Windows 10: External HDD does not want to work on PC Windows 10

Discus and support External HDD does not want to work on PC Windows 10 in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello! I recently found an old external HDD that had been laying around. I was curious to what it contained so I plugged it in to my PC and thought... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Rozna, May 19, 2020.

1. Rozna Win User

External HDD does not want to work on PC Windows 10

Hello!

I recently found an old external HDD that had been laying around. I was curious to what it contained so I plugged it in to my PC and thought it would run smoothly. But it didn't. I get the sound that it is plugged in, but it doesn't show up anywhere except on the ''connected devices'' control place. It doesn't show up as an external HDD, but rather just a USB 3.0 connection. It contains no information about the HDD or what it is. Just plain USB connection.

So for a little while I thought the external HDD was broken, gotten too old, or perhaps just something along those things, but it turned on properly, lights worked and it even made sounds, so I assumed it worked. I then go curious to try it on my Mac and to my surprise it worked just like normal. It showed up as usual, all the information was available, everything worked perfectly. But then when I plugged it into my PC again, nothing worked.

I have tried to do everything I can, but I am at a stop now because I can't figure out how to make it work on my PC again. Especially when it doesn't even show up on my PC. What can I do on my Mac to make it work on my PC then? I have heard that it might be formatted with the IOS software or something, but I have no idea what that means. I have only found articles from like 2013 and earlier concerning this issue, so it would be amazing if someone could help me out with som new information.

The external HDD is a 500GB Toshiba HDD HDTB305EK3AA.

:)

Rozna, May 19, 2020
  2. dermy Win User

External HDDs

Hi i had a seagate freeagent (external) which stopped working so i bought another enclosure and the hdd kept disconnecting/reconnecting in windows 8.1, so i boht another enclosure and also the same thing. Iv tried a different hdd and all hdds work perfectly when plugged directly into sata ports on the board, are there any other steps i can try or do you think iv just been unlucky with enclosures?

dermy, May 19, 2020
  3. How to install Windows 10 on external HDD

Hello,

I have an external HDD. I want to install Windows 10 Enterprise which I have purchased recently.

Please guide me, if possible step by step on how to install Windows 10 on external HDD.

Thanks,

Siddarth Hegde

SidTheGooner, May 19, 2020
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, May 19, 2020
Thema:

1. External HDD does not want to work on PC Windows 10 - Similar Threads - External HDD does

2. Not booting windows 10 from external HDD in other PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Not booting windows 10 from external HDD in other PC: Here is a scenario i am facing right now. I had hdd in my laptop with windows 10 with 4 partitions along with system reserved. I repalced hdd with ssd and got an enclosure for the hdd. I got another laptop that had win 10 running in it but its hdd got corrupted and i threw it...
  3. Not booting windows 10 from external HDD in other PC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Not booting windows 10 from external HDD in other PC: Here is a scenario i am facing right now. I had hdd in my laptop with windows 10 with 4 partitions along with system reserved. I repalced hdd with ssd and got an enclosure for the hdd. I got another laptop that had win 10 running in it but its hdd got corrupted and i threw it...
  4. Not booting windows 10 from external HDD in other PC

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Want to delete files on external HDD, but can't.

in Windows 10 Support
    Want to delete files on external HDD, but can't.: Windows Version: 20H2 Build 19042.985 I have an external HDD that is a leftover from a previous laptop and I'm using it for backup. I deleted what I could from it, but it still has some files left that I can't delete. When I try, I get a message telling me I need...
  6. External HDD not accessible under Windows 10 but works on Mac?

External HDD not accessible under Windows 10 but works on Mac?: Long story short Toshiba HDD worked in the past. Something happened in the last 3 months or so and it now doesn't work anymore. Says : access is denied. Read on internet what solutions there are and I've tried the following : Change security access -> I have no security...
  7. Windows 10 - Some of the external HDD is not working

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 - Some of the external HDD is not working: When i connect to external HDD to my laptop and its detecting and its not showing files,I can see that from device manager connected but its showing device not migrated . when i connect to mac its working properly please advise....
  8. pc does not see my wd external hdd

pc does not see my wd external hdd: my pc does not see my external wd hdd connected to usb port https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/pc-does-not-see-my-wd-external-hdd/2f5bba80-1670-49e5-b4a4-0bd741d741d3
  9. External HDD not working after windows 10 upgrade

External HDD not working after windows 10 upgrade: I upgraded my Acer Aspire 5750G from Windows 7 to 10 today. My Toshiba STOR.E Basics 1 TB HDD was working at first, but later when I tried to access it, it gives me an error saying "E:\ is not accessible. The parameter is incorrect." I checked the Device Status and it read...
  10. External hdd recognized in comp mgmt but wants to format

External hdd recognized in comp mgmt but wants to format: My external hdd can be opened in pc, but in laptop it wants to Format. It asks to give it another drive letter, which I do, but still says " do you want to format?" How can I get this drive to open? I also tried Disc Clean. Same message. Thanks, Paul 97925