Windows 10: External HDD causes BSOD on startup after Windows 11 upgrade

Discus and support External HDD causes BSOD on startup after Windows 11 upgrade in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi,I recently upgraded to Windows 11 and now I am constantly getting the dreaded BSOD when I start my PC if I do not unplug my external HDD's first. It... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by jaxon7au, Dec 1, 2022.

1. jaxon7au Win User

External HDD causes BSOD on startup after Windows 11 upgrade

Hi,I recently upgraded to Windows 11 and now I am constantly getting the dreaded BSOD when I start my PC if I do not unplug my external HDD's first. It always starts fine when they are not connected and I had no issues previously when using Windows 10 on the same PC.I'm guessing I need to somehow get my PC to ignore the external HDD when starting up, maybe the computer is trying to load from one of them, but I can't figure out how to do so. many Google searches later, still no idea.The BSOD message usually says "page fault in non paged area"My PC specs are;Processor IntelR CoreTM i7-87

:)

jaxon7au, Dec 1, 2022
  2. zbook Win User

BSOD when copying files from external HDD to external HDD

See post #5, step #20.

The latest BSOD was with 11 customized windows driver verifier customized settings.

The cause was a misbehaving Macrium driver.

Uninstall and reinstall the software.

Restart windows driver verifier.

zbook, Dec 1, 2022
  3. Avedis53 Win User
    Can't get GPU-Z to start with Windows 8.1 startup

I'm not sure how to do that. Could you list the steps for a noob?

Avedis53, Dec 1, 2022
  4. External HDD causes BSOD on startup after Windows 11 upgrade

External HDD showing on W10 but not on W11 (usb port are fine)

I only suggested using the other PC in case you could not back up your files to the Windows 11 PC.

Are all HDD's not working on the Windows 11 PC or just external USB?

What normally works for this is what I gave you, so I'd at least try it if the other steps I gave didn't work.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP 2010-2020, Dec 1, 2022
Thema:

External HDD causes BSOD on startup after Windows 11 upgrade

1. External HDD causes BSOD on startup after Windows 11 upgrade - Similar Threads - External HDD causes

2. External HDD causes BSOD on startup after Windows 11 upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External HDD causes BSOD on startup after Windows 11 upgrade: Hi,I recently upgraded to Windows 11 and now I am constantly getting the dreaded BSOD when I start my PC if I do not unplug my external HDD's first. It always starts fine when they are not connected and I had no issues previously when using Windows 10 on the same PC.I'm...
  3. External HDD with backups inaccessible in win 10 after BSOD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External HDD with backups inaccessible in win 10 after BSOD: BSOD has rendered my backups in my external hard drive inaccessible. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hdd-with-backups-inaccessible-in-win-10/6ef3a18b-2791-4129-81d3-d18732e832b6
  4. Window 11 installation after HDD to SSD upgradation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Window 11 installation after HDD to SSD upgradation: hi, I am using a windows 10 home version and recently I got update notification to change my OS to Windows 11. But since I am planning to change my HDD to SSD, I would like to know whether I can install Windows 11 directly after hard disk updation. If so how can I install...
  5. Window 11 installation after HDD to SSD upgradation

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Window 11 installation after HDD to SSD upgradation: hi, I am using a windows 10 home version and recently I got update notification to change my OS to Windows 11. But since I am planning to change my HDD to SSD, I would like to know whether I can install Windows 11 directly after hard disk updation. If so how can I install...
  6. HDD Problems causing BSOD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    HDD Problems causing BSOD: Hello My Sony VAIO stopped working a few years ago. Windows 10 was running slowly. A day the PC wasn't booting anymore and it was giving UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME. After that i tried to run "System Diagnosis" but it wasn't starting it showed only win10 logo and then a black...
  7. no connect external hdd cause bsod

no connect external hdd cause bsod: hi, my laptop connect external hdd via usb3.0 everything works fine, but no connect external hdd will cause bsod. I already update latest version of intel driver dump: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AkO_gpBnT93mg0-afcWWElU6QBEt?e=BRH0jk...
  8. Is there a way to force Windows 10 to load external HDD's after startup not during it?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there a way to force Windows 10 to load external HDD's after startup not during it?: I have several external HDD's, my Windows 10 is installed on a internal SSD and i have noted my usb drives slow up the start up time quite noticeably. What i would like to do is have Windows 10 open my usb drives only after it has finished booting itself from the SSD drive....
  9. BSOD when copying files from external HDD to external HDD

BSOD when copying files from external HDD to external HDD: Long story short, I've purchased a 5TB WD Mypassport USB C HDD to replace my 4tb wd my passport and I'm usding syncback to copy over about 2.8TB of backups and what not Twice now I've had it crash while running. I've come back to it and found it has restarted. found the...
  10. External HDD not working after windows 10 upgrade

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External HDD not working after windows 10 upgrade: I upgraded my Acer Aspire 5750G from Windows 7 to 10 today. My Toshiba STOR.E Basics 1 TB HDD was working at first, but later when I tried to access it, it gives me an error saying "E:\ is not accessible. The parameter is incorrect." I checked the Device Status and it read...