Windows 10: External HDD always active; Not going into sleep mode

Discus and support External HDD always active; Not going into sleep mode in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Hi there! I have a problem with my external 1TB HDD drive. Since I got a new laptop for my oculus quest 2, I decided to store all the games on an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Andres FelipeAyala, Mar 18, 2023.

1. External HDD always active; Not going into sleep mode

Hi there! I have a problem with my external 1TB HDD drive. Since I got a new laptop for my oculus quest 2, I decided to store all the games on an external HDD, which is connected over a SATA-USB3 adapter. It works without a problem, but in some games, while im in a room for example, and I go outside, meaning that the game needs to access new data like textures, it is in sleep mode, and needs to turn on again, and while that happens, the game starts to bug and stutter; Also each time I hear the disk starting to run again. I tried to change the USB root energy options on the device manager, but

:)

Andres FelipeAyala, Mar 18, 2023
  2. RRP17 Win User

All desktop windows are move/push-over to Main display after waking-up from sleep mode

I'm happy to find these as work-around, very helpful at least to my systems scenario.

All my desktop windows retained the exact location in both built-in and external monitor, before and after Sleep mode.

Step 1. Press the below keys before the computer turn to sleep mode

(typically, this is prior to leaving my computer for a break)

• Windows logo key + M

Step 2. Press the below keys after signing back or activating from sleep mode

• Windows logo key + Shift + M

RRP17, Mar 18, 2023
  3. Sleep mode

Hi Adam,

For us to better assist with your issue on sleep mode, we'd like to ask a few questions.

• Have you made any updates to your computer before experiencing this issue?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

In the meantime, we suggest that you refer to this thread and follow the answer of Andre
    Da Costa to troubleshoot the issue with sleep mode missing.

You can also refer to this article that was
    created by Andre Da Costa to enable sleep mode.

Looking forward to you response.

Reymichael Ros, Mar 18, 2023
  4. Hannesx Win User

External HDD always active; Not going into sleep mode

HDD is not going in to sleep mode.

Well then.........Solved it myself .......or it solved....itself... Luckily, because not exactly too much help came from this place. Noticed it today, maybe it was realated to new graphics driver, program Hddscan, recent update from Microsoft or some
    settings in advanced power management that didn't seem to be conneced to hdd sleeping. Hdd now sleeps after ten minutes even it's set to three minutes.

Hannesx, Mar 18, 2023
Thema:

External HDD always active; Not going into sleep mode

1. External HDD always active; Not going into sleep mode - Similar Threads - External HDD always

2. External HDD always active; Not going into sleep mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External HDD always active; Not going into sleep mode: Hi there! I have a problem with my external 1TB HDD drive. Since I got a new laptop for my oculus quest 2, I decided to store all the games on an external HDD, which is connected over a SATA-USB3 adapter. It works without a problem, but in some games, while im in a room for...
  3. Defender won't let an external HDD go to sleep

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Defender won't let an external HDD go to sleep: Hello, Well, the topic title says it all. I recently purchased a Western Digital My Book 8TB and no matter what I couldn't get it to stand by/sleep. I tried everything: messing around with USB power options, indexing, installing dedicated WD software that has a sleep timer -...
  4. Windows Defender won't let external USB HDD go to sleep

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Defender won't let external USB HDD go to sleep: Hello, Well, the topic title says it all. I recently purchased a Western Digital My Book 8TB and no matter what I couldn't get it to stand by/sleep. I tried everything: messing around with USB power options, indexing, installing dedicated WD software that has a sleep timer -...
  5. USB external HDD keeps going to sleep

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    USB external HDD keeps going to sleep: I have a ThinkPad X1 6 gen for specs Currently I have a USB external HDD that keeps going to sleep. When I go to power options, there is no options for usb power however looking online I see that there should be. I've tried running some CMD commands I found online to restore...
  6. Going into Sleep mode

in Windows 10 Support
    Going into Sleep mode: Hi all, I recently migrated from a HDD to a SSD in my computer, did install the latest version of Windows 10 than what it was before, and i'm noticing something different with the way it goes to sleep. Originally when i put it to sleep, the computer would go down and the...
  7. Going into Sleep mode

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Going into Sleep mode: Hi all, I recently migrated from a HDD to a SSD in my computer, did install the latest version of Windows 10 than what it was before, and i'm noticing something different with the way it goes to sleep. Originally when i put it to sleep, the computer would go down and the...
  8. How to prevent external HDD from going to sleep?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    How to prevent external HDD from going to sleep?: I have four external hard disks connected to my laptop either directly or through a USB hub. I have searched the issue that I'm asking about, but I have not found a definitive answer. The most common solution appears to be to use a program to write a small file to each hard...
  9. External USB HDD going to sleep mode

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    External USB HDD going to sleep mode: I don't understand why Microsoft refuses to address this problem in Windows 10. It's an old problem and all the answers from Microsoft are vague and send us around things that people have already tried and it does not solve the problem. Just look at the blogs of the...
  10. HDD won't go to sleep

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    HDD won't go to sleep: I have recently upgraded from Win 8.1 Pro x64 to Win 10 Pro x64 and I am experiencing a weird problem. My HDD setup is as follows: Samsung EVO 250GB M2 SSD - OS and apps Crucial MX100 512GB SATA SSD - Games Seagate ST2000 2TB SATA HDD - Media After configuring Windows...