Windows 10: External HDD appears in device manager but not disk manager

Discus and support External HDD appears in device manager but not disk manager in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I was transferring data to my external HDD when the transfer dropped to 0b/s and refused to pause and cancel, eventually resulting in the window... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by rem2792, Sep 6, 2021.

1. rem2792 Win User

External HDD appears in device manager but not disk manager

I was transferring data to my external HDD when the transfer dropped to 0b/s and refused to pause and cancel, eventually resulting in the window becoming unresponsive. I ended up plugging out the HDD at that point as I couldn't get it to eject. Subsequently the HDD was no longer able to be found on disk manager and my computer. It appears in device manager as my Seagate External HDD, but not in any data/HDD recovery software. Using command prompt to do a search through all the connected drives also doesn't show it. When plugged in, windows gives the usb connected sound alert and the HDD light

:)

rem2792, Sep 6, 2021
  2. seejp Win User

external hard drive showing up in device management but not disk management

Hi,

I recently tried to use a brand new Seagate 2TB External HD, but it is not showing up. It initially showed up, but after I tried reformatting it to exFAT32, it disappeared from the disk management list.

I then tried:

• refreshing the disk management list,
    • inserting into a different USB port,
    • re-starting my computer, and
    • uninstalling the device from device manager/letting it refresh,

I still can't see it. There is no yellow error in the USB controller list.

I'm on Windows 10.

Intel i5-3317U @ 1.7GHz

Any suggestions? Thanks!

seejp, Sep 6, 2021
  3. HDD not appearing in Disk Management or Device Manager on Windows 10

My computer has a total of 4 HDD. All 4 were visible and working the previous day. Now 2 cannot be viewed in the device manager nor disk management. The rest of the computer is functioning normally.

Clay Yellow Horn, Sep 6, 2021
  4. External HDD appears in device manager but not disk manager

HDD in a HDD caddy is not showing up in the disk management

Hi,

To assist you better, I would like to ask some questions:

• How are you connecting the HDD Caddy?
    • What is the make and model of your computer?

If you are connecting the device using USB, I suggest you to check if other USB devices are recognized as USB devices or Other device. If it is displaying as other device, then the issue might be with the USB port. So, I suggest you to update the USB drivers
    by following the steps below:

• Press Windows key + X, select Device Manager.
    • Expand Universal Serial Bus Controller.
    • Right click on the drive, select Update Driver Software and follow the on-screen prompts.

Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Sep 6, 2021
Thema:

External HDD appears in device manager but not disk manager

1. External HDD appears in device manager but not disk manager - Similar Threads - External HDD appears

2. HDD not appearing in Disk Management and about TPM 2.0./PTT

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HDD not appearing in Disk Management and about TPM 2.0./PTT: HiI have 2 notebooks, an old Asus [Windows 10 64 bit] & Dell Inspiron 5570, 2018 version, Windows 10 64 Bit, both with latest Windows Updates & Asus drivers I could find for the oldie & all Dell's available updates.I have 3 HDDs, all from diverse old notebooks, which via an...
  3. HDD not appearing in Disk Management and about TPM 2.0./PTT

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    HDD not appearing in Disk Management and about TPM 2.0./PTT: HiI have 2 notebooks, an old Asus [Windows 10 64 bit] & Dell Inspiron 5570, 2018 version, Windows 10 64 Bit, both with latest Windows Updates & Asus drivers I could find for the oldie & all Dell's available updates.I have 3 HDDs, all from diverse old notebooks, which via an...
  4. HDD not appearing in Disk Management and about TPM 2.0./PTT

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. External HDD not showing up in disk management

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    External HDD not showing up in disk management: My 1TB external Seagate HDD is being detected in device manger, but I cannot see it on disk management. When I connect it, it beeps 5 times, no matter which port I use submitted by /u/vininhosts [link] [comments]...
  6. My external seagate hdd is shown on disk management and device manager but is not shown on...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    My external seagate hdd is shown on disk management and device manager but is not shown on...: My external seagate hdd is shown on disk management and device manager but is not shown on file manager,it shows that it is online in disk management and that there are 2 partitions and both are online How do i fix this? [ATTACH]...
  7. Hdd not in Disk Management

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Hdd not in Disk Management: I am trying to add a second hdd to my new laptop (The first hdd is a m2 ssd). It is a hdd from an older laptop but the drive still worked yesterday in that old laptop. On the new laptop the hdd does show up in the bios but not in disk management in windows. I also booted the...
  8. HDD Not Recognized in Disk Management

HDD Not Recognized in Disk Management: Hello, 2 weeks ago I received new ASUS laptop ASUS 15 X509FL with no OS. After installing the OS Windows 10 via DOK I'v noticed that my HDD st1000lm035-1rk172 is detected on BIOS and Device Manager but not detected in the Disk management so I cant use it at all. So for now...
  9. Seagate external drive recognized by device manager but not disk management

Seagate external drive recognized by device manager but not disk management: Hello I have a 4 TB seagate imagepro external harddrive which I have been using for about two years. Every time I plugged it in I would get a message saying there are problems with the drive and I always ignored it. Finally I chose the option to scan and repair. While this...
  10. Second HDD showing up in BIOS and Device Management, but not in Disk Management

Second HDD showing up in BIOS and Device Management, but not in Disk Management: Hello! First of all about my config Lenovo Y720-15IKB OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Enterprise 2016 LTSB Motherboard: Intel H170 ITX KBL-S( I believe, the system doesnt say it, I looked up on the internet) BIOS version/date: LENOVO 4GCN31WW, 2017. 09. 27. SSD: Kingston...