Windows 10: External HDD cases not working and partially crashing Windows External HDDs work fine

Discus and support External HDD cases not working and partially crashing Windows External HDDs work fine in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I bought an external USB 3.0 HDD case adata ex500 for an HDD I had lying around, and it was working correctly, however, one day I was going to transfer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Beto Barraza, Dec 22, 2019.

1. External HDD cases not working and partially crashing Windows External HDDs work fine

I bought an external USB 3.0 HDD case adata ex500 for an HDD I had lying around, and it was working correctly, however, one day I was going to transfer some files from another external HDD case that I had to my said new HDD and case, so I pluggied in both of them one being USB 3.0 and the older case USB 2.0 and the second external never got recognized.

The issues started as soon as the second drive was plugged in. It never showed on my computer, and when I tried to eject the drive, nothing happened. So I tried to turn off the computer in order to safely remove it, and the computer never got past the "shutting down" screen. It was kind of, like a partial crash, and happens every time I plug in ANY external USB 3.0 HDD case.

And the same happens every time I plugged in the case, also restarting the computer was useless, as it never got past the "restarting" screen.

The same HDD case was tried on another computer and it works perfectly. Also, the USB 2.0 still works on my computer, also a USB 3.0 external Samsung HDD.

At first I thought it was the adata case, so I bought and adata ED600 3.0 external case, and the same happened, so I started blaming the brand, but today I got a different brand 3.0 external case and the same issue persists.

What can I do?

:)

Beto Barraza, Dec 22, 2019
  2. dermy Win User

External HDDs

Hi i had a seagate freeagent (external) which stopped working so i bought another enclosure and the hdd kept disconnecting/reconnecting in windows 8.1, so i boht another enclosure and also the same thing. Iv tried a different hdd and all hdds work perfectly when plugged directly into sata ports on the board, are there any other steps i can try or do you think iv just been unlucky with enclosures?

dermy, Dec 22, 2019
  3. External HDD not working since update

I recently updated to windows 10 a few weeks ago, and I went to hook up my usb external HDD the other day, and it is not recognizing it. I plug it in but it does not show up. I can't see it in disk manager, it DOES show up in device manager though under
    universal serial bus controllers as "usb mass storage device". that's about the only place i can see some sort of connection between my computer and the HDD. when i plug it in it is getting power, the usb port is good because i can plug my phone into it and
    connect it to my computer, and the HDD is also good because i have successfully connected it to another computer and it works fine. in device manager it says i have the latest software for it. ive tried uninstalling the driver and the HDD removes itself from
    the list device manager list, i then unplug and plug it back in and it pops right back up and says the driver is up to date on the HDD. I am not sure what i should do next i am totally lost. THANKS!

theskater101388, Dec 22, 2019
  4. GlynAston Win User

External HDD cases not working and partially crashing Windows External HDDs work fine

external HDD wont work

My external HDD is not working when plugged into my usb port. I am running windows 10

it comes up with

H:\

The directory name is invalid

It shows up in This PC as local Disk(HExternal HDD cases not working and partially crashing Windows External HDDs work fine :)

GlynAston, Dec 22, 2019
Thema:

External HDD cases not working and partially crashing Windows External HDDs work fine

1. External HDD cases not working and partially crashing Windows External HDDs work fine - Similar Threads - External HDD cases

2. Backup not working to external hdd anymore? Why

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Backup not working to external hdd anymore? Why: I want to backup my whole c drive so I can do a fresh start on my pc for work without losing all my other files. I used the windows backup tool in the past and the file history was fine. I deleted that folder off my hdd and have been trying for 2 days to backup the whole...
  3. Increasing performance of External HDDs

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Increasing performance of External HDDs: I have a lot of external HDD. mostly for backups, data transfer. Noticed after getting a new Easystore drive, it had issues reconginizing on windows 10, with the 4 port hub USB2. Until I plugged it into a front PC port, USB3. Then I received a refurbished Non-powered WD...
  4. Windows 10 - Some of the external HDD is not working

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 - Some of the external HDD is not working: When i connect to external HDD to my laptop and its detecting and its not showing files,I can see that from device manager connected but its showing device not migrated . when i connect to mac its working properly please advise....
  5. External HDDs getting hot.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    External HDDs getting hot.: Recently I re arranged my external HDDs. and for some reason they show up on Hard Disc Sentinal as running around 52c. I can explain what all the HDDs are for , but currently I have 7 external and 5 internal, 4 USB hubs. To narrow problem down I will mention the problem I...
  6. external hdd

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    external hdd: Heyo guys! i want to switch from linux to windows but i have 1 little question about my external hard drive. Will it just work fine on windows or do i need to format it first? thanks in advance! submitted by /u/gekkemat [link] [comments]...
  7. External HDD

External HDD: Hello, I recently used the Media Creation tool to reinstall windows on my system, and the drive was set to 31.9GB instead of the original size 1TB. I fixed that issue, by extending the volume. anyway, if I format it, it doesn't show up in This PC. so I had to create a...
  8. External HDDs unmounting itself !

External HDDs unmounting itself !: I have windows 10 home and a laptop DELL 7720 My problem : External HDDs unmount itself after new booting in a short time ! 10 minutes ok the funtion and then they are vanishing and you can't back them with an unplug /plug action...
  9. USB external HDD no longer working

USB external HDD no longer working: Greetings: I have an old external HDD enclosure (Mad Dog) that shows up as "Unspecified" under Devices and Printers. This drive was working just fine several months ago. I basically just use it as a backup for my music library, so I do access it very often. I lost a good...
  10. External HDD not working after windows 10 upgrade

External HDD not working after windows 10 upgrade: I upgraded my Acer Aspire 5750G from Windows 7 to 10 today. My Toshiba STOR.E Basics 1 TB HDD was working at first, but later when I tried to access it, it gives me an error saying "E:\ is not accessible. The parameter is incorrect." I checked the Device Status and it read...