting of the drive happens frequently. I use this drive to continually read/write data for various server related jobs. When I plug it into another computer it works fine. I swapped out the enclosure and the problem occurs again on the same problematic computer. There are 4 USB 3.0 ports on the machine and I've tried all of them with the same results. I have 2 USB ports being used by two other NAS's and they work fine. So the problem seems to be specifically related to the drive in this specific computer. The computer just stopped liking it one day and it's been plugged in for a couple years without a problem.

1. I've tried chkdsk and it is getting stuck at about 80% on the problematic machine yet it completes just fine on other machines.
    2. HD Tune Pro shows that the interface CRC Error count is current 200, worst 195, threshold 0, data 435 and status attention. This makes me think the HDD is starting to show signs of failure if I am interpreting the numbers correctly.
    3. HD Tune Pro finds no errors in its deep scan error scan.
    4. WD Dashboard fails on the problematic computer because it keeps ejecting but passes on other machines.

So the pattern I am seeing is that the HDD fails and ejects constantly on the one machine I need it on but when I test it on other machines it passes except for the CRC error count with HD Tune Pro which stays consistent across the board because it is the S.M.A.R.T. data. Could anyone provide some advice on what my next steps should be other than backing up my data?

Thanks!

JDubbedN, Feb 26, 2021
  3. JDubbedN Win User

Yes. The enclosure has it's own power supply. And I've been using the current setup for over a year as is with no issues until recent. And I tried another enclosure that also requires its own power supply that I used and same problem.

This enclosure is unmanned so to my knowledge there is no UI to go into and set it to never turn off like a WD MyCloud would have.

JDubbedN, Feb 26, 2021
  4. JDubbedN Win User

Good idea. However, the drive is in constant use in the original machine that keeps ejecting it. And when I hook it up to another machine it never gets ejected and no data is being written to it. So I don't believe this would be a solution but it is a good tool to have.

JDubbedN, Feb 26, 2021
Thema:

1. External HDD 3.5 WD RED NAS Enclosure Keeps Ejecting - Similar Threads - External HDD RED

2. Disk Management: Formatting New 4TB WD HDD In External Enclosure. No Progress Indicator...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Disk Management: Formatting New 4TB WD HDD In External Enclosure. No Progress Indicator...: Purchased new WD 4TB HDD and after initializing through Disk Management I initiated full format. Has been about an hour and no progress is showing. It just says "Formatting" see below. It displays following as well:Is this normal and I should just let it run over night? Any...
  3. Disk Management: Formatting New 4TB WD HDD In External Enclosure. No Progress Indicator...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disk Management: Formatting New 4TB WD HDD In External Enclosure. No Progress Indicator...: Purchased new WD 4TB HDD and after initializing through Disk Management I initiated full format. Has been about an hour and no progress is showing. It just says "Formatting" see below. It displays following as well:Is this normal and I should just let it run over night? Any...
  4. Disk Management: Formatting New 4TB WD HDD In External Enclosure. No Progress Indicator...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Can't safely eject an external HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't safely eject an external HDD: I used an external HDD to download a game Forza Horizon 5 and now I can't safely eject it I get the "Device in use prompt". Before whenever I turned off the laptop or ejected the HDD the power light turned off but now even when I shut down the laptop the power light stays on....
  6. No eject for Seagate external HDD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    No eject for Seagate external HDD: There is no eject in the right click menu of my Seagate Expansion. As it's a USB HDD should it not have eject in the right click menu? I have no way to eject this drive. Safely remove hardware from the Task bar always gives me "this device is currently in use". The Seagate...
  7. No eject for Seagate external HDD

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    No eject for Seagate external HDD: There is no eject in the right click menu of my Seagate Expansion. As it's a USB HDD should it not have eject in the right click menu? I have no way to eject this drive. Safely remove hardware from the Task bar always gives me "this device is currently in use". The Seagate...
  8. External HDD 3.5 WD RED NAS Enclosure Keeps Ejecting

in Windows 10 Support
    External HDD 3.5 WD RED NAS Enclosure Keeps Ejecting: I have a Sabrent 3.5 external enclosure. It keeps ejecting itself from one of my Windows 10 computers running build 20H2 19041.804. The 3.5 HDD is a WD Red NAS HDD 4TB. The ejecting of the drive happens frequently. I use this drive to continually read/write data for various...
  9. Problem ejecting external HDD

Problem ejecting external HDD: Hello MS Community, I had a brand new Toshiba 500gb HDD that I put in a case I bought online to use as an external HDD. When I shutdown all files/programs related to said HDD and try to eject I get error message saying the "device is currently in use" even though...
  10. File explorer and WD external HDD

File explorer and WD external HDD: File explorer is struggling with my 2 external WD My Book 3TB HDD Problems: 1 of the drives will keep running randomly all night (and gets real hot) after PC shut down. When trying to write a batch to one of the drives explorer keeps trying to access the drive, cannot...