Windows 10: External HDD disconnects when writing to it mid-way

Discus and support External HDD disconnects when writing to it mid-way in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I've been having this issue that when I plug my usb 3.0 external HDD (Hitachi hts547550A9E384 SATA-300 in a WD Elements SE Portable HDD enclosure) to a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Muhammad Usama_9, Sep 6, 2018.

1. Muhammad Usama_9 Win User

External HDD disconnects when writing to it mid-way

I've been having this issue that when I plug my usb 3.0 external HDD (Hitachi hts547550A9E384 SATA-300 in a WD Elements SE Portable HDD enclosure) to a usb 3.0 port, the copy fails mid way and shows either "Error: 0x8007045D", "Error: 0x80070037" or just a dialog box which says that the destination doesn't exist. However, on the usb 2.0 port the copy successfully executes. I've tried other USB 3.0 ports. I've tried checking the hdd for bad sectors and a "sfc scannow" but that didn't help. The external hdd works fine on my other computer with usb 3.0 port. Please help. Thanks!

:)

Muhammad Usama_9, Sep 6, 2018
  2. dermy Win User

External HDDs

Hi i had a seagate freeagent (external) which stopped working so i bought another enclosure and the hdd kept disconnecting/reconnecting in windows 8.1, so i boht another enclosure and also the same thing. Iv tried a different hdd and all hdds work perfectly when plugged directly into sata ports on the board, are there any other steps i can try or do you think iv just been unlucky with enclosures?

dermy, Sep 6, 2018
  3. rivre Win User
    chkdsk report cut off mid-way?

Any reason chkdsk cut off mid-way through the report? Is this normal when there's lots of corrupted files? Whats the point of a report if it's cut off mid-way? It starts listing the files one by one then cuts off mid-way through the list.

rivre, Sep 6, 2018
  4. Gerard Qui Win User

external HDD

Hi,

Usually, this problem occur due to software incompatibility or corrupted USB drivers. For us to better assist you, we would like to clarify the following:

• Have you made any recent changes on your computer prior to the issue?
    • Which driver did you uninstall? Have you reinstall the driver? If yes, how did you reinstall the driver?
    • Have you check if the external HDD is visible in Device Manager?

If the issue still persists after uninstalling some games, we suggest that you run the troubleshooter for hardware and devices. If you're using the latest Windows 10 version, follow these steps on how to run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter:

• Click the Start button and select the Settings
      icon.
    • Choose Update & Security from the list.
    • Click Troubleshoot in the left pane of the window.
    • Under Find and fix other problems, select Hardware and Devices and click
      Run the troubleshooter.

We're looking forward to your reply.

Gerard Qui, Sep 6, 2018
Thema:

1. External HDD disconnects when writing to it mid-way - Similar Threads - External HDD disconnects

2. Unable to write on HDD?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Unable to write on HDD?: I have Recently upgraded to Window 10 and transferred my computer to a new case. I used this opportunity to get a new SSD and HDD. My plan was to Have only windows 10 on my SSD and use the HDD as storage and for software that has frequent updates. Windows 10 recognizes...
  3. External Hard Drive Disconnected.

External Hard Drive Disconnected.: I tried to format my external hard drive to clear it out so I could start fresh with windows backup automatic in windows 10. Now I no longer have my (E:) drive under disk management. I have a disk 0 and 1 but do not know what they are. Under device manager it shows as...
  4. External HDD not detected

External HDD not detected: As I got the new Lenovo ideapad Miix 310, I tried to connect my 2.5inch Samsung M3 Portable to it, because I have some installation stuff on it. And while the HDD gets powered up and (usually) listed in Device Manager, it does not show in My Computer. It also doesn't show in...
  5. File association error when connecting external HDD

File association error when connecting external HDD: I keep getting the error: "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action" when I connect my Toshiba external hard drive which is just under 1TB (931GB) in storage capacity. The hard drive works completely fine and is recognised by the...
  6. "Brute Force" disconnecting USB External HDD

"Brute Force" disconnecting USB External HDD: Hi, I have 1 HDD connected to one USB 3.0 Port. When I connect a second HDD to another USB 3.0 Port, windows automatically Disconnects/Reconnects the First HDD. I can listen the Motor of the HDD going down, exactly as if I removed the Power Supply. This is not good. It...
  7. is there an easy way to use external drive and not the main HDD on pc?

is there an easy way to use external drive and not the main HDD on pc?: on my external drive it has around 899GB of memory. while the main drive has about 433GB. memory loss is always on my mind..even on this semi new pc. that is why i try and utilize a lot of programs that work off on the flash drive. [img] 70151
  8. External USB HDD not disconnecting properly

External USB HDD not disconnecting properly: In W10.1607 x86 when I eject a External USB HDD, it does not Power Down, I mean the Eject Procedure is not being totally finished. The Safe to Eject message appears but the light on HDD stays on and if I pull it out I can listen the Motor spinning down. That is it not good,...
  9. external display disconnects LAN?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    external display disconnects LAN?: So I'm using a laptop with windows 10 through HDMI to a TV for display, after 10-20 seconds my LAN on modem turns off. forcing me to restart modem because all devices disconnect. I am able to use the laptop without the TV turned on, but as soon as I turn on the TV my internet...
  10. chkdsk report cut off mid-way?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    chkdsk report cut off mid-way?: I'm having disc problems and I ran a chhdsk report. The report listed up to "Record 68 of 238: Corrupt File" and then the report cut off half-way through. So I can't see the rest of the 238 files that were affected. It says it repaired the files but in my experience the files...