Windows 10: External HDD does not show in My Computer

Discus and support External HDD does not show in My Computer in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi all, I am facing a problem in one of my external HDD. This HDD was installed in one of my desktops and was giving troubles. So I took it out and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ManuMittal, Jan 24, 2020.

1. External HDD does not show in My Computer

Hi all,

I am facing a problem in one of my external HDD.

This HDD was installed in one of my desktops and was giving troubles.

So I took it out and installed in an external case so retrieve the data.

The hard disk is detected by the computer but

it does not show up in my computer with any assigned drive letter.

For your reference I am sharing some screen shots.

Screen shot in Device Manager showing the External HDD as JMICRON Generic

External HDD does not show in My Computer 3aed5656-bf9a-458c-ae39-fd80972b334f?upload=true.png

Screen shot in one of the HDD utilities where the external HDD is detected

External HDD does not show in My Computer 33156950-634d-42f1-a096-d6ea88af1ba6?upload=true.png

External HDD does not show in My Computer f419a348-b1f7-4826-b620-8a930cf018bd?upload=true.png

Screen shot of the HDD in my computer where it is shown but I cannot access it.

External HDD does not show in My Computer a1bc35a4-9ea9-4972-aa39-fbf4595d29b2?upload=true.png Can some one help me in sorting this problem.

I want to connect to the HDD where I have my data and I want to retrieve the data.

Thank you for your time.

Regards, Manu

:)

ManuMittal, Jan 24, 2020

2. external HDD

Hi,

Usually, this problem occur due to software incompatibility or corrupted USB drivers. For us to better assist you, we would like to clarify the following:

• Have you made any recent changes on your computer prior to the issue?
    • Which driver did you uninstall? Have you reinstall the driver? If yes, how did you reinstall the driver?
    • Have you check if the external HDD is visible in Device Manager?

If the issue still persists after uninstalling some games, we suggest that you run the troubleshooter for hardware and devices. If you're using the latest Windows 10 version, follow these steps on how to run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter:

• Click the Start button and select the Settings
      icon.
    • Choose Update & Security from the list.
    • Click Troubleshoot in the left pane of the window.
    • Under Find and fix other problems, select Hardware and Devices and click
      Run the troubleshooter.

We're looking forward to your reply.

Gerard Qui, Jan 24, 2020
  3. Shared external hdd not showing up

I've also created a new HomeGroup to use and it's operating and sharing files from my computer, but it doesn't help to have the external hdd show up

EvanPurcell, Jan 24, 2020
  4. Robfusc8 Win User

External HDD does not show in My Computer

Quirky behaviour with external HDD

Hi,

In response to your questions

• Are all of the external drives from the same manufacturer?
    Yes, they are all Seagate SRDO0F1 of 500GB

• Have you attempted to restart the computer that could not read the external drive and also try to connect the external drive to a different port on the computer after testing the external drive on another computer?
    Yes to both, neither worked.

• Were there any recent changes made or updates installed prior to the issue occurring?
    No. PC-B is not permanently connected to the 'net.

I have used to 'Device manager' to check if there is an identified driver problem - nothing is flagged - and I would not expect one HDD to work, and the other not to, if there was a driver problem

Robfusc8, Jan 24, 2020
Thema:

External HDD does not show in My Computer

1. External HDD does not show in My Computer - Similar Threads - External HDD does

2. My external HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My external HDD: My external HDD is no longer listed on my files menu. It used to be fully accessible under the "F Drive". But now I can't gain access to any of my files that are on it. It doesn't show up under drives anymore, instead, it's under devices and printers. Is it possible I loaded...
  3. My external HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My external HDD: My external HDD is no longer listed on my files menu. It used to be fully accessible under the "F Drive". But now I can't gain access to any of my files that are on it. It doesn't show up under drives anymore, instead, it's under devices and printers. Is it possible I loaded...
  4. Issue with my External HDD not showing up

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Issue with my External HDD not showing up: Hello, I have tested my external HDD on two separate Windows 10 devices family members, and the external HDD works fine on both of them. My PC however, does not recognize the HDD. I hear the HDD start to spin, as well as the little indication light turn on, but it doesn't...
  5. External HDD not showing up in Device Manager (or My Computer)

External HDD not showing up in Device Manager (or My Computer): G'day all, I have 4 year old Seagate 1TB hard drive. I've tried connecting it to multiple Windows PCs but the same thing always happens: I connect it It makes the Windows sound that new hardware/usb has been connected. Nothing happens the drive does not appear in My Computer,...
  6. External hdd not showing in explorer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    External hdd not showing in explorer: I recently got a new laptop due to the screen on my old one being broken. So in order to save all my files, I popped out the hard drive and stuck it into a USB drive reader. It's powered on, I can hear it spinning. On my new laptop, the drive appears in device manager as well...
  7. External HDD not showing in Explorer

External HDD not showing in Explorer: Hi. I had a problem with my external drive not showing in Windows Explorer. I went into Disk Management and Formatted the drive in there and assigned a drive letter - now it is showing in Explorer. The problem I now have though is that when I try and plug the external drive...
  8. pc does not see my wd external hdd

pc does not see my wd external hdd: my pc does not see my external wd hdd connected to usb port https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/pc-does-not-see-my-wd-external-hdd/2f5bba80-1670-49e5-b4a4-0bd741d741d3
  9. External HDD shows up in Device Manager but not My Computer

External HDD shows up in Device Manager but not My Computer: Hi guys, I just tried to install Ubuntu from a USB stick alongside Windows 10, and have managed to make my external HDD disappear *Sad Halfway through my installation of Ubuntu I noticed that the software was trying to install from a 500GB drive (my external HDD)...
  10. External HDD not showing up

External HDD not showing up: Good day to all Having some issues with connecting my external HDD to my desktop .Upon connecting to the usb port nothing happens in the file explorer don't show up But looking in the device manager it shows up there and also shows an icon in the task bar next to the clock...