Windows 10: External HDD dead/dying - potential revival/recovery/optimization?

Discus and support External HDD dead/dying - potential revival/recovery/optimization? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hey! I've had this external HDD for close to a year, and to be fair I haven't been as careful with it as I should have been. The HDD has "died" on me... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Hauksort, Aug 14, 2019.

1. Hauksort Win User

External HDD dead/dying - potential revival/recovery/optimization?

Hey!

I've had this external HDD for close to a year, and to be fair I haven't been as careful with it as I should have been. The HDD has "died" on me two times earlier, this being my third time struggling with it. 99% of the time it won't be recognized or even start up, but a couple of minutes ago it suddenly decided to start up and show me the stored files. I tried to copy some important folders over to my desktop, but it did not respond at all.

Disk manager refused to boot up every single time I tried, but device manager did recognize the drive.
    After a couple tries the HDD disconnected.

Even when the disk was connected none of my HDD recovery software recognized the disk except for Recuva, but the disk sadly disconnected when Recuva was starting up (could be the reason for it disconnecting I suppose).

If I manage to get the HDD to be recognized again, is there any way for me to get it into working condition, or should I simply try to format it? How would I get the important folders copied if the HDD doesn't respond at all (other than browsing the files etc.)?

I am a bit stumped as to what I should do as it could be a lot of different things. The symptoms of the drive varies, though I suspect the electronic part of the HDD is faulty.

Any help/thoughts on the matter would be very much appreciated!

Edit; The HDD often appears with a yellow warning triangle then disappears again. Only visible in device manager.

:)

Hauksort, Aug 14, 2019
  2. dopefish9 Win User

Secondary HDD not found by Optimize and Defrag

Hello,

Upgraded to Win10 a few weeks ago. I have a 240G primary SSD (CExternal HDD dead/dying - potential revival/recovery/optimization? :) and 1TB internal secondary HDD (EExternal HDD dead/dying - potential revival/recovery/optimization? :), plus a 1TB external USB backup drive (JExternal HDD dead/dying - potential revival/recovery/optimization? :). I wanted to determine why the internal 1TB HDD seems to have some 'missing' space so I opened Optimize Drives.
    But Optimize Drives only lists the SSD (CExternal HDD dead/dying - potential revival/recovery/optimization? :), USB drive (JExternal HDD dead/dying - potential revival/recovery/optimization? :) and a System Reserved drive. It doesn't list the internal 1TB HDD.

So far my searches have turned up problems where extra drives aren't recognized at all, but mine works fine for everything else (I've moved Libraries there, created system images there, it shows in Explorer, etc.)

Edit: Device Manager indicates no issues with the drive. I've also right-clicked from Explorer > Properties > Tools > Optimize, and the list is still missing this drive.

Can anyone explain this or provide a solution?

Thank you!

Stephen

dopefish9, Aug 14, 2019
  3. Optime Drive - Doesn't Recognize External Hard Drive

When I Select "Defragment and Optimize Drives" my external USB 3.0 hard drive is not among the drives listed that can be analyzed or optimized. The reply to another similar post suggested reading and following the recommendations in a separate
    article "Optimize Windows for better performance" which I did but found no useful information there. Any other suggestions
    or alternatives?

RonKockler, Aug 14, 2019
  4. ruggb Win User

upgrading with a dead HDD

My 8.1 laptop has a dead HDD. I do not have Recovery DVDs.

How will I get W10 installed when I get my new HDD?

ruggb, Aug 14, 2019
Thema:

1. External HDD dead/dying - potential revival/recovery/optimization? - Similar Threads - External HDD dead

2. Is my HDD dead?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Is my HDD dead?: So, when I turn my PC on, I get this message: Windows has encountered a problem communicating with a device connected to your computer.This error can be caused by unplugging a removable storage device such as an external USB drive while the device is in use, or by faulty...
  3. Is my HDD dead?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is my HDD dead?: So, when I turn my PC on, I get this message: Windows has encountered a problem communicating with a device connected to your computer.This error can be caused by unplugging a removable storage device such as an external USB drive while the device is in use, or by faulty...
  4. Surveillance HDD - Is it dead or can it be revived

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Surveillance HDD - Is it dead or can it be revived: Firstly, I hope this is the right section, I was unsure between this and the drivers and hardware section. I have a surveillance HDD (Didn't realise it was surveillance when I bought it) and is also out of warranty. WD Purple 6TB I've built a new PC and had the odd start up...
  5. Surveillance HDD - Is it dead or can it be revived

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Surveillance HDD - Is it dead or can it be revived: Firstly, I hope this is the right section, I was unsure between this and the drivers and hardware section. I have a surveillance HDD (Didn't realise it was surveillance when I bought it) and is also out of warranty. WD Purple 6TB I've built a new PC and had the odd start up...
  6. "Dying" HDD

"Dying" HDD: So, I have been getting this error at bottom and whenever I boot, I get this error and a beep. I checked with multiple HDD Status programs but they all say just like 5 corrupted/bad sectors but I don't know if that's actually that bad, but when I boot into Windows, and I...
  7. Trying to revive a possibly dead hard drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Trying to revive a possibly dead hard drive: Hi everyone. I had a Seagate external HDD attached to my server for a couple of years and it recently stopped being recognised by the server. Plugging it into my windows machine doesn't make it show up in drive manager or explorer, though the disks still spin up when...
  8. Revive a dead CPU?

Revive a dead CPU?: Is it possible to revive a dead CPU? There are no broken/bent pins. Physically it looks 100% but the motherboard's vrm cooked and sparked. Placing the old cpu into the new board it doesn't boot. Powers on but I can't even get into the bios. 139944
  9. Dead/dying laptop

in Windows 10 Support
    Dead/dying laptop: I have a 7 year old HP laptop that has been totally bomb-proof, until yesterday. The cooling fan had been getting a bit noisy, and yesterday it finally locked up. Windows would not run without the cooling fan operating. I ordered a new fan overnight, and this afternoon I...
  10. HDD Optimization problem

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    HDD Optimization problem: Hi, On my Windows 10 system I have an SSD, a reserved for system HDD and another HDD (F) where I store most of my games. Basically automatic weekly optimization is scheduled, but I just checked the hard drive (F) and it showed me 12% fragmentation saying "needs optimization"....