Windows 10: External HDD causes whole system to be very unresponsive

Discus and support External HDD causes whole system to be very unresponsive in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I have 3 drives, 1 nvme ssd[boot]. One sata ssd and one hdd. Whenever the hdd is under full load, the system becomes unusable though cpu is at 1% load... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/GameDealGay, Jul 8, 2020.

1. External HDD causes whole system to be very unresponsive

I have 3 drives, 1 nvme ssd[boot]. One sata ssd and one hdd. Whenever the hdd is under full load, the system becomes unusable though cpu is at 1% load and 29gb ram available.

Why is windows prioritizing the drive in such a way that I cant use the system (task manager took 10m to load) Currently ms compact is compressing a directory, it has never performed so terribly before, however.

Anything already in ram, such as firefox continues working flawlessly, but anything not in ram is unusable.

In general having a HDD plugged causes delays in file explorer etc, even though you're doing nothing related to the drive.

https://i.imgur.com/MBozrfR.png

There's obviously some issue with IO, but all USB devices are working flawlessly and there's no load on anything except the HDD.

submitted by /u/GameDealGay
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/GameDealGay, Jul 8, 2020

2. Whole system gets unresponsive.

Sometimes my laptop gets UNRESPONSIVE. The whole system becomes unresponsive (And I mean it). Nothing responds. No shortcuts nothing even the shortcut to shut the system down also doesn't works. I always have to shut it down forcefully
    using the power button provided. The mouse pointer sticks at a position and doesn't moves. Also while typing this question it hanged twice and every time it hanged I had to forcefully shutdown. Why the **** this happens? Please provide a solution!!

Ritesh Sachan, Jul 8, 2020
  3. external HDD

Hi,

Usually, this problem occur due to software incompatibility or corrupted USB drivers. For us to better assist you, we would like to clarify the following:

• Have you made any recent changes on your computer prior to the issue?
    • Which driver did you uninstall? Have you reinstall the driver? If yes, how did you reinstall the driver?
    • Have you check if the external HDD is visible in Device Manager?

If the issue still persists after uninstalling some games, we suggest that you run the troubleshooter for hardware and devices. If you're using the latest Windows 10 version, follow these steps on how to run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter:

• Click the Start button and select the Settings
      icon.
    • Choose Update & Security from the list.
    • Click Troubleshoot in the left pane of the window.
    • Under Find and fix other problems, select Hardware and Devices and click
      Run the troubleshooter.

We're looking forward to your reply.

Gerard Qui, Jul 8, 2020
  4. Kem Mon Win User

External HDD causes whole system to be very unresponsive

unlock hdd

Hi Johan,

It is possible that your
    HDD was unreadable
    causing the error message to appear. We recommend that you perform these troubleshooting steps and check if there are any changes:

• Shutdown
      your
      PC.

• Unhooked
      the
      HDD
      and
      turn on
      your
      PC.

• Reconnect
      your
      HDD
      and
      restart
      your
      PC.

If the issue persists, we suggest that you contact your
    laptop/computer's manufacturer
    for further assistance.

Update us on how it goes.

Regards.

Kem Mon, Jul 8, 2020
Thema:

External HDD causes whole system to be very unresponsive

1. External HDD causes whole system to be very unresponsive - Similar Threads - External HDD causes

2. clean whole 4tb hdd

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    clean whole 4tb hdd: Hello ,I have a device which have 2hdd at 4tb. I want to clean the whole disk app? How much time it will take to clean it using diskpart clean all? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/clean-whole-4tb-hdd/43f61293-7f08-406a-a8f2-0235a9fe4243
  3. clean whole 4tb hdd

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    clean whole 4tb hdd: Hello ,I have a device which have 2hdd at 4tb. I want to clean the whole disk app? How much time it will take to clean it using diskpart clean all? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/clean-whole-4tb-hdd/43f61293-7f08-406a-a8f2-0235a9fe4243
  4. clean whole 4tb hdd

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. no connect external hdd cause bsod

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    no connect external hdd cause bsod: hi, my laptop connect external hdd via usb3.0 everything works fine, but no connect external hdd will cause bsod. I already update latest version of intel driver dump: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AkO_gpBnT93mg0-afcWWElU6QBEt?e=BRH0jk...
  6. Format external hdd with two operating systems

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Format external hdd with two operating systems: I have a hdd on a docking station that's connected to desktop via usb, and the hdd has two OS's on it (Windows 10 and Linux Mint). What's the best way to reformat the hdd completely? Thanks! 170917
  7. System Unresponsive

in Windows 10 Customization
    System Unresponsive: I have an issue or maybe a couple of them Updates will not install and increasing regular the system all of a sudden freezes. Mouse appears active but nothing opens. This usually happens in use but has occurred at start up with desktop displayed, mouse cursor moving but...
  8. Storage HDD causes system freeze.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Storage HDD causes system freeze.: Lately my F: (Seagate 3TB HDD) has been causing the system to freeze 1-2 seconds, presumably when it is waking as it coincides with me accessing something from the disk and I can hear the drive noise at the same time. This does not usually cause a system hang so is something...
  9. External HDD can't be read completely and causes lag

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External HDD can't be read completely and causes lag: good day. i have a toshiba canvio 3.0 1tb that can be read by my laptop. the long story is my ehdd had bad sectors and causes corruption in my files thus i formatted it. After a while i wen into an internet cafe to copy some games after going back to my house and plugging it...
  10. Copying to external Hdd very slow

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Copying to external Hdd very slow: Hi all, I have a I5 desktop 8gb memory, with a 256 ssd startup-disk (C:\) and an internal Hdd 2Tb (D:\) where all my files are stored. The windows-version is 10 pro. Now i have an external Hdd 3Tb connected via USB3 to my pc. I 'd like to make a 1on1 copy of all my...